AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is power steering fluid same as tractor hydraulic oil?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

kjs3
Posted 2/22/2017 18:30 (#5856646)
Subject: Is power steering fluid same as tractor hydraulic oil?

se wi
Any experts know? Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nathan (SD)
Posted 2/22/2017 19:11 (#5856737 - in reply to #5856646)
Subject: RE: Is power steering fluid same as tractor hydraulic oil?

Day Co. SD
I use hydraulic oil for power steering fluid, but never the other way around. But my stuff is old and leaks.I know you asked for experts but I answered anyway.
IAGary
Posted 2/22/2017 19:30 (#5856775 - in reply to #5856646)

Southeast Iowa
Most likely it will not hurt anything.

Everything I have used hydraulic fluid instead of the power steering fluid seemed to steer harder with the hydraulic fluid versus using power steering fluid or ATF.
Jim Naden
Posted 2/22/2017 19:34 (#5856789 - in reply to #5856646)

Southeastern Tipton County, Indiana

At the first IH dealership I worked at (mid '70s) we had a customer that had a trucking company and owned a USAC sprint car.

One day Virgil came in and was griping about this high priced fluid he had to buy to use in the power steering system which was new at the time to sprint cars. Virgil said the main reason they gave for having to use only this special fluid was it's superior anti foaming quality. Phil (the owner) told Virgil that Hy-Tran had excellent anti foaming characteristics and asked Virgil to bring some of the fluid next time he came in.

The next time Virgil came in he had the fluid with him. We poured some out, smelled it, compared colors and sure enough, it was Hy-Tran packaged in quarts and priced at a level that would have people today griping about the outrageous cost.    

I had a 1981 Granada that leaked steering fluid out the ends of the rack and pinion unit until I started saving old Hy Tran to use in it. After a about a month of Hy Tran the leakage stopped due to the seal swelling additives in Hy Tran. 

As mentioned already, power steering fluid isn't tractor hydraulic oil, but tractor hydraulic oil can be power steering fluid.

730diesel
Posted 2/22/2017 19:47 (#5856822 - in reply to #5856646)

NE ND
I would say that power steering fluid is more like automatic transmission oil such as Dexron. I have put seal kits in two Sheppard steering gears on class 8 trucks. In the instructions they list about 10 different automatic transmission oils and power steering oils that are compatible. After reading that I just quit buying power steering oil. I would think 10W like in a 9600 JD combine would be pretty close, heck, it is driving the hydro all day.
hd6gtom
Posted 2/22/2017 20:24 (#5856926 - in reply to #5856646)

No.
roush9799
Posted 2/22/2017 21:09 (#5857050 - in reply to #5856646)

West Central IL

I asked this about what to put in our 60 were restoring for power steering fluid.  Deere actually still makes a power steering fluid for those tractors.

Iowajim
Posted 2/22/2017 21:25 (#5857077 - in reply to #5857050)

NW Iowa
And nobody, but nobody can tell me what is special about Deere's power steering fluid for two bangers. I have used Hy Tran in my 630 power steering for years without trouble.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)