AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JDplowboy?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JUST LEARNING
Posted 12/15/2016 18:01 (#5700198)
Subject: JDplowboy?

KS and NE in eastern 3rd
Below in the thread agronomy101 you suggested to lime the field with a high ph and high cec. I agree with you that it needs cal and lime is a good source. Most were concerned about the ph, but I know the lime wouldn't have much effect on raising ph because it's extremely difficult to raise a ph with lime that is already that high but u made a comment about gypsum not working here, can u explain why? Thanks

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=674570&mid=569...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JDPlowboy
Posted 12/15/2016 20:25 (#5700551 - in reply to #5700198)
Subject: RE: JDplowboy?

sw MN

It takes a minimum of 64% calcium BS  in the soil for the gypsum to remove mag and replace it with calcium. Mag has 2 + charges and isn't easy to leach out. It takes good drainage 1st. Without enough calcium the gypsum is a waste of $. Gypsum isn't a product that works on all soils.

Edited by JDPlowboy 12/16/2016 10:05
martin
Posted 12/15/2016 22:44 (#5700980 - in reply to #5700551)

I guess I don't follow you....

if you have to have at least 64% calcium before using gypsum, what's the point of using gypsum?  

Who came up with the 64% number? Do you have some research articles to back up that number?  or is this someone's rule-of-thumb?

In that post below, the I didn't think the pH levels were too bad - at least in most of the samples, but the % Ca was a bit low, at least compared to the targets that that most toss around.  So, I guess I don't understand why adding gypsum would not help to improve calcium levels in those kinds of situations.

Can you elaborate?

greasegun
Posted 12/15/2016 23:30 (#5701034 - in reply to #5700980)

W.C. Mo.
Around HERE ph can be 6.5-6.7 but be deficient in Ca. Mg neutralizes ph 2x faster the Ca which is why the higher levels of Ca is needed to replace Mg before gypsum helps.
JDPlowboy
Posted 12/16/2016 00:17 (#5701066 - in reply to #5700980)

sw MN

The point of gypsum is it contains cheap sulfur.

64% is Kinsey's number and general rule of thumb.

It takes high calcium lime to raise the calcium base sat

Calcium effects the ph 1.0 x

Mag effects the ph 1.6 x 

bad farmer
Posted 12/16/2016 05:28 (#5701121 - in reply to #5701066)

no welfare payments on this farm!!!!!!!!
dont forget about the k and na, those are teh scarey ones
martin
Posted 12/16/2016 07:35 (#5701342 - in reply to #5701066)

The point is gypsum contains CALCIUM and sulfur.  So, if you need to raise calcium levels,  why can't you use gypsum as part of the program to raise calcium, and supply sulfur as an extra benefit? 

It seems to me that if your calcium levels are in the 40-50% range,  adding gypsum should help raise that level.  However, what I hear you say is that gypsum will not work until the calcium level is above 64%.  It does not make sense to me.

What am I missing?

P.S.  in your post above, you say that Mag is +2.  Well, so is calcium.

Edited by martin 12/16/2016 07:36
JDPlowboy
Posted 12/16/2016 08:08 (#5701424 - in reply to #5701342)

sw MN

Lime is calcium carbonate. 

Gypsum is calcium sulfate.

Totally different chemistry.  

martin
Posted 12/16/2016 08:20 (#5701456 - in reply to #5701424)

What you are saying is that you don't know the answers to my questions.

Otherwise, you would explain it.

AGB
Posted 12/16/2016 08:34 (#5701488 - in reply to #5701456)

Mid-Michigan
I think you guys are trying to explain two different products to attain the same end. To say totally different chemistry isn't exactly accurate because the end positive result. Example: fgd started as lime, comes out gypsum (synthetic form of gypsum). Personally I'd use gypsum but high cal lime will work. Probably easier to get for most (flu gypsum is plentiful nearby me) as is lime.

Edited by AGB 12/16/2016 08:49
NE Ridger
Posted 12/16/2016 13:18 (#5702017 - in reply to #5701456)
Subject: Oh, it's real

EC Nebraska
martin - 12/16/2016 08:20

Just because it can't be reduced to a few simple equations doesn't mean it isn't real. It's been observed over and over in real life. Calcium carbonate and ammonium sulfate will raise the calcium base saturation more than gypsum will if the starting calcium saturation is not high enough. A guy on here a couple years ago was blasting gypsum because it did nothing for his high mag soils. He'd applied tons and tons over several years with no effect. It wasn't until he used calcitic lime and AMS that his soils started to react.
I've seen it on my soils where a field that varied from 4.5 to 6.0 pH received flat rate lime and AMS applications. (the worst grid spot might have been close to 4, don't remember for sure) After a few years the pH was 5.9-6.2 uniformly across the field. That was 5 ton of lime on a 10-15 CEC soil over 8 years, not sure how much AMS but at least 100 lbs every other year. Would also have gotten a little elemental sulfur in there as well. On that field the calcium saturations were uniformly low, but some spots had a lot of magnesium holding up the pH and messing up the soil structure. Lime and AMS could raise the calcium while lowering the magnesium where it was needed.
If it was limed strictly by pH that field would have been VR lime and the high-mag spots would still be drowning out and burning up like they used to do.

Dismiss it, mock it, I don't care. It's real and it matters. But you've got to understand it before you try to work with it.

Edited by NE Ridger 12/16/2016 13:19
martin
Posted 12/16/2016 15:13 (#5702269 - in reply to #5702017)
Subject: RE: Oh, it's real

"I've seen it on my soils where a field that varied from 4.5 to 6.0 pH received flat rate lime and AMS applications. (the worst grid spot might have been close to 4, don't remember for sure) After a few years the pH was 5.9-6.2 uniformly across the field. That was 5 ton of lime on a 10-15 CEC soil over 8 years, not sure how much AMS but at least 100 lbs every other year."

You are talking about a completely different animal here.  Here you are beginning with pH levels from 4.5-6.0.  Well, OF COURSE, you are going to apply lime to raise pH.   That was not the situation presented in the Agronomy 101 thread.  In THAT situation, the water pH ranged from 6.2- 7.9, with the % calcium saturation ranged from the 40's to 70% range.  The comment was made that gypsum will not work below 64%.  I am asking WHY NOT?   It should be basic chemistry.   If you add calcium to a soil, it should raise the % calcium, regardless of the source. 

I am beginning to believe that the people spouting this don't have a grasp on basic chemistry.

NE Ridger
Posted 12/16/2016 15:48 (#5702335 - in reply to #5702269)

EC Nebraska
martin - 12/16/2016 15:13

You are talking about a completely different animal here.  Here you are beginning with pH levels from 4.5-6.0.  Well, OF COURSE, you are going to apply lime to raise pH.   That was not the situation presented in the Agronomy 101 thread.  In THAT situation, the water pH ranged from 6.2- 7.9, with the % calcium saturation ranged from the 40's to 70% range.  The comment was made that gypsum will not work below 64%.  I am asking WHY NOT?   It should be basic chemistry.   If you add calcium to a soil, it should raise the % calcium, regardless of the source. 

I am beginning to believe that the people spouting this don't have a grasp on basic chemistry.

University recs would not have flat rate limed the field I'm talking about. They would have VR'd lime, applying lime only to areas below 5.5 pH (roughly half the field). Liming for calcium saturation called for flat rate across the entire field.

The real answer to your question is probably mulit-factorial. However, from what I've seen, below 60-64% calcium saturation on midwest corn belt soils with a high Mg saturation, the calcium in gypsum tends to leach on through the soil profile without displacing the Mg from the soil colloids. Just because you add something to a soil doesn't mean it's gonna stay there if you have water moving through the soil profile.

Now, you go up into the Dakotas and anywhere else that water doesn't move straight down through the profile and you can throw most of that out the window.

martin
Posted 12/16/2016 17:29 (#5702523 - in reply to #5702335)

"The real answer to your question is probably mulit-factorial. However, from what I've seen, below 60-64% calcium saturation on midwest corn belt soils with a high Mg saturation, the calcium in gypsum tends to leach on through the soil profile without displacing the Mg from the soil colloids."

It seems to me that the higher your soil CA levels are, the more likely you are to be flushing CA down thru the soil profile.  THAT would make sense to me. 

jbgruver
Posted 12/16/2016 15:21 (#5702290 - in reply to #5702017)

Hello Ridger,

The attached table contains soil test data for some very high Mg soils:
The first table presents the data as I found it in a research article.
I created the second table of %saturation #s for the same soils.

Which of these soils do you think has a pH over 7?

Joel
WIU Agriculture

Edited by jbgruver 12/16/2016 15:24

(Propertiesofsomeserpentinesoils.jpg)

(Propertiesofsomeserpentinesoils%saturation.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Propertiesofsomeserpentinesoils.jpg (26KB - 72 downloads)
Attachments Propertiesofsomeserpentinesoils%saturation.jpg (30KB - 59 downloads)
JUST LEARNING
Posted 12/16/2016 16:01 (#5702354 - in reply to #5702290)

KS and NE in eastern 3rd
The ones with over 50% mg for sure
NE Ridger
Posted 12/16/2016 18:27 (#5702694 - in reply to #5702290)

EC Nebraska
jbgruver - 12/16/2016 15:21

Hello Ridger,

The attached table contains soil test data for some very high Mg soils:
The first table presents the data as I found it in a research article.
I created the second table of %saturation #s for the same soils.

Which of these soils do you think has a pH over 7?

Joel
WIU Agriculture

Well, serpentine soils are often found in arid climates and if those numbers come from a standard ammonium acetate extraction in an arid climate they may not reflect the actual saturation on the soil colloid. It would take a K displacement test to check the true numbers.
That said, if we were assuming that those soils get enough rainfall to provide some percolation effects (a dangerous assumption), I first looked at the K and Na numbers. That 2.9 Na% might be enough to get that soil up to 7, not sure. Otherwise 27 and 33 look to be the highest pH.

The top test looks downright acidic.

Roger416
Posted 12/16/2016 22:20 (#5703281 - in reply to #5702290)

Joel, considering the chart you had posted long time ago, I bet for those having BS of 98% or CEC 27&33 .

Edited by Roger416 12/16/2016 22:24

(Base Sat pH relationship JB Gruver.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Base Sat pH relationship JB Gruver.jpg (50KB - 68 downloads)
jbgruver
Posted 12/17/2016 21:29 (#5705448 - in reply to #5703281)

According to the article where I found the data, all the soils have pHs less than 7 and most are actually less than 6.

The relationship between base saturation and pH commonly observed in IA (that you attached) clearly does not apply to these soils.

Clay minerals differ in how strongly they hold on to different types of cations. Part of the difference is related to the amount of negative charge per mass of clay but other factors are also involved.

For example, kaolinite clay holds to acid cations much more strongly than bentonite clay. See graph at the following link:
http://nutrients.ifas.ufl.edu/nutrient_pages/BSFpages/basesaturatio...

According to this graph, at an acid saturation of 40% (base saturation of 60%), bentonite clay has a pH of ~ 5 while kaolinite clay has a pH of ~ 7, meaning that bentonite gives up its acid cations to the soil solution much more readily than kaolinite.

the abundance of specific "base" cations clearly matters when precipitation is limited and salts accumulate. For example, the accumulation of alkaline sodium salts such as sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate causes soil pH to be very high.

In much wetter environments, I don't think Mg saturation vs. Ca saturation has much impact on soil pH.

I did a quick a literature review and found that soils in humid regions that formed from serpentine parent materials tend to be acid (often pH below 6) AND have very high Mg saturations.

Joel
WIU Agriculture
JDPlowboy
Posted 12/16/2016 19:22 (#5702861 - in reply to #5701456)

sw MN

martin - 12/16/2016 08:20

Ridger did a really great job explaining it.  

cornerpost
Posted 12/16/2016 08:57 (#5701533 - in reply to #5700551)

SE MN Still in Pothole Country
Your soil is not 64% calcium. Your base saturation may be. We probably all know what you are talking about but it is misleading
We don't want THE FRIENDS OF THE EARTH to start repeating that the soil in Iowa is half magnesium.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)