AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Germination problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JimAus
Posted 10/27/2008 04:59 (#491800)
Subject: Corn Germination problems

Victoria, Australia

Just finished planting some corn, and have been a bit concerned at the time it is taking to germinate (up to 2weeks). Dug some seeds up and am finding a lot that have swollen but not germinated and have gone a bit dark and soft (pythium?) and quite a few that have germinated but seem to have brown discoloration around the lower shoot near the seed, with limited or no roots also (seed pics). Other plants are pushing out three leaves.

Planter runs that were sown two days earlier seem to be emerged and quite good. I know this would suggest soil temp, but I just didn't think it got that cold.

We had a warm start but was followed by three frosts in a row. Soil temp at 9.00am got down to 10 deg C for a couple of days, moisture is good. Could the cold snap knock the germinating seed? or could it be fert. burn.

I have never had fert problems in the past using the same system all on 26" rows (soild stand), even on skip row with the same fertiliser rates ( 12-13-12 @ 125kg/Ha + 46-0-0 (urea) @ 120kg/Ha)  using cross-slot seeder that places it about 1" to the side of seed. Maybe in the past I've been lucky? Anyway I think it will be a replant, which i'm not really excited about, but if anyone has some suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Thanks 

Jim

Oh yeah, there wernt that many emerged plants that showed these symptoms (like in the pics) my main concern were the large amounts of ones that had only swollen and hadn't germinated at all, I just thought these could have been ones that had  been injured and not killed off totally and may give you some clues to the underlying problem.

Edited by JimAus 10/27/2008 05:09

(scan0001.jpg)

(scan0002.jpg)

(scan0003.jpg)

(scan0004.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments scan0001.jpg (37KB - 446 downloads)
Attachments scan0002.jpg (44KB - 459 downloads)
Attachments scan0003.jpg (10KB - 457 downloads)
Attachments scan0004.jpg (34KB - 448 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)