AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn developement
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

nebfarmer
Posted 7/12/2008 12:59 (#414185)
Subject: Corn developement

SE Nebraska, Near Misery and Cans Ass!
I planted part of a field May 5 and the rest May 30. The same variety. Its all tasseling now. Yeah the late planted is a little latter but not more than a few days. How come?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
agrarianyuppie
Posted 7/12/2008 14:52 (#414251 - in reply to #414185)
Subject: RE: Corn developement

SE Iowa
Evidently the conditions were so unfavorable that the 25 day "advantaged" corn developed at a considerably slow pace for those 25 days, while the late corn didn't have to lay around and wait (comparatively speaking) for conditions to improve. Our window of less than ideal spring conditions went really long this year, blurring a lot of normally predictable outcomes.
Tim..swIL
Posted 7/14/2008 01:33 (#415102 - in reply to #414185)
Subject: RE: Corn developement

Freeburg, IL
One nice thing about a corn plant is that when it is planted later than normal, it will make up time. I liken it to waking up late on Sunday morning. If you only have 30 minutes to get ready and get out the door, you can still get a quick shower, shave and get dressed just as you would if you had one hour or 2 hours or whatever.

The corn plant pokes through the ground and goes, "holy crap! I've got to get with it!"

Purdue and Ohio State have done a few tests. To give you a quick summary, their results show that planting to emergence time over a 5 week window is cut in half and emergence to silking was reduced about 9 days for late planted corn. However, silk to blacklayer will be extended a few extra days.

Nielsen and Tominson reported that when planting is delayed after May 1, the number of GDUs from planting to blacklayer decreases 6.8 GDUs per day of delayed planting.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)