AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Morton Building opinions
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

idaho dry farmer
Posted 1/29/2017 09:28 (#5801844)
Subject: Morton Building opinions

Southern Idaho
Wanting opinions of this company and there products. Thanks

IDF
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bleedred
Posted 1/29/2017 09:36 (#5801870 - in reply to #5801844)
Subject: RE: Morton Building opinions

East Central Ia
They seem to be at the top end of the pricing range. Not sure they do anything much better then some of the other building manufacturers to justify it honestly.

We built an EPS building a few years ago and it was significantly cheaper then the Morton we priced. Very happy with our buildings quality and our builder has been out 2-3 times in the last couple years for some small things. Any issues were handled quickly and to our satisfaction.

I do believe Morton builds a nice building, but the extra cost has to be taken into consideration.
Mule 1
Posted 1/29/2017 09:45 (#5801901 - in reply to #5801870)

Mid-Michigan
have had a shop and three sheds built for me from Morton. One shed was over ten years old and paint started to come off roof. The replaced entire roof with no charge. Have been very happy with them and I think they look as good as when built except for where I damaged them from being an old fool.
thumb farmer
Posted 1/29/2017 09:48 (#5801916 - in reply to #5801844)

Port Austin Mi.
I looked at Morton and Walters, I went with Walters.
AGB
Posted 1/29/2017 09:50 (#5801919 - in reply to #5801844)

Mid-Michigan
They are a great company. We have three of their buildings. I think they have better paint, lumber and workmanship. Your building will be up when they say it will and the site will be clean. They can do about anything you want and as fancy or plain as you want. With that being said, they are probably the most expensive way to go. If the building is part of your homesite and part of your landscape you can't go wrong. The problem is the price. But I do think you get what you pay for.
KWinWCIL
Posted 1/29/2017 09:59 (#5801949 - in reply to #5801844)

Vermont, IL
I have 3, the first erected in 1981 and the last in 2016. The last one was quoted a little less than a Wick building comparing apples to apples. I had some post rot on the 1981 build (those were the old 6x6 posts) and they did a great job of fixing the bad posts with concrete last year. Totally on them which I thought was pretty good for a 35 year old building.
tecumseh
Posted 1/29/2017 10:11 (#5801974 - in reply to #5801844)

Tecumseh, MI
I had a Morton barn built this last summer. I know it cost more but finally after 70 years I have learned to just get what I want. I've been replacing all the posts in the buildings built in the 60's and 70's. I think they were better back then than they are today, so concrete posts were the number one priority for me. Morton wants to control the whole job but you will save a considerable amount by hiring the excavation and concrete work done locally. Now after all is finished I couldn't be happier. The LED lights are great, when all are on they draw 3 amps.

Edited by tecumseh 1/29/2017 10:29

(CementPost.jpg)

(PostInHole.jpg)

(LED Lights.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CementPost.jpg (125KB - 257 downloads)
Attachments PostInHole.jpg (116KB - 239 downloads)
Attachments LED Lights.jpg (83KB - 261 downloads)
wheat fallow
Posted 1/29/2017 10:29 (#5802024 - in reply to #5801844)

west Nebraska northeast Colorado
I put up a 48' x 63' Morton several years ago. The crew was professional and did a good job. A few minor issues showed up over the last few years and Morton fixed them all at no cost to me. Have had wind events in this region where Morton building had very minor damage and "brand x" building came down. If I were doing another wood frame building I wouldn't look anywhere else.
SD-455
Posted 1/29/2017 10:32 (#5802031 - in reply to #5801844)

Northeast Indiana (Auburn)
I have two Morton buildings. One was built in 1969 and the other in 1983. The one built in 1969 needs painted and has some rotted wood at the eaves. The 1983 building looks like it did when built except for paint fade. They are good buildings with heavier gauge steel than other builders.
mcfarm
Posted 1/29/2017 10:37 (#5802041 - in reply to #5802031)

central Indiana
did all you Morton guys have to haul the excess trash away at your own expense and pick nails and screws for couple months? then end up with a leaking shop roof? Starting to figure out they love you til they get their money
tecumseh
Posted 1/29/2017 10:45 (#5802054 - in reply to #5802041)

Tecumseh, MI
I expect that what ever Manufacturer you select it's only as good as the crew that builds it. Sorry you had some issues! My crew worked in 90+ temps, seemed to never stop except for lunch and kept the place immaculate.
ILMOfarm
Posted 1/29/2017 10:50 (#5802065 - in reply to #5801844)

WCIL
Have you considered looking at steel clear span building. No issues with rotting posts or sagging doors. Higher wind and snow loads options too. We've built 3 steel buildings since 2008 and am very happy with them. Can't see going back to wood frame ever again. All said and done the price on all of them being very competitive to wood frame building
ltct04
Posted 1/29/2017 10:56 (#5802082 - in reply to #5801870)

east central iowa
+ 1 on the eps
BOGTROTTER
Posted 1/29/2017 10:58 (#5802090 - in reply to #5802054)

Kingston,Mi
Look at the photos of Tecumseh's prefab posts. They improved the Perma-Column concept with an infinitely adjustable leg, this allows the mount surface to be fine tuned to a perfect alignment. The Morton salesman said they have the patent and also pay a royalty for the original design. So you can choose to use Perma-Column or the improved and exclusive Morton version.
jd4930
Posted 1/29/2017 11:00 (#5802101 - in reply to #5802065)

Central ND
All steel here from now on, couple sheds went down due to wind last summer and I noticed they were replaced with steel also.
SFO
Posted 1/29/2017 11:04 (#5802110 - in reply to #5802065)

Findlay, Ohio

Yes, our last building was a Butler steel building.

KWinWCIL
Posted 1/29/2017 11:19 (#5802148 - in reply to #5802041)

Vermont, IL
Morton supplied a big rolloff dumpster. I didn't have to pick up anything...in fact after they left the jobsite, I went "dumpster diving" to keep some of the material they were going to haul off!
NMO Redpower
Posted 1/29/2017 11:28 (#5802168 - in reply to #5801844)

MO
Good building until you pay for it and have problems. There is no service after the sale at all. The salesman is your best friend until he gets the check, then won't answer your calls. I've had my 30' door blow in twice now. The last time I had a local builder come in and actually fix it right, Morton just fixed it back the way it was before which obviously wasn't strong enough. My walk in door has leaked under it ever since the building was built and they couldn't fix. They finally told me I had to live with it. After all that crap when I built my shed I went with a local builder. Better building IMO and perfect service anytime I've needed anything. Morton sucks and doesn't care that they suck.

Edited by NMO Redpower 1/29/2017 11:29
farmindog
Posted 1/29/2017 11:44 (#5802199 - in reply to #5801974)

where did you get the LEDS?
tecumseh
Posted 1/29/2017 11:47 (#5802205 - in reply to #5802168)

Tecumseh, MI
Well if they don't have a Corporate Hotline, maybe they need one. Today with the internet and forums like these, you must take care of your customers. PERIOD!
jfg5
Posted 1/29/2017 11:47 (#5802208 - in reply to #5801844)

I have had a Morton full crew out four times in the past 20 plus years. The first two involved a build and an add on. The third involved the construction of an economy line of buildings it sold for a while ( Country Craft). My experiences with the first building and its addition were excellent. The third was not as favorable. It involved a different salesman and crew from a different location. After that third I decided I would not put up another Morton building. When it came time for the last building, I had no intention of calling Morton. The problem was none of the other contractors I called seemed interested in my project. Reluctantly I called Morton. I wanted a building constructed on an expedited basis. In short, I ended up with Morton again. I paid a princely sum but got the building I wanted when I wanted it. The other guys didn't seem to want to return my call. My memory is Morton will leave your place free of any construction trash if you pay extra for that service. If you don't pay you will have things to pick up. Even my Country Craft ( I sometimes call it something else initialed C.C.) has held up well. Morton builds a good farm storage shed. I have no experience with its other products.
tecumseh
Posted 1/29/2017 11:49 (#5802212 - in reply to #5802199)

Tecumseh, MI
Superior Lighting

(LED Info.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments LED Info.jpg (58KB - 244 downloads)
cainfarmer
Posted 1/29/2017 11:59 (#5802236 - in reply to #5801844)

SE Nebraska

I put up a Morton building in 1981. Posts had a 25 year warranty. They came out on year 25 and inspected and repaired the posts that were rotten.

R2farm
Posted 1/29/2017 12:19 (#5802287 - in reply to #5801844)

sw Nebraska
I think it is going to boil down to your particular sales location. I put up a 60X100X16 in 2012, needed the sec 179 for the year, put down money in Feb, site was ready by Sept, salesman promised he could get it done. We finished harvest late October and no action, called salesman, he tried to weasel out of promise, started climbing the ladder, went to the top at Morton HQ, and only dealt with Location manager from then on. Crew came in February, they were very professional, cleaned up at night, respectful of our farm activities, like not blocking driveways etc. Building had very good lumber and building is straight, level and plumb. It has a 24 foot overhead (Raynor) and a 36 foot slider. The double slider hangs on a steel I-beam and rolls very easy. I made a list of slight imperfections and gave to the crew boss and all were fixed before the crew left. A year and a half later I noticed a truss chord starting to split, really minor, about a half inch splitting away. Location manager retired and salesman I had problems with was now manager. I called about the splitting truss, they sent new salesman to look at it, asked him if he wanted me to run him up in my man lift , he said no he could take pictures and he said it was non-structural anyway. Manager said building was out of warranty, and it would be $1800 to fix by sandwiching the affected board with a 2X8X8 on each side. I told them to tell me how they wanted it done as I could easily do the repairs for less $100, no deal. I sent them a document to sign that stated defect was non-structural and they would not sign saying they did not have sufficient evidence to make that claim as they were not close enough to the truss to tell. I took a look from my man lift and it was readily apparent the crack was started by metal banding during transport. Minden Nebraska office. Apparently Scottsbluff is much better, but they won't bid me for whatever reason.

Edited by R2farm 1/29/2017 15:08
stampmaint1
Posted 1/29/2017 12:37 (#5802328 - in reply to #5802287)

nebraska
We bought a Morton building. 60x105. I chose Morton because of several reasons. Laminated columns with extra green treating on the sections that were on the bottom. They use number 1 southern yellow pine lumber. Other than paint fading I have no problems. It used to have a charcoal colored roof that is now white. It had a paint fading warranty. It lasted ok during that time. Warranty is long gone now. I guess it is better that than a rusty roof. Ours was put up in 1988. It cost $ 24,000. That was a lot of money back then.
TP from Central PA
Posted 1/29/2017 12:53 (#5802371 - in reply to #5801844)

I don't have any dealings with them, but watched them build a building for a local here. I was impressed with their column design as shown in other pictures here, and was amazed at the lengths they went through to keep everything square and plumb. I know they are more expensive but the above takes time and know how and that will cost money. Also they followed safety rules and again doing that correctly also will add cost.

Now all that compared to the Amish establishments here which are a lot cheaper, but they don't seem capable to measure any more exact than the nearest half foot with the cutting machine being a chainsaw, throw it up quick, and could care less about safety. I can easily see how Morton is more expensive.
IndianLakeFarm
Posted 1/29/2017 13:01 (#5802391 - in reply to #5801844)

Motron builds attractive buildings ..

Yes their Price is higher .. They cut on materials to save costs too .. They use a truss every 7'6" instead of every 4' they don't use a header .. Morton is really good on Warranty ..

If you have a reputable local builder , you can get a stronger building for less. Morton's big selling point is a 20 year wind and snow load Warranty ..

Their buildings don't Normally meat BOCA Codes.. being an AG building allows them to cut corners on strength .. by cutting on materials

I had a 54' x 75' Morton built in 1989 the paint on roof fell off .. It was Plastic 30 mil paint .. huge Lawsuit Morton against Dow DuPont or whomever ..

Morton put a new roof on my building for FREE before the 20 years was up

even though the paint fell off .. metal was galvanized too and had not started rusting yet

They set 2" x 4" perlins on edge and use screws on the roof .. not nails which always come loose
AGB
Posted 1/29/2017 13:22 (#5802452 - in reply to #5802041)

Mid-Michigan
mcfarm - 1/29/2017 10:37

did all you Morton guys have to haul the excess trash away at your own expense and pick nails and screws for couple months? then end up with a leaking shop roof? Starting to figure out they love you til they get their money

I didn't have to clean up a thing. If you had a leak, did you tell them? I'll guarantee they would be there in less than a week.
NMO Redpower
Posted 1/29/2017 13:25 (#5802462 - in reply to #5802452)

MO
I'll guarantee that they won't be there with in a week.
AGB
Posted 1/29/2017 13:37 (#5802490 - in reply to #5802462)

Mid-Michigan
I'd hate to take your money on a bet.
Gerald J.
Posted 1/29/2017 13:41 (#5802499 - in reply to #5802490)

I bought an acreage with a Morton building in 2009 and was having problems with the sliding doors. I talked to the local Morton office in Marshalltown and he promised to look at it but I've not seen him yet. I have fixed the sliding doors myself.

Gerald J.
Gerald J.
Posted 1/29/2017 13:53 (#5802526 - in reply to #5801844)

Best I can tell from getting prices 15 years or so ago, Morton was the most expensive. Getting quotes at farm shows was in minutes from Morton, some places took my print but never quoted. Some quoted with lower eaves than required for side wall doors with adequate clearance for things I wanted to put in. Asked for 14' high doors and some quoted 14' foot high eaves which can't work.

Checking for snow loads, Cleary was often the cheapest but in the fine print not rated for typical central Iowa snow loads.

I went with a Wicks for the second building on my farm and it has done well and was significantly cheaper than a Morton to the same specifications. The crew worked hard and their boss rejected one big board from the factory shipment and chopped the split board into fire wood and got another delivered. It was the top of the north wall and a board his crew was going to spend considerable time sitting on it. The posts are laminated with good ground contact treatment for the buried parts and the tin is all screwed on, no nails.

I have a Morton at the house, at least the third owner, I've asked the nearest Morton office to help with the sticky sliding doors but in 7 years haven't seen anyone from that office show up. I have fixed the doors myself.

Gerald J.
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 1/29/2017 13:54 (#5802528 - in reply to #5801844)

just a tish NE of central ND
A guy I used to know had an insulated morton with heat..and he thought the world of it.I thought it looked like a cheaply/weak/ constructed building with not much materials.But it is much better than what I have.. It looked pretty though.But that is all it neededto do since the guy didnt hardly lift a finger in it anyways as far as work goes.

Edited by School Of Hard Knock 1/29/2017 13:55
nav698
Posted 1/29/2017 13:54 (#5802529 - in reply to #5802065)

SW MN
+1 will be all steel buildings here
sport
Posted 1/29/2017 13:58 (#5802539 - in reply to #5802391)

nebraska
Just put up a new lester. Morton would not even give me a quate. Told him what I wanted and he said to give him 2 weeks. Never heard from him again. 80 X 120 insulated building. I looked at a lot of buildings. It mainly comes down to the crew and salesman on what kind of building you will get. Prices will be all over. There was a 15000 $ difference on my building between a farm building and a coded building no matter what company I was looking at. You can probably put a steel building up cheaper also right now but there is a big difference is specs there also. Same company I bought my lester from also sold butler which I would say is the best shed right now quoted me 12,000 more for that. Only reason I did not put that up was we know we will be adding office space and maybe some other things in the future and easier in a wood frame building. I would not even consider a Morton now.
idaho dry farmer
Posted 1/29/2017 14:02 (#5802546 - in reply to #5801844)
Subject: Thanks Guys

Southern Idaho
The closest Morton rep is 150 miles away..... I think I might bid with a local builder

IDF
retento
Posted 1/29/2017 14:08 (#5802559 - in reply to #5802528)

Eastern North Carolina
Got three 12'x36' pasture three side turnout sheds, horses beating on them 24 hours a day..... Never had to adjust, replace or tighten anything up. 48'x120' machine shed with eight Morton horse stall in on either side at one end end. Again have never had any problems or have never had to call them back for warranty or any repairs... Need to build another 12'x36' pasture turnout shed, probably be calling Morton in the next few weeks...!

packerfan
Posted 1/29/2017 14:15 (#5802577 - in reply to #5801844)

Western illinois
Great product, poor service.
AGB
Posted 1/29/2017 14:24 (#5802600 - in reply to #5802499)

Mid-Michigan
Not the experience I've had. Guess things are different in different places.
packerfan
Posted 1/29/2017 14:24 (#5802602 - in reply to #5802168)

Western illinois
We must be in the same territory. Your experience sounds familiar. It only took me 3 years to get my doors adjusted correctly. I never did get a price on the eyebrow I asked for. I guess you're not supposed to answer their surveys honestly. Lol
Deerfield
Posted 1/29/2017 16:16 (#5802862 - in reply to #5802577)

Nw ohio
Great product great sevice here would never build anything but a Morton
Swartzfarms
Posted 1/29/2017 16:48 (#5802922 - in reply to #5802462)

North East IL
Man, you are bitter about this building!!

Morton is the one of the big names in central IL for obvious reasons. There is pretty much any builder that builds ag sheds ready to knock on your door.

FWIW, I just built a Lester shop, because of the design in trusses and strength in the building. and the price was cheaper. Er, wait, I tried calling them 5 times for a price and they never sent me one.

We have Morton sheds, and they are a good building, but I would definitely price around. Find someone who knows how to read the fine print for strength when they design you one. they aren't the only ones who build decent buildings.

Except for NMO Redpowers lemon!
andyfarmer
Posted 1/29/2017 20:12 (#5803536 - in reply to #5802529)

SE ND
nav698 - 1/29/2017 13:54

+1 will be all steel buildings here

+1
PeteMN
Posted 1/29/2017 22:44 (#5803948 - in reply to #5802148)

E.Central MN
Same here, figured I could use some of the stuff they threw in the dumpster if I decided to build a calf shed/dog house. I don't throw away lumber pieces, am always looking for something to use for a block. Wasn't that much stuff in the dumpster anyway. Tore an old shed down and built next to it so I knew there would be a few stray nails/screws laying around. So some screws/nails showed up when I ran a rake across the surface both inside and outside. But the crew did a good job of cleaning up considering that they built the new shed in less than a week. I'm sure it depends on the crew, the ones on the crew here had all been working together for at least 10 years.
PeteMN
Posted 1/29/2017 22:55 (#5803961 - in reply to #5802539)

E.Central MN
Lester and Butler are the same company, I think Butler bought out Lester as Lester was out of business a few times.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)