AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where'd my cover crop go? Cover crop failure
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

00rooster
Posted 7/23/2016 10:52 (#5427296)
Subject: Where'd my cover crop go? Cover crop failure

I wanted to try out some inter-seeding of a cover crop for post-harvest forage for cattle grazing this fall and winter. I went with 30 lbs/acre of annual rye, and 5 lbs/acre of radishes. I mixed the seed with some Urea and AMS and topdressed about V5-V6 in a field of irrigated corn.

Early on things looked fantastic, We got two rain events within a week and pretty much all the seed germinated. I had a nice carpet of grass and radishes by June 25th(First 2 pics), when the corn was about V7-V8.  Things looked so good in fact I thought I might have overdone the rye and didn't need to seed at such a high rate.

I went back for more inspection on July 7th, Things still looked good, and I was certain that my cows would love me forever.

Thought I'd check on it again yesterday...........

Its pretty well all gone, I can find a few areas where there is still a little bit left, but 80-90% of the cover stand is gone.  And its still 3 months to harvest so I don't expect it will make it.

Between the rainfall and irrigation there has been plenty of moisture, it didn't dry out.  There is zero residual herbicide out there, the 40 acres I tried this on I used only Roundup, once after planting, and the 2nd pass the day before I seeded the covers. 

There is more alive on the endrows which are E-W rows, but the N-S rows look to be a complete failure.

I don't believe I'll ever try this again.  It didn't even come close to working....................

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)