AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Scanning with Canon MG3122
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/6/2015 08:43 (#4435245)
Subject: Scanning with Canon MG3122

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have a Canon MG3122 printer/scanner/copier in my home office. It uses Wi-Fi and there is no connection to the printer other than the 110V power input. The old computer is physically plugged into my router. The new computer communicates with the router via Wi-Fi.

The printer portion works fine with either computer and an iPad/iPhone although the output is not centered from the iDevices. The copier portion seems to work fine.

I know I have scanned with this device in the past but have not had the need for some time. In the last week, I've had two occasions where I wanted to use the scanner. As I recall a file is created on the computer which can then be manipulated in the usual ways (attachments to email, printed etc.). When I try pushing the scan button, the display toggles through "E", "3" and "1". I assumes this is telling me that Error 31 has occurred.

A quirk has worked into the system which may or may not have a bearing on this situation. Last year I needed to print on legal sized 17" paper. I wasn't sure if this was possible with my equipment/software. I have Word on the old computer and I was able to set it up for 17" paper which worked fine.

After this I set Word back to 11" paper and the printing seemed to work as before. From that point forward, I get a Canon error message on the newer Win 8 computer that there is a communication problem and it can not print. After a few seconds, the printer takes off and prints the document.

I have downloaded a new version of the printer firmware on the old computer, maybe I need to do the same on the newer one?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MCatSHF
Posted 3/6/2015 08:51 (#4435264 - in reply to #4435245)
Subject: RE: Scanning with Canon MG3122

Sandy Hook, MB

Hello Tedbear

Sometimes an uninstall & reinstall will fix those frustrating computer glitches. 

Philbert
Posted 3/6/2015 09:23 (#4435336 - in reply to #4435245)

BENTON, MO

Firmware is used to update the firmware on the printer, not the software on the computer. Once the firmware is updated you don't need to do it again on the other computer.  Try looking for software updates for your printer, that you can use to update the software on each computer.

I use Windows Fax and Scan on my computers to scan with.  It should be loaded already on your computer.

tedbear
Posted 3/6/2015 10:36 (#4435512 - in reply to #4435336)

Thanks for the advice. I just got doing some searching online and found a document regarding scanning with the MG3122. According to the document I must use a USB cable to a computer and it cannot be done wirelessly. I was very certain that I had scanned wirelessly in the past.
tedbear
Posted 3/6/2015 10:47 (#4435534 - in reply to #4435512)

Just downloaded Windows Fax and Scan as suggested. The install went fine and it seems to work. Thanks

Edited by tedbear 3/6/2015 10:49

(Scanner test with circuit breaker.jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Scanner test with circuit breaker.jpeg (120KB - 308 downloads)
Chimel
Posted 3/7/2015 05:02 (#4437271 - in reply to #4435245)

You should be able to scan wirelessly too:

Built-in Wi-Fi technology allows you to easily print and scan wirelessly virtually anywhere around your house.

But you may need a special Canon software to do so, although it does not mention wireless explicitly.
Or maybe you can't scan wirelessly from the printer-scanner, only from the computers:

For network users, Auto Scan Mode is only available when scanning at a computer using MP Navigator EX software and selecting the 1-click feature then "save to PC".

Built-In Wireless: Print and scan wirelessly from any Wi-Fi enabled computer around the house.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mg_series/pixma_mg3122

tedbear
Posted 3/7/2015 07:39 (#4437448 - in reply to #4437271)

Chimel - 3/7/2015 04:02

You should be able to scan wirelessly too:

Built-in Wi-Fi technology allows you to easily print and scan wirelessly virtually anywhere around your house.

But you may need a special Canon software to do so, although it does not mention wireless explicitly.
Or maybe you can't scan wirelessly from the printer-scanner, only from the computers:

For network users, Auto Scan Mode is only available when scanning at a computer using MP Navigator EX software and selecting the 1-click feature then "save to PC".

Built-In Wireless: Print and scan wirelessly from any Wi-Fi enabled computer around the house.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mg_series/pixma_mg3122

I followed your link which is what I did yesterday and went into the questions area. I asked about scanning and got this page:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifuncti...

I asked about scanning which took me to an answer page, I clicked on the first type since I have a Windows machine. This is where I got the impression that a cable is needed. As I stated before I'm fairly sure that I was successful in the past with the wireless arrangement.

Possibly with the correct drivers, the Scan process can be initiated via the Printer App on the computer, I was attempting to do it with SCAN button on the operator panel. This is when I got E31 on the display.

Now that I've installed the Windows Fax/Scanner indicated above I can accomplish scanning through it so I don't need to go the Canon route.

Thanks for reply.

Edited by tedbear 3/7/2015 07:46
Chimel
Posted 3/7/2015 12:42 (#4437973 - in reply to #4437448)

Yes, that's what it looks like, but you should still be able to scan wirelessly from the computer, maybe right-clicking on the scanner in the Printers Control Panel (depending on your version of Windows.)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)