AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Adding weight to flex frame planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pbutler
Posted 6/27/2017 07:39 (#6092113)
Subject: Adding weight to flex frame planter

Macon, IL
I redid an old 16 row 7000 planter and converted to electric. All transmissions, shafts, etc. removed. Planter was excellent-but had some depth control issues-most resolved but last couple no-till fields I would still see some shallower planted crop when going faster in open spaces. Raised up floating row cleaners (adding about 70 lb per row) and it resolved it-but I want to run them down. Have determined there just isn't enough weight on the planter to keep in at full depth in no-till in all situations.

I am having some brackets made to hold suitcase weights-like that because can be added and removed easily-also may remove markers since didn't use them and could easily add more. Plan to add 500lb to center frame and 400lb to each wing. Center section is easy-since no transmission. On wings its harder-due to location of lift wheel cylinders, etc. the best place to add is 3rd row in-inside of both outer lift wheels. See pic below-white arrows are where weight will be added.

Red arrows are planter flex points.

Do you think adding weight there will cause the wings to "bow"-meaning since they are inside 3 rows and inside lift wheels that the two inside rows of wing would plant deeper and wing would "smile" and outside row flex up?

I could do other weight options like adding to top of frame-or building a "bridge"-but that is going to be a lot more expensive an not as clean.

Thoughts?

(planterweight2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments planterweight2.jpg (130KB - 78 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)