AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

HP or Powerlift doors in new shed?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

The BOSS
Posted 1/25/2017 18:40 (#5793969)
Subject: HP or Powerlift doors in new shed?

Building a new machine shed got the door on the end narrowed down to Powerlift (or similar single piece folding door) or a Higher Power (HP). Door looks to be 40x18 I know the HP takes up 6" of space overhead but I can move the opening up to accommodate that. For anyone that has them or been around them both which do you prefer? They are both priced the same at this point. I'll have to spend a couple grand adding a header to support the powerlift if I go that route, which makes the HP look more appealing. For those with both has one been more maintenance/ problematic? Seems like the powerlift sells a lot more but are they really better? Shed's going to be here awhile so don't want to do it wrong, but corn ain't $7 either.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
versitile 535
Posted 1/25/2017 18:48 (#5793998 - in reply to #5793969)
Subject: RE: HP or Powerlift doors in new shed?

North central IL.
Thinking of doing the same thing, how much do they cost? Do you use the same steel as the shed ? Is a 30 foot door much cheaper and can you use the same hyd. Pump for more then one door?
seedcleaner
Posted 1/25/2017 18:54 (#5794015 - in reply to #5793969)

Mid-Missouri
I have always like the looks of the Higher Power. I would go that route, it just makes sense.

http://www.hpdoors.com/
Steady Eddie
Posted 1/25/2017 18:57 (#5794026 - in reply to #5793969)

SE IL / SW IN
I put in a HP 35 X 18 a couple years ago, trouble free so far. Like you mentioned they are self supporting which saves you some money. As you probably know, it goes up about 6" before it swings out which is nice if you are in a snow climate. Very smooth operating also.
tanner
Posted 1/25/2017 19:35 (#5794151 - in reply to #5793969)

Northern Ks
Brother in law has a door like the HP not sure, looks like the one in picture, he has had a while, said only maint he had was the roller or bearing part at top replaced. One neighbor has power lift and has replaced pins on lift cylinders.
The BOSS
Posted 1/25/2017 19:50 (#5794183 - in reply to #5794151)

How long has he had it to need to replace that bearing. Same question for the powerlift pins?

versitile 535- I was told (nothing in writing) 2500 more to go 10' wider on my 18' tall)
versitile 535
Posted 1/25/2017 20:08 (#5794227 - in reply to #5794183)

North central IL.
Aprox.cost for the 40 foot?
The BOSS
Posted 1/25/2017 20:13 (#5794249 - in reply to #5794227)

$15 +/- I'm looking for a cheaper option.
nekfarmer
Posted 1/25/2017 20:32 (#5794307 - in reply to #5794249)

NE KS
I wouldn't buy a drink of water if I was dying of thirst from HP after talking to the owner. I went with powerlift, 1. because I could actually deal with them, and 2. because they have dealers all over so they was only 2 hrs from me if I have a problem. HP said he will fly out to where ever the door is to fix the problem (yeah right!!) When ordering my building (all steel) the builder said I needed a header support with the HP or powerlift. He said powerlift puts more pull on the building than the HP but HP still needed support. On a steel building the support doesn't amount to much. Just a 4x4 square tube that goes from the door header to the second beam.

Almost forgot powerlift door is sold installed, HP you install yourself. Which leaves the door open to more issues.
jamiebenz
Posted 1/25/2017 21:57 (#5794595 - in reply to #5793969)

South Central Kansas
I have 2 30x18 higher power doors. If I build again with a need for overhead doors I will not price any other brand!!!!!!!!!! They put virtually no stress on the building, Watch the video.
frmbig1
Posted 1/25/2017 23:39 (#5794785 - in reply to #5794307)

I bought a HP door for our shop and had an issue. And yes the owner of the company did fly down and fixed the issue free. Nice door that was easy to install and smooth operating. Only door I would put in. 16x 40
NC4620
Posted 1/26/2017 07:46 (#5795083 - in reply to #5793969)

Northeast North Carolina
We have two 50X17 Higher Power doors. Just make sure you have the clearance needed and somewhere to put a brace at the top of the track to keep it steady when in operation other then that they are self supporting. We have had them up for 3 years now and the only trouble has been the cylinders leaking and that issue was quickly resolved. The best thing about them is when you call you get to talk to someone that knows what they talking about from the installation to trouble shooting end of it. In years past they have been at some of the big Farm Shows around the country and have a working door that you can look at. If you go that route we added four sky lights on each door, that added a lot of natural light.
tanner
Posted 1/26/2017 08:43 (#5795234 - in reply to #5794183)

Northern Ks
The hp is about 10 now and rollers replaced 3-4 ago, said was a pain. Powerlift about 7, pins in cylinder were binding so they pulled them to lube and had some wear so replaced and put zerk in ram to grease. There is a airplane hanger down road with a 70 wide but only 10 tall powerlift without any problems, I have a 3 year old 40x16 powerlift ok so far.
SD Scott
Posted 1/26/2017 08:46 (#5795243 - in reply to #5795083)

NE South Dakota
We put one in a unheated machine shed. Did have some problems when it was cold this winter with it not wanting to go up. Still working on that issue.

Only other thing I noticed is that if you had it in a heated building, seems like it's a little harder to seal than a bi-fold since it's not over the opening, it has to get through the opening.

Other than that we like it so far.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)