AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2008 FSA payments
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sparrell
Posted 7/13/2008 20:13 (#414889)
Subject: 2008 FSA payments

I have not been in to file my acreage report yet, and I do not want to start a debate as to whether we should be receiving any or not, but I was wondering if anyone knows with certainty if we will be getting any FSA payments for the 2008 crop year and if so, when and how much?

A pending payment might be enough motivation for me to make an appointment. TIA

Top of the page Bottom of the page
JD4020
Posted 7/13/2008 20:16 (#414890 - in reply to #414889)
Subject: RE: 2008 FSA payments

USA
We get 22% in August or October, can't remember which.
midksfarm
Posted 7/13/2008 20:19 (#414896 - in reply to #414890)

My appointment is tomorrow for signup. I was told we are to get 22%
at signup and the remaider October 1st.
Duane
packerfan
Posted 7/13/2008 21:03 (#414925 - in reply to #414889)

Western illinois
signed up a couple of weeks ago, already received payments.
same advance as last year.
loran
Posted 7/13/2008 21:31 (#414941 - in reply to #414925)
Subject: Re: 2008 FSA payments

West Union, IOWA FLOLO Farm 52175
Same here, about a 5 day turn around.--loran
Bud
Posted 7/13/2008 21:37 (#414943 - in reply to #414889)

Yadkin County North Carolina
Only if you have 10 acres of base or more , less than 10 acres $ 00.00 per new farm bill
dmaxdiesel
Posted 7/13/2008 21:52 (#414951 - in reply to #414943)

Sutherland, IA
Ran into that less than 10 acre problem with one of the farms I have. What a bunch of crap!! But if the landowner is a farmer and "socially disadvantaged" then it's eligible. Not a huge deal to me, but i do know of some farmers with quite a few of these little pieces they farm.
lorenk
Posted 7/13/2008 21:56 (#414955 - in reply to #414943)

Grand Rapids, MI
There will be direct payments, roughly the same as last year. 22% will come shortly after signup if your payment elgibility is in order, the balance after Oct 1st like in past years. Bud is correct about the <10 acre base, this is per FSN. Very few other changes for 2008. There will be some considerable changes beginning in 2009. There is a thread about 2 pages back with more info on the 10ac deal and next years changes
Ed Winkle
Posted 7/14/2008 12:15 (#415277 - in reply to #414896)

Martinsville, Ohio
Our office doesn't even have the software yet they told me today. Don't expect anything until August.

Got a 9.8 ac not eligible and a 5.0

Got to thinking, isn't this discrimination against the small farm and the small farmer?

Doesn't matter to me but right is right and wrong is wrong.

This is what you get with too much government.

I have not met a person who is not worried or concerned about our country and its economy.

Ed Winkle
Ed Winkle
Posted 7/14/2008 12:17 (#415280 - in reply to #414943)

Martinsville, Ohio
I would think that would hurt the smaller farmers in the east where less than 10 ac fields is pretty common.

Ed
lorenk
Posted 7/14/2008 12:29 (#415285 - in reply to #415280)

Grand Rapids, MI
Ed, that may indeed be the case sometimes. So far out of my clients though, while there are plenty of fields (tracts) under 10ac base, I have only seen a couple FSN's that are under 10ac.

This issue right here is going to make it very important that producers in the situation where a larger farm gets sold to many owners, or small farms are bought by an owner of larger fields, are very up on the rules regarding FSN combinations and FSN divisions. The problem is that most county offices are not.

In the case that a larger field is split up, my interpretation says that as long as one producer remains the operator on the entire farm, there should not be a farm division done. Also if say a farmer buys a tract that has less than 10 acres of base, he should be able to combine it with a current FSN. I have seen split happy county office that do not follow these rules properly that you are right could really hurt a farmer that farms a lot of tracts with <10ac base.

Edited by lorenk 7/14/2008 15:28
lorenk
Posted 7/14/2008 15:26 (#415357 - in reply to #415277)

Grand Rapids, MI
Ed, I think your office is giving you the run around. All the offices I work with have the software and are able to print signup forms and make payments. And I doubt that FSA writes special software just for your county office ;-)

Do you have Level 2 online access? You can avoid going to the office altogether, so long as you are listed as operator on all the farms. Sign them up online then fax or e-mail them the required leases. I believe they are required to pay you in 30 days or pay you interest, which they don't want to do because it raises a lot of questions about why the payment wasn't made more timely. I usually don't like to be too threatening with this since these folks can make the process pretty miserable for you if they want to. Usually just an innocent inquiry if you haven't been paid after 20 or so days like "hey, did I read somewhere that I get interest if my advance doesn't come within 30 days of signup?" Usually the answer is, oh I don't know, but don't worry about it we will have it paid. Then they scramble to quickly pay it :-) Its all about tact working with these offices as you know.

On the smaller FSN's are they owned by a person or entity that owns more land? If so you can get them combined and paid.

Edited by lorenk 7/14/2008 15:27
wimpy
Posted 7/14/2008 20:05 (#415470 - in reply to #414889)

SE Nebr
Lorenk has the right idea, if you good enough on a computer to be on this site you ought to get the level 2 authorization from FSA. Program sign up and ldp's ( we'll use them again) are a breeze.

Scott (OSU)
Posted 7/15/2008 07:43 (#415742 - in reply to #415285)

Dalton, OH
I'm pretty sure mine is one of those split happy offices. Went many years without making many splits. This spring I swear they must have done 10 reconstitutions splitting up my farms by landowner. That was before I was aware of the new rule. Can a person get them recombined?
lorenk
Posted 7/15/2008 23:57 (#416134 - in reply to #415742)

Grand Rapids, MI
If you remained the producer on all of the farms they most likely should not have done this. Here is the general rule: "[7 CFR Part 718.201] Land that was properly constituted under procedures existing at the
time of reconstitution shall remain so constituted until a change in operation or ownership
occurs that requires a reconstitution."

Here is the definition of a "farm":
"Definition of Farm
A farm is made up of tracts that have the same owner and the same operator.
Land with different owners may be combined if all the land is operated by 1 producer with all
of the following elements in common and substantially separate from other tracts:
• labor
• equipment
• accounting system
• management."

So a FSN with multiple owners is not technically correct, unless it meets the four elements above. If it does it would likely have been "properly constituted" at the time they broke it up. They therefore would have violated 7CFR Part 718.201. If they did and it can be shown, there are detailed provisions for correcting this.

BUT...In order to give a full professional opinion, I would need to know more of the details involved. The handbook just on farm reconstitutions is 196 pages. There are exceptions to exceptions...lol...in typical government style.

Bottom line is figure out how much this is costing you. If it is a significant amount over the next 5 years (and likely beyond) then it is worth pursuing. Needless to say the county office is not likely to be happy being questioned. Of course this is why many people have someone like me do their dirty work...lol. I find that often they are not happy with the extra work I am asking, but if the situation is treated professionally they can respect what I have to do. Basically this isn't worth doing for a few dollars per year. If you start getting into the thousands though....we should talk.
Gary Lyon
Posted 7/16/2008 01:48 (#416164 - in reply to #415357)

Southeast Wyoming

I doubt Ed's office is giving him the run around.  My county office was telling the same software story a couple weeks ago.  I called to also inquire about the disaster program check with my name on it.  I was told the check had been approved but that they were not permitted to write any checks at this time.  WHEN??  DON'T KNOW!  There are program changes and "training is needed".  I'm in the process of re-training the people I owe money to - darn, they are stubborn!

There probably is not enough funds to cover all the checks the government needs to write - they hurry to get those corporate-owned farms paid for their investment since March and April, 2008 - never mind my disaster eligible 2007 crop land preparation began in April, 2006.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)