AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mounting row cleaners to 71 Deere planter
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

frytownfarmer
Posted 7/5/2016 02:58 (#5392087)
Subject: Mounting row cleaners to 71 Deere planter

Frytown, Iowa
I have a friend with a 2 row 71 Deere planter that plants quite a bit of sweet corn... Says he'd like to try more cover crops and no till in the future but doesn't have the weight to get the units into the ground. I have coulters/trash wheel combos for a 7000 Deere/kinze laying around and wonder if there is a way to get those attachments on that planter... Seems quite a bit different style of unit.

Any ideas or pictures are appreciated
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Red Paint
Posted 7/5/2016 04:10 (#5392092 - in reply to #5392087)
Subject: RE: Mounting row cleaners to 71 Deere planter

SW “Ohia”
frytownfarmer,

The 71 row unit is great for vegetables, and will remain the standard for smaller farmers for a long time. There are hundreds of plate combinations available for them. You can plant almost anything. However, they have their limitations.

Compare a 71 and a 7000 unit. The 71 is built much lighter. They were designed and intended for use in true conventional tilled (plowed) applications. I don't see any way that you could beef a 71 up to handle no-till. Even if you did, the single rear press wheel will not offer much closing pressure.

My thoughts---build a two-row planter using salvage 7000 units for the no-till crops, and keep the 71 for those being put in conventionally. That's my plan for a similar situation.

Deere did build some 71's with a "scratcher frame" for cultivator shanks ahead of the units. Not very common.

Strz02
Posted 7/5/2016 06:08 (#5392136 - in reply to #5392087)

Wapwallopen, PA
There is a ton of 7000 two row planters that have been cut down for not a lot of money. That's the route I would go, those 71 units barely plant in conventional unless the ground is perfect, I don't think they will no till either.
OHKen
Posted 7/5/2016 06:15 (#5392144 - in reply to #5392092)

Ohio
The only thing the 71 has over 7000 for small planters is the ground driven drive wheel . We used some 71's this spring to touch up some blanks . The soil was tilled , loose and dry , the units worked great for this . The seed spacing was still ugly . As mentioned if this would of been no till , the end result would not been near as good . We are talking higher revenue production , why start with such old technology when 7000's can now be purchased so reasonably ?
paul the original
Posted 7/5/2016 07:25 (#5392239 - in reply to #5392087)

southern MN
Think they generally go with a heavier frame and mount the coulters to the frame, as the last message on this old thread pictures:

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=2878&DisplayTy...

Paul
jdbob8100
Posted 7/5/2016 08:35 (#5392375 - in reply to #5392239)

ND
There is nothing to mount row cleaners on that 71 planter-maybe a homemade attachment of a sliding triangle to push aside dirt clumps or lighter trash between rows. Even the early 7000/7100 planters did not have the mounting holes for adding row cleaners-look on the face plate of the 7000/7100 before you buy one as the holes are not present on some.
Iron Archer
Posted 7/5/2016 14:41 (#5392987 - in reply to #5392375)

South Eastern VA
He would have to use a double bar set up. Tell him to go to Brute Bucks website. The sell two and three row 71 planters on there.
frmerndel
Posted 7/5/2016 20:47 (#5393787 - in reply to #5392087)

You would have to go to a toolbar mount, yetter makes them. Deere sold quiet a few 71 toolbar units with a row of no till coulters, most guys would put 2 or 3 55 gallon drums full of water set the spring tension on the units up and double crop beans with them in wheat and or barley stubble. Between those and the old "alley cat" allis-Chalmers no till planters those were the hot ticket... they worked. It's totally do-able just hope the ground is fairly flat.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)