AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn head end of year clean out
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

yellerfeller
Posted 11/17/2016 21:06 (#5641979)
Subject: corn head end of year clean out

Wondering how everyone cleans out the head at the end of year? Used air to blow out trash and kernals from the chains. Even though I used a mask and goggles, eyes are still watering tonight from all the dust. Don't like to leave dirt, etc. to draw moisture and rodents through the winter but not a very pleasant job. Have used pressure washer before and that's pretty nasty as well. Suggestions?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
johns_79
Posted 11/17/2016 21:08 (#5641984 - in reply to #5641979)
Subject: RE: corn head end of year clean out

Windom, MN
I'm sorry, this is the way I do it too, really can't think of a better way really. I figure it's once a year so I can live with a little discomfort for a day.
ILLRick
Posted 11/17/2016 21:10 (#5641989 - in reply to #5641979)

ECIL
I pull all the large loose stuff off, loosen the caked on dirt with a screwdriver or small mechanic's pry bar, then remove the loosened material with a shop vac. Only time I use the compressor is when I clean the underside of the head.
IowaMark
Posted 11/17/2016 21:19 (#5642012 - in reply to #5641979)

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
I use air like you do. I then have my wife sit in the cab and turn on the corn head while I carefully pour used oil on the chains and rollers. I realize it's no doubt not OSHA or Ag Talk approved doing that but I give my wife strong instructions on now to shut off the head and combine for that just in case scenario.
D6Joe
Posted 11/17/2016 21:27 (#5642031 - in reply to #5641979)

east central ND
I use a bit nicer ski/snowmobile goggles from the sporting goods store when blowing off combines and headers. The nice soft foam seals around eye area really well. I might look goofy, but it keeps the fine dust out of my eyes.
packerfan
Posted 11/17/2016 21:27 (#5642032 - in reply to #5641979)

Western illinois
That's a big plus on the Geringhoff head. Pop off the gathering chains. Remove 3 nuts and pull the stripper plate/ chain guide off. Very easy to thoroughly clean the row unit. I throw the chains in an old barrel of oil in the off season.
yellerfeller
Posted 11/17/2016 21:36 (#5642051 - in reply to #5642032)

Tighter fitting goggles would be a big plus. I like the suggestion of shop vac also. Thanks.
obie_iaffa
Posted 11/17/2016 21:48 (#5642072 - in reply to #5641979)

NE Iowa
Nh3 goggles do the trick here. Job still ranks high on the suck o meter bit at least my eyes aren't watering for the next 2 days
SWMOWHEATFARMER
Posted 11/17/2016 21:49 (#5642076 - in reply to #5641979)

SW MO
Full face respirator?
kritzy
Posted 11/17/2016 21:55 (#5642089 - in reply to #5641979)

red river valley se of fargo
Apparently I'm lazy. Combine gets parked in the shed covered in whatever it's covered in till I get ambitious next summer.
dewgubbe
Posted 11/17/2016 21:56 (#5642090 - in reply to #5642076)

Northeast Nebraska
Wait until the wind is blowing strong in one direction and plan accordingly. I never used a mask or goggles and got along good, have portable compressor though. Take combine and compressor to hilltop in middle of field and do what you gotta do
R2farm
Posted 11/17/2016 21:57 (#5642095 - in reply to #5641979)

sw Nebraska
Leaf blower first then, Small prybar and large screwdrivers then air compressor all while wearing this, combine pointed into the wind. http://airwareamerica.com/trend-airshield-pro/ Then spray with lightweight oil in a pressurized lube can.
Grhog
Posted 11/17/2016 22:01 (#5642100 - in reply to #5642095)

Se wisc.
Corn head easy. Combine PITA. Good job For Mike Rowe.
Von WC Ohio
Posted 11/17/2016 22:10 (#5642117 - in reply to #5641979)
Subject: RE: corn head end of year clean out (pics)

Drive to the woods with combine and corn head. Take leaf blower with long extension hose and completely blow all loose corn, last ears, chaff build up off everything. Wear a full face mask respirator and hooded sweat shirt to try and keep out of dust as much as possible.

Next comes a complete power washing of entire corn head.

Then the gathering chains, rolls and auger are sprayed down with JD Multipurpose spray to prevent rust.

The rest of the corn head is sprayed with diesel fuel.

All grease fittings are serviced and it is moved into storage. Within a week or so the oiliness evaporates and leaves a nice protective film but the spray on the chains, rolls, and augers is a bit thicker and stays in place to prevent rust.

Stalk stompers are removed  stored on head mounted storage racks and corn head set on treated blocks to keep it off the ground.

Agree it is a filthy multiple day job getting stuff cleaned up and put away. It really would be a good one for Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe. Hot water and mild temperatures this year sure made it a little better than cold water on a cold cloudy windy day for sure.

SWMOWHEATFARMER
Posted 11/17/2016 22:13 (#5642124 - in reply to #5642117)

SW MO
How is the head attached in pic number 7?
del8000
Posted 11/17/2016 22:17 (#5642131 - in reply to #5641979)

SE NE
I use a full face respirator like this; with the cartridge that has a replaceable pre-filter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JZ1M10/ref=od_aui_detailpages0...

I never have found a goggle/mask combo that worked well, this doesn't fog up and stays put on your face. Works good cleaning the combine, baler and in the bin. I wouldn't even think of doing those tasks without one now.
Von WC Ohio
Posted 11/17/2016 22:21 (#5642139 - in reply to #5642124)

3 point tractor mounted head mover. Got this one from Meteer. Fit's into the opening of the head and has round bars to engage the top beam of the head just like the combine feeder house.

SWMOWHEATFARMER
Posted 11/17/2016 22:47 (#5642180 - in reply to #5642139)

SW MO
Gotcha. Looks like you have a very well taken care of and decked out combine and head!
Von WC Ohio
Posted 11/17/2016 22:59 (#5642188 - in reply to #5642180)

Thanks for the kind words !

Jd7730
Posted 11/17/2016 23:10 (#5642197 - in reply to #5641979)

SE MN
I always blow the head off with air and then lube it up and put it away. Sometimes I wash the back of the header if its muddy or very dirty. The combine gets air and then power washed. I used to use a normal sized air compressor and 4 foot wand and then I tried a 185 CFM portable compressor and now that's all I use. It went from 8-10 hours of blowing air down to less than 3 hours. There isn't much of anything that the air won't blow loose in the gathering chain area. If it's getting in your eyes, use goggles like the others said. You also need ear muffs for the big air compressor. You can rent one for a half day and get your combine and head cleaned up. Tell them what your doing with the compressor and they'll probably have a wand for that purpose.
redoak
Posted 11/18/2016 05:02 (#5642272 - in reply to #5642188)

sw ontario
Von bet there is a line up of guys wanting to buy your equip't when you trade,, everything always looks so good
Brandon SWIA
Posted 11/18/2016 05:11 (#5642278 - in reply to #5642051)

I hire an independent mechanic to clean the head and combine. Guy does it for under $200, plus does a quick inspection. He wears a full face respirator and tyvek type suit. I think he did over 120 combines last year.

Edited by Brandon SWIA 11/18/2016 05:12
jrfarmer
Posted 11/18/2016 06:14 (#5642351 - in reply to #5642197)

sw mn
+1 with the portable compresser, once the shields are off the combine the cleanup is less than a hour, it's the only way to clean the combine,
NoTill1825
Posted 11/18/2016 06:27 (#5642370 - in reply to #5641979)

NC Indiana
Leaf blower or local rental shop will rent out an industrial air compressor with a wand for blowing off equipment then power wash and oil.
Mark (EC,IN)
Posted 11/18/2016 06:46 (#5642426 - in reply to #5641979)

Schlegel Farms, Hagerstown Indiana
I always...blow off...shop vac...wet rag rub down...old motor oil dumped on head.

It just sounds to me like you need better goggles.
AGDEAL
Posted 11/18/2016 06:56 (#5642456 - in reply to #5641979)

Illinois
I use an impact to disassemble the top side of the head. It's faster than you would expect and makes clean up much easier. I have had issues with gunk build up in the guide blocks and not let the lower sprockets freely move. I can do a much better job when it's disassembled.

Once it's clean I put a coat of oil on it.

Late next summer when I get it out I will power wash it , paint the wear spots with graphite and reassemble.

This is what I have found works the best on my 893.
Von WC Ohio
Posted 11/18/2016 07:19 (#5642515 - in reply to #5642272)

I sold some older smaller equipment that had not been used for decades a few years back because I needed the room and it sold pretty quickly.

When I traded the 4420 combine in on the 6620 the dealer said the guy was sitting there waiting for them to open the next morning to buy it.

Here it is the day I traded.

I got the chance to see it sell again a couple years ago.

Previous post about that.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=540319

I don't do a lot of equipment trading. Tend to hang onto stuff until it's used up and ready for scrap or is obsolete and nobody wants it to trade because of low demand. I kept my 4 row head and 915 platform this reason. Have room to store and they are good to have as backup machines. I like having backup options.

Maybe I should call this place  "The Father Time Farm."

flyinfarmer
Posted 11/18/2016 07:54 (#5642617 - in reply to #5642278)

NE Iowa
Wow - $200 is a deal if he does a good job and spots some repair 'opportunities' along the way.

Maybe I am anal retentive here, but I pull all the gathering chains off of my 893 and put them in a bucket of oil for the winter. Of course, this means the spring loaded idler assemblies get removed, which lets me get the decks nice a cleaned up of all the material that gets matted in their pretty good. I then spray down all the bare metal with some real lite weight oil to prevent it from rusting in the off season. I store it indoors, but on a dirt/gravel 'floor', so anything not protected and that close to the ground gets some flash rust on it. Maybe all of that isn't necessary, but it sure is nice starting with a clean and fully functional head in the Fall. No issues with chains binding up or spring arms getting hung up from trash.

Dad sees what I do and just shakes his head....
Buehler
Posted 11/18/2016 11:38 (#5642994 - in reply to #5641979)

Scott City KS
yellerfeller - 11/17/2016 20:06

Wondering how everyone cleans out the head at the end of year? Used air to blow out trash and kernals from the chains. Even though I used a mask and goggles, eyes are still watering tonight from all the dust. Don't like to leave dirt, etc. to draw moisture and rodents through the winter but not a very pleasant job. Have used pressure washer before and that's pretty nasty as well. Suggestions?

Blow that thing when it is blowing about 30. Blow it, then turn it around and blow it again to get the other sides.

Dad also bought a diesel industrial compressor. I think it is 175 CFM. I thought he was crazy. He bought it off purple wave and it had been rolled down a hill and didn't run. He got it, bled the lines, and it fired right up. It eventually took new injectors, a battery, some light body work, paint, and a new tire.

I'd guess it paid for itself the first year.
Keith Mudd
Posted 11/18/2016 20:16 (#5643772 - in reply to #5641979)

Monroe City, MO

buy a better mask. We have a full face shield that works very well.

GM Guy
Posted 11/20/2016 09:54 (#5646219 - in reply to #5642089)

NW KS/ SC ID
you must have one hell of a cat herd if you can keep mice out of that thing. :)

GM Guy
Posted 11/20/2016 10:05 (#5646232 - in reply to #5641979)

NW KS/ SC ID
corner of the field, wait for a windy day. take the hoods off, compressed air till cornhead is clean, put hoods back on, go drop cornhead. open rear feederhouse seal (Gleaner rotary) or trap door (Gleaner conventional) and start in working from front to back.

On the rotary Gleaners I blow off the rotor from the bin, IMO dirt on the backside of the bars and on top of the cage will drop off during the off season and collect moisture somewhere.

Gleaner conventional guys, make sure and drop your raddle covers. IMO 98 percent of raddle issues can be blamed on people not taking the covers off, links rusting, and then breaking in the future.

Also for the gleaner guys, the 1/2 inch bolts on the left side of the combine are clean out holes for the clean grain and return troughs, take bolt out, open doors on other side, and blow through. pretty obvious on the rotaries, hidden on the conventionals behind the sprockets.

Unless I go play in the mud bogs or do some nasty crop that ends up in some bad residue on the machine, I never wash them. Unfortunately mother nature does that for now until a shed can be afforded here on the plantation. :)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)