AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

mowed triticale pea strip for hay today (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/15/2016 22:26 (#5357977)
Subject: mowed triticale pea strip for hay today (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

My triticale/pea/clover/grass experimental strip has been growing well with the recent rains. Heads are rapidly forming on the trit which I would like to use for either dry hay or wrapped baleage. The peas are also starting to bloom. I was going to graze it earlier but don't need more grazing right now as much as I could use more good stored feed for later. Also want to free up the grass/clover pasture mix coming up under the trit/peas.

We had 1.33" of rain last night on our heavy clay soils following a series of showers earlier. The ground is WET.  As thick as this mix is, it seems like it would take several days at least for the ground to really dry, maybe using up most of the forecast sunny dry spell predicted for the next few days.  I decided to make narrow windrows this afternoon, let the ground alongside the windrows to dry in the nice breeze then ted them out tomorrow.

The JD630 with rubber rolls really did a nice job on this mix.  Here are a couple pics from today. 

Is there a chance his could be put up as dry hay? I've never tried hay with trit or peas before and certainly not both.

Edited by Jim 6/15/2016 22:28

(IMG038 mowing wet triticale-pea-clover-grass strip for hay 061516.jpg)

(IMG047 mowing wet triticale-pea-clover-grass strip for hay 061516.jpg)

(IMG048 mowing wet triticale-pea-clover-grass strip for hay 061516.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG038 mowing wet triticale-pea-clover-grass strip for hay 061516.jpg (100KB - 296 downloads)
Attachments IMG047 mowing wet triticale-pea-clover-grass strip for hay 061516.jpg (154KB - 288 downloads)
Attachments IMG048 mowing wet triticale-pea-clover-grass strip for hay 061516.jpg (140KB - 301 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)