AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wi Fi into wired computer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Aussy Harold
Posted 6/6/2017 02:59 (#6056697)
Subject: Wi Fi into wired computer

North East Wimmera district of Victoria.

Just looking into upgrading my computers - one is 10 yr old, running Win XP!
Not the reason for this post.
Home computer is connected physically [wired] to the internet router.
Our internet connection is via ADSL - plenty of download speed to watch TV on 'I View' when we miss a program we wanted to see, and forgot to set the recording up.
Currently our internet connection via copper phone line is down, but I have internet access via a sim card in a device that accesses the mobile phone system - so I am not completely off the air. This device is able to connect to any computer with WiFi. We use it to access the internet when away from home, using either a Samsung android tablet, or this laptop I am currently using - the one on Win XP.
Problem is the home computer does not have WiFi ability.
Question -
Is there a USB device that will be a WiFi plug so I can use the internet on the home computer? [This would be via the above phone access device.]
My wife and I do use the internet a fair bit, but do not need a super high speed connection.
We thought that our carrier - Telstra -would cure the problem that is their lines quickly, but were told today to expect two weeks until  it is sorted.

Another useful WiFi  'plug in' would be for a perfectly good HP laser printer that currently is wired to the computer.

Thanks in advance for the usual helpful info from NAT users. 

Added before posting - our country town is not yet on fibre optic cable. Residents outside the town boundaries can access National Broadband via a small aerial wirelessly, but we were advised to stay on copper cable for the present. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)