AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybeans froze before ripe
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Tim in WI
Posted 10/16/2008 14:25 (#483811)
Subject: Soybeans froze before ripe

Embarrass WI

Most of my soybeans have some green pods and beans, the green beans are like little rubber balls. I think they will mostly thresh out, will I get more seeds out if I wait? Some of the pods are soft and don't open easily. I was thinking I could either let them blow out the back, and lose some good, small seeds. Or else run the combine to keep them in the tank and have to run each load through a grain cleaner(which I don't have).

Guys with more bean experience, which is my best option?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gambler
Posted 10/16/2008 17:42 (#483915 - in reply to #483811)
Subject: RE: Soybeans froze before ripe

Are you planning on keeping these beans at home or deliver right to elevator ?

did a custom job that outside of feild was very green alot of grass green pods back headland was beside a Bush and really bad with full green pods so told farmer i will take off outside round and keep it all in one wagon he delivered them mositure 12.6 with .03 dockage stacked the load best i could :) good in the back poddy stuff in the front told him just make sure to drive past the probe a bit lol

If you plan on storing at home i would wait them out a bit
Clay-All-Over
Posted 10/16/2008 20:15 (#484003 - in reply to #483811)

Eastern Ontario

It's going to take a loing time before those soft beans will fully dry. Longer than naturally. Could take two weeks.

If you are going to store them at home,  I've heard that green beans will turn yellow in time.

Jim in MN
Posted 10/16/2008 20:20 (#484009 - in reply to #484003)

You are right. Green beans will turn yellow in the bin. Not sure how long it takes but not too long. Well worth the wait. Jim J
hinfarm
Posted 10/16/2008 21:39 (#484107 - in reply to #484009)
Subject: Re: Soybeans froze before ripe

Amherst WI
I wouldn't doddle on getting those beans out where you are. I am usually done with beans by now but I am not even half done. The snow isn't that far away.
BRIAN
Posted 10/16/2008 22:14 (#484139 - in reply to #483811)

Graymont Illinois

Not sure about your area Tim, but there has been years when beans looked green with leaves but tested dry/ 10-13 %.

Lots of butter beans, but testing dry.

Overnight the moisture might gain a point or two in the truck or wagon.

We seem to have 10% beans due to drying weather, when they are ready.

If butter beans, can help your moisture sample, sometimes that works to your advantage.

Elevator may not like it, but they blend, for profit:>)

At least that is what I believe.

Tim in WI
Posted 10/16/2008 22:27 (#484157 - in reply to #484107)
Subject: Re: Soybeans froze before ripe

Embarrass WI

That's why I'm nervous about them. My main guy who usually runs the combine tried to tell me they couldn't be combined and left for home. I went and personally looked at one field, I think 90+% of them will thresh OK but by that time it was too late to start moving stuff to the field with no help.

I'm going to try them tomorrow, if it sorta-works I'm gonna keep it running. Still have to chop my 112 day corn for silage, chopper is tied up with custom til tomorrow too. Looks like a busy weekend coming up.

Bluepaint
Posted 10/17/2008 22:37 (#484911 - in reply to #484139)

Manitoba canada
It depends how much is like this if it's just areas and general % is ok i just pick at those areas occasionally and mix em in it will ripen in the bin....
I cut a lot of mine at over 14% but hauled a few loads last week to fill contract and had come down a lot and all made "DRY".
Looking at the fields now in standing water i think it's too late too be fussy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)