AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Asking price of cattle on Craigslist! Wow!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

badger1
Posted 12/2/2015 21:23 (#4934931)
Subject: Asking price of cattle on Craigslist! Wow!

SE wisconsin
I understand someone trying to get a good buck for a bull or purbred cows and heifers, even show calves. But what people are asking for there run of the mill cattle is insane. I don't know if they think others don't know the market or if they think there cattle are that much better?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wayneNWAR
Posted 12/2/2015 21:31 (#4934956 - in reply to #4934931)
Subject: RE: Asking price of cattle on Craigslist! Wow!

north west arkansas
It didn't really start here until prices started to drop at the salebarns.
runningtowin
Posted 12/2/2015 21:31 (#4934957 - in reply to #4934931)

east central nebraska
I think some of it goes under the marketing plan of ,"There's a sucker born every minute." Unfortunately.
Blusteryknollfarm
Posted 12/2/2015 22:37 (#4935144 - in reply to #4934957)

North Central Illinois
Yep. Easy to put an ad on craigslist. Run the ad a few weeks before I plan to go to the salebarn. Sometimes it works.

Also, nearly everyone who contacts from a craigslist posting expects to talk the price down quite a bit. Buyers seem to feel better if they pay $80 for something advertised at $100 than if the asking price was $80 and the seller won't budge on price.
kipps
Posted 12/3/2015 06:26 (#4935405 - in reply to #4934957)

Madison Co. Virginia
runningtowin - 12/2/2015 10:31

I think some of it goes under the marketing plan of ,"There's a sucker born every minute." Unfortunately.

A neighboring dairy farmer said the ultimate way to sell bull calves, is to list them on craigslist for triple market value. He said to photograph them wearing a pretty red halter, name them "tulip" or something else equally cute, and hope a city-slicker buys it without having a clue what they're really getting into. I'm not sure that he actually did this, but it makes me grin every time I think about it, which was probably his point.
tjdub
Posted 12/2/2015 21:33 (#4934964 - in reply to #4934931)

Just advertise some of your own cattle and ask for $1 less. :)
tom-ky
Posted 12/3/2015 05:36 (#4935358 - in reply to #4934931)

Morgantown, Ky
We have sold a lot on Craigslist. Made one real good customer on heifers. Sold mostly weaned heifers, a few Registered bulls and a few cows. Put some weaned heifers on their a few weeks ago, got them priced about $50 a head above what normal feeders are for their size. Never had any problems selling them priced like that before. This time it seems like they want you to give them away, only had one kid come look and he acted like he didn't have the money. Others just make offers over the phone of about 25 cents below market. We have scales that are accurate so I know what they weigh. These must people thinking they can jockey them. One guy seemed fairly interested and I told him we could weigh them the day he picked up and take the price from the sale barn I go to, he said that is too high and texts me a pic of a sale close to him not showing the whole report. I looked it up and told him your prices are close to mine if you read the whole report, he singled out the cheapest stuff.

Seems like the lower market has really brought out the bargain hunters. Just for a comparison I looked at what other heifers were on there and found several weaned heifers around 600# for $1000-1200, then people complain about mine at $875. They will go to the sale barn next week so it really does not matter. In the past we have always made a few extra bucks selling the best heifers off the farm, when the market was hot it was good just to save $40 a calf in commission on them.
johnny skeptical
Posted 12/3/2015 06:44 (#4935433 - in reply to #4935358)

n.c.iowa

I'd say you got jockeys calling.

richard240
Posted 12/3/2015 06:47 (#4935438 - in reply to #4934931)

jackson county WI
Im gonna go on the opposite end of this. I have made several offers to folks in last few weeks trying to buy feeder cattle privately (they called me). Didnt get any bought. One guy even laughed, i told him that what they are bringing in our local sale barn. He spouted off he was sending them to a sale barn 100 miles away where they bring 20 cents more. He sent them there and got 20 cents less then what i offered him or what he could have got in our local barn. Guess whos laughing now. I dont know why these folks wont take offers seriously, they act like were out to screw them. If they could understand the fat market they would know they are actually getting good for thier calves.
mn2
Posted 12/3/2015 07:12 (#4935492 - in reply to #4935438)

I like it when the asking price is shy high and then say " load lots only". Ft Pierre thanksgiving sale last week 2,000 top.

Edited by mn2 12/3/2015 08:05
Cowboss85
Posted 12/3/2015 21:26 (#4937409 - in reply to #4935492)
Subject: RE: mn2

SW MN
Better recheck market report outta Pierre, sell em higher then $2000..Was there, supper set of 2nd calvers bring $2575..
blacksand
Posted 12/3/2015 08:54 (#4935753 - in reply to #4934931)

South Dakota
I've got a good story from craigslist. I was looking to background some calves. I saw an add for some calves out of Minnesota and they we're advertised for significantly less than you'd pay at the sale barn. I came extremely close to buying them, but then backed out the day before. The thought dawned on me: why is this guy advertising calves for sale significantly under price and he's advertising them for sale in another state? I mapped his address and he was only like 5 miles from a good sized sale barn and their prices would have gained him thousands of dollars if he just sold them there. Then I started to hear about a lot of calves being stolen. So I called him and backed out. He said to me, "you can go to the sale barn and pay thousands of dollars less, why wouldn't you want them?" I said "that's the exact reason I don't want them, this deal doesn't add up." Shady shady people. Guarantee they were stolen, bank owned, or something bad, maybe he was the next buffalo bob trying to lure me to his farm so he could eat me, who knows!

Edited by blacksand 12/3/2015 08:56
Red Fox
Posted 12/3/2015 09:15 (#4935793 - in reply to #4935753)

It not only cattle. feeder pig's an butcher hog's are way out of line also.
ben5398
Posted 12/3/2015 11:29 (#4936019 - in reply to #4935793)

Central Illinois
Red Fox - 12/3/2015 08:15

It not only cattle. feeder pig's an butcher hog's are way out of line also.

I sell butcher hogs on craigslist and I ask above market, not because I am trying to rip someone off but because it takes more work to deal with private sales than taking a load to market. I am paying myself for taking time to advertise, take calls, keeping orders straight, scheduling slaughter appointments, deliver small loads and I can give customers guarantees about their products that otherwise may not be possible. I will add I don't feel like offering a different price every other day, I won't raise my price unless market consistently hits above my price and if the market settled back down I would lower my price back to my current number. Even with my above market price I do not sell my pork above store price, though I do see some on craigslist that do sell well above store price, but if people are willing to pay and are happy then who are we to argue. All that matters in a transaction is that both parties are happy.

I also have sold weaner pigs on craigslist at or slightly above market for similar reasons. If a pig dies I will either replace it in the first 28 days or if longer I may give a significant reduction on price on another pig; no sale barn will do anything close to that kind of a guarantee.

I have had people call that simply want to tell me my price is wrong ( actually had someone call once to say I was undercutting the market). I simply explain that with my inputs and standards my price fits my operation. I am never rude about it, though I do in the back of my head have more blunt answers I would like to give. It is my operation and I can ask whatever price I see fit, just as anyone else should be able to do. If my customers will pay and are content I will continue to ask my going price, if they no longer will pay then I will have to find the appropriate price point.

I have yet to have an unhappy customer with which I could not make things right. I will also add that I try to be pre-emptive I sell market hogs based on their weight at 300lbs and call to get hanging weights. If a hog is light hanging I will offer a refund based on said hanging weight immediately, if it is heavy I have a happier customer. Usually I have happier customers.
Blusteryknollfarm
Posted 12/3/2015 23:48 (#4937683 - in reply to #4936019)

North Central Illinois
Exactly! I ask over market for individual lambs. I need to be paid for my time selling individual animals. Otherwise I would just take a whole load to the salebarn.
DanofWI
Posted 12/3/2015 22:05 (#4937521 - in reply to #4934931)

badger1 - 12/2/2015 21:23

I understand someone trying to get a good buck for a bull or purbred cows and heifers, even show calves. But what people are asking for there run of the mill cattle is insane. I don't know if they think others don't know the market or if they think there cattle are that much better?

There was a guy posted in madison area 4 brown swiss calves 600 each. Looked maybe 3-4 days old. don't see the add anymore.
Ben D, N CA
Posted 12/4/2015 00:01 (#4937689 - in reply to #4934931)

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
You can ask anything you want...

Although we've already started selling bulls for next year, and given the markets we were a little soft on the price without really seeing what purebred bulls were bringing. Apparently it is still strong, we had 10 or so sold before we realized we were priced low. That said, it was all repeat customers and I like repeat customers, and the price wasn't bad.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)