AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fuel priming John Deere 8100
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Aussy Harold
Posted 4/2/2016 01:09 (#5215929)
Subject: Fuel priming John Deere 8100

North East Wimmera district of Victoria.

G'day,

My JD 8100 has sat for a month or three, and would not start. Thought was the fuel had bled back from the fuel pump. It has happened before.

Usually fixed by bleeding air out of the system, as described in the book.  Turn key on, open bleed plug on the left of the fuel filter on right hand side of rear of engine, operate priming pump on the injector pump until an air free flow of fuel is obtained. Close the bleed plug, and operate hand pump until slight pressure is felt. [This can be done standing in behind the front axle.] 

Done this - but no go!   All I can see that I have not done 'by the book' is hold the priming pump down while closing the bleed plug.

Is this my problem?  Or is there more I should do?

Waxed the filters last winter, and can't remember having any problem bleeding and getting going with two new filters.

Thanks in advance!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Art Swannack
Posted 4/2/2016 01:36 (#5215934 - in reply to #5215929)
Subject: RE: Fuel priming John Deere 8100

might also check fuel cooling lines (rubber hoses that go from fuel line to area in front of radiator and back--they are with that mess of hoses in front of radiator). had one crack a bit on my 8100 and it wouldn't keep fuel up and was sucking air. mine took a bit of pumping/bleeding, try it, pumping/bleeding try, repeat, it until all the air got out and it would start.

fwiw,

Art
ridgeroad
Posted 4/2/2016 08:03 (#5216136 - in reply to #5215929)

Had an 8300 that the o ring on the little strainer by the pump went bad. Took like 200 pumps on the primer to get it to go.
Deere6
Posted 4/2/2016 12:37 (#5216663 - in reply to #5216136)

On our 8200 I actually had to replace the hand primer once. It would pump fuel out bleed screw but once closed it would not build up enough pressure to get it going. Also, might try pinching off small rubber return line will attempting to prime, sometimes this helps.
Aussy Harold
Posted 4/4/2016 03:26 (#5220189 - in reply to #5215929)

North East Wimmera district of Victoria.

Update -  The JD 8100 is going again.!
Figures as filters had not done many hours, the thoughts on leaking "O" rings lead me to check all connections on the fuel lines.
1. Where the fuel pipe goes into the priming pump, the fitting was moveable by hand - a 1/4 turn tighter on the nut fixed that one.
2. On the water filter, the line from the fuel tank was also moveable by hand, but the nut was 'bottomed out'. Pulled it off, and it is just a compression ring on a straight pipe, no flaired fitting, or 'olive', just a rubber ring! 
Faced with a half hour each way drive to the nearest JD dealer or a bit of lateral thinking, I drilled a fuel pipe sized hole in a bit of plastic chemical bottle, and then trimmed it to fit inside the nut, giving the nut more compression on the ring as it tightened.
Primed the air out of it this time, hit the key and it fired on all six after a couple of seconds. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)