AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sprayer tank algae
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Tim KS
Posted 7/12/2008 14:18 (#414228)
Subject: Sprayer tank algae

Will algae grow in a tank that has a mixture of glyphosate in it?  What about with just AMS? 

Edit......(Referring to translucent polly tanks.)

Edited by Tim KS 7/12/2008 14:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cowboycorn
Posted 7/12/2008 14:34 (#414236 - in reply to #414228)
Subject: RE: Sprayer tank algae

north central Oklahoma
Yes and yes. I fot it bad, and once ya got it, it's hard to get it out and keep it out. Getting a different tank myself, one that I can drain completely, this one leaves 50 gal or more in tank when done sucking it out. PITA. I throw a chlorine tablet in every once in a while when it's going to sit a while.

I think I got it started to begin with hauling fertilizer in it some time ago, I would think AMS, being an ammonium product would speed up the algae process.
Adrian
Posted 7/12/2008 15:31 (#414257 - in reply to #414228)
Subject: Re: Sprayer tank algae

South Georgia
If you've got Roundup in there, do not put any chlorine bleach or anything like that in there. If you do, I promise your Roundup won't work. Almost every time that we had to redo a cover crop burndown, somebody had put some Clorox in the nurse tank to clean up the algae.

How long is this tank gonna sit, Tim? If it's gonna be less than a week, I wouldn't worry about it. My nurse tank sits, full, all the time, and, granted, we spray a pretty good down here, so the water in the tank gets 'changed' pretty regularly, but it takes a while to get bad enough to need cleaning out.

Adrian
Tim KS
Posted 7/12/2008 15:41 (#414261 - in reply to #414257)

Adrian, I usually have 20-30 gallons left in the tank when I finish spraying, and know I'll be spraying glyphos again in a day or three.  I hate to drain out a perfectly good mix that will be good start on the next batch.

Today I mixed a tank with AMS and before I added glyphos, it started to rain...........still raining,  so I don't know how long it will sit.  I think I'll back it in the shed to keep the sun off it.....if it come out.

Algae being a plant, I thought maybe glyphos would put the axe to it too, but apparently not so by the replies so far.

Cary, I got no problem draining this one dry, I just hate to waste the chems to beat the damn algae.

Edited by Tim KS 7/12/2008 15:43
chris dds
Posted 7/12/2008 15:56 (#414263 - in reply to #414228)

Didn't the gene that confers Roundup Readiness come from algae? I think so, but didn't bother to look it up to validate my statement.

My experience has been --

it will be fine in the sun for a while...like a couple of days, much longer and the algae will grow. We keep the sprayer in the shed and haven't had a problem.

I've used chlorinated water spraying roundup many times and never had a problem with algae or the Roundup not working.
Cujo1969
Posted 7/12/2008 16:09 (#414269 - in reply to #414263)

Southern Alberta
I wouldnt think round up would let algae grow. Wouldnt it be more likely to kill it we've left in bottom of tank for quite awhile with no algae and our source water is from a dugout
boog
Posted 7/12/2008 18:30 (#414318 - in reply to #414228)

I haven't had problems with algae. Yet!. But I use to have the ams mixed into my water tank at the co-op when I had it filled. In hot weather it would sour though it never seemed to affect how the gylsophate worked. The tank would really get to stinking & have had the water turn black. When the weather warmed up this year I switched to adding my ams to the water as I filled the sprayer. So far I haven't had problems with it souring in the sprayer tank after being mixed with the gylsophate & have had partial loads sit as long as 2 weeks & longer
Topshot
Posted 7/12/2008 18:51 (#414330 - in reply to #414228)

Near Richmond, IN
Any time my tank is going to sit for a while I pour a little chlorine bleach in it. Never had had a problem with Rup working using that water.
Adrian
Posted 7/12/2008 21:25 (#414385 - in reply to #414228)
Subject: So, the real answer is...

South Georgia
...that I guess you can tell us in a few days.

Adrian
dloc
Posted 7/12/2008 23:57 (#414463 - in reply to #414228)

Stop by the big box store and pick up a bottle of algaecide that is used to control algae in swimming pools. Doesn't take much. Simple solution.
Gerald_skca
Posted 7/13/2008 00:39 (#414483 - in reply to #414228)

Always seem to have some algae in water tank for years. This
year I put a old salt shaker of copper sulfate in the water
truck. It I know unit was going to sit, I would add a little
copper sulfate and rock the truck. At the end of spraying
the tank was clean and use a couple of tablespoons of copper
sulfate. We generally have to treat the dugout a couple times
a year, so get copper sulfate in 50lbs bags. dugout rate
is about 10 lbs/million gals , so doesn't take much copper
sulfate to kill algae
dutch
Posted 7/13/2008 19:07 (#414848 - in reply to #414261)

West Texas
Can you cover it with a tarp? If light can't get to it, algae won't grow.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)