AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybeans in the ground too long?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

FARNORTHEAST
Posted 5/18/2015 10:34 (#4577657)
Subject: Soybeans in the ground too long?

So how long can soybeans hang on underground with a 1/4 inch tail on them? They all germinated nicely and then it got cold and they are just sitting there. They have been looking more or less the same for 6 days and now it has gone from cold to frigid and soaked. I dug some up saturday and they looked healthy enough but how long can they survive in limbo like that ? Have to jump on some seed shortly if I am going to reseed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
1156versatile
Posted 5/18/2015 10:57 (#4577688 - in reply to #4577657)
Subject: RE: Soybeans in the ground too long?

Strathcona, mn
When you figure it out let the rest of us know..... Lol. There are thousands upon thousands of acres in the exact same situation. I've had beens not emerge for up to 35 days in years past..... Guess we'll see this year. I've had corn in the ground for 20 days that hasn't emerged either.... What's the longest corn can sit in the same conditions without emerging? I kind of think the ground is so cold again it's acting like a refrigerator and doesn't let the seed rot, lol. It sounds good anyway!
wade garrett
Posted 5/18/2015 11:01 (#4577692 - in reply to #4577688)

Central IL
Corn will sit a surprisingly long time and still emerge if you get the heat and don't get a hard crust. Beans however may not fair as well. Any idea on a 2" soil temp?
FARNORTHEAST
Posted 5/18/2015 11:04 (#4577698 - in reply to #4577692)

38.3 degrees currently. It was 55 when planted and was in the 40s for much of the time in between. No seed treatment but only the 4th bean crop ever on these fields.
wade garrett
Posted 5/18/2015 11:13 (#4577715 - in reply to #4577698)

Central IL
With no treatment I can't help but to think they are going to have a hard time. Just depended how soon you can get some good consistent heat.
CMN
Posted 5/18/2015 11:45 (#4577765 - in reply to #4577698)

West of Mpls MN about 50 miles on Hwy 12
My experience from last year, pythium and all the other issues it causes could be a real problem for you. Last year in my backyard made me a true believer in soybean seed treatment.

Pythium-induced root rot is a common crop disease. When the organism kills newly emerged or emerging seedlings it is known as damping off, and is a very common problem in fields and greenhouses.[2] This disease complex usually involves other pathogens such as Phytophthora and Rhizoctonia. Pythium wilt is caused by zoospore infection of older plants leading to biotrophic infections that become necrotrophic in response to colonization/reinfection pressures or environmental stress,[2][3][4] leading to minor or severe wilting caused by impeded root functioning.[2][5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythium_blight

I like wikipedia as a ag info resource sometimes. Good, basic info, and they're not trying to sell you something. :)

Edited by CMN 5/18/2015 11:46
paul the original
Posted 5/18/2015 11:10 (#4577708 - in reply to #4577688)
Subject: RE: Times 2

southern MN
Either we are gonna have a really nice crop this year, I planted corn as early as I ever did on an open tractor and never wore a coat while planting! And beans are mostly in, some up, as early as ever.

Or, we are going to be scrambling for replant seed, muddying in a crop late on top of what we planted, accepting poor stands of corn, and just generally have a bitter summer.

Really kinda depends on a few degrees up or down this evening in a wide area around here, and how long the beans keep pushing in the cold and wet they have been given.

Ah, the fun of farming. :) Be proud of this year, or can't wait for next year......

Paul
JUST LEARNING
Posted 5/18/2015 11:22 (#4577727 - in reply to #4577657)

KS and NE in eastern 3rd
Had some in the ground for 3 weeks once. They ended up coming through in the well drained areas, but the areas that stayed wet they never emerged. Soil temps were also warmer than you are talking

Edited by JUST LEARNING 5/18/2015 11:23
FARNORTHEAST
Posted 5/18/2015 11:48 (#4577768 - in reply to #4577727)

I guess theres no use perseverating about it. A week from today I should have my answer. Its so wet now we are a week away from getting back on the land anyway even if it does warm up as much as they say it's going to. My sweet corn patch is even slower than the soys so I understand some of the comments about the corn I am reading here. I read a report from Michigan about seed treatment research that kind of refutes the usefulness in these instances but my neighbors all covered their seed in pretty colors so we will see about that I guess. Im just gonna work on getting standing water cleaned up and then wait and see.
Herbie56
Posted 5/18/2015 11:54 (#4577777 - in reply to #4577768)

Coles County, Illinois
The real issue is what you can do about it. Which is nothing right now.
koningj1
Posted 5/18/2015 13:41 (#4577966 - in reply to #4577768)

Yale, Michigan
Seed treatment is absolutely going to help fight diseases like pythium in that cold, wet soil. My alma mater can come out with all the seed treatment studies that show no effect all they want, but many of us have seen firsthand the effects of seed treatments. They are worth it. ESPECIALLY when planting that early that far north. Plenty of farmers around here used a treatment in 2012 and probably didn't need to as it was so warm and dry. Many figured they didn't "need" a seed treatment anymore and it bit some in the butt in 2013 when it got really wet and cold the first week of June. I like to think of a seed treatment as insurance. Some seed companies have replant policies that favor if you treated the first time.

I would talk with neighbors you get along with that used treatment and see if you could look at how their beans are doing.
sparrell
Posted 5/18/2015 12:38 (#4577859 - in reply to #4577657)

I've had them 28-29 days and they came up fine.
vailcat
Posted 5/18/2015 12:48 (#4577877 - in reply to #4577859)

NCND
2009 planted beans on may 5th. They came up June 10. Thought theyd be up by may 12th as they grew quick and fast at first then it turned cold and there they sat.

In 2004 planted some beans around may 10th. GOt a foot of snow may 13th I think. Those beans were in ground for over a month too and came thru and were just fine.

Can't do much about it but I wouldn't worry too hard yet. We seem to plant beans in warm soils here every year then get a 2 week blast of 40 degree soil temps and everything turns out from what I have seen. Have grown quite a few acres in last 7-10 years that the things I use to worry about with beans constantly don't even hardly cross my mind anymore. They are tough

My 2 cents
davpal
Posted 5/18/2015 13:06 (#4577916 - in reply to #4577657)

Mid Michigan
We had some one year that got planted into perfect conditions and that night got a 3 inch pounding rain on them. They were crusted in and we planted some right next to them about two weeks later that were much better than the ones we planted early. Being in the ground too long took away all the vigor out of the plant and they were spent before the race even began. There was a huge side by side difference. Waiting would have been much better in that case.
thisToolpass
Posted 5/18/2015 13:20 (#4577939 - in reply to #4577916)

East Central SD
Patience is needed when the calendar indicates 1st of May and others are planting, especially the large acreage farmers. Equipment is too expensive to wear out prematurely due to planting before the normal frost free date. But planting at normal dates and getting a severe pounding and crusting is another thing that can't be prevented and comes with the risks of raising the crop.
jd8850
Posted 5/18/2015 21:41 (#4578904 - in reply to #4577939)

Roseglen, North Dakota
A lot of wisdom in that post (gained from experience I'm sure) We are trying to learn, planted beans for first time in our lives.
Feeder
Posted 5/18/2015 22:53 (#4579084 - in reply to #4577939)

South-East South Dakota
That attitude is fine. As long as you don't sit still and watch it get to wet to plant stuff that could have been planted. Anytime I've waited I regretted it.

But your version of planting everything one sunny 75* degree afternoon is a fun story to tell.
KellyJ
Posted 5/18/2015 15:06 (#4578075 - in reply to #4577657)

Wisconsin
As another said, early vigor will definitely be reduced the longer they stay in the ground. Also, if you employ reduced tillage and have a decent amount of residue on the surface, slug feeding will be another problem.
FARNORTHEAST
Posted 5/18/2015 16:15 (#4578159 - in reply to #4578075)

no reduced tillage on upcoming bean ground up here. Blacker is better. Its a crap shoot no matter when you plant up here . Every year we have about 3 planting times and one works out and one bombs and the other is in between. I may replant some of these beans even if they emerge because of a vigor loss scenario but we will see. Thanks for all the opinions.
Mikenesd
Posted 5/19/2015 06:29 (#4579303 - in reply to #4578159)

Clark SD
This is where data loggers come in handy. I use them to record the soil temperature at the 2 inch depth. That way i don't have to worry untill there is enough gdd's acumulated that they should have emerged and have not yet, then its time to be concerned.
FARNORTHEAST
Posted 5/19/2015 22:27 (#4580821 - in reply to #4579303)

Mikenesd - 5/19/2015 05:29

This is where data loggers come in handy. I use them to record the soil temperature at the 2 inch depth. That way i don't have to worry untill there is enough gdd's acumulated that they should have emerged and have not yet, then its time to be concerned.

Thats a darn good idea. My ag rep keeps that data. I.m gonna get it.
Mikenesd
Posted 5/20/2015 09:03 (#4581407 - in reply to #4580821)

Clark SD

Here is an example of one field i am keeping track of, soybeans planted into rye stubble on 5/6, the table shows how many gdd's have accumulated so far. Some say that it takes around 90 - 110 gdd's for soybeans to emerge using 50 degrees F for the base temp.
 Its going to be interesting how this turns out.

Edited by Mikenesd 5/21/2015 04:49

(douglas rye stubble planted to soybeans min max air and 2 inch soil temps soybean gdd 2015.bmp)

(douglas rye stubble 5 19 2015.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments douglas rye stubble planted to soybeans min max air and 2 inch soil temps soybean gdd 2015.bmp (596KB - 283 downloads)
Attachments douglas rye stubble 5 19 2015.jpg (141KB - 277 downloads)
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)