AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Schaeffer oil
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

All Red
Posted 1/18/2015 09:32 (#4319977)
Subject: Schaeffer oil

Anybody used schaeffer oil for engine and transmission. What are your opinions
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Scillfarmer
Posted 1/18/2015 09:38 (#4320001 - in reply to #4319977)
Subject: RE: Schaeffer oil

southern edge of central illinois
We do, good question. Have used for about ten years. Never
had any engine or other problems. Is that do to the oil? Hard
to say. We do go farther between oil changes now. Spendy
stuff though.
farmboy8480
Posted 1/18/2015 09:41 (#4320006 - in reply to #4319977)

North Central Iowa
Guy I work for has been using it for 15+ years engine oil anyway. Seems to be good stuff they offer free oil analysis but we do not use it. We also use there grease, chain lube, penetrating fluid, citrol degreaser/cleaner, and some of there anti rust products all products are good quality.
BHTN
Posted 1/18/2015 09:45 (#4320019 - in reply to #4319977)

West Tennessee
I'm interested too. I've known several people over the years who've used it and been happy. At their booth at the Farm & Gin show they are always covered up with customers. One year I went over to ask them about some grease and the first thing out of the salesman was that there was a $3,000 minimum order. This was probably 6 or 7 years ago. Pretty sure I don't use that much in a year or more so I've never looked at their products anymore.
All Red
Posted 1/18/2015 09:50 (#4320034 - in reply to #4320019)

The sales rep told me minimum order was $375
a4t-1600
Posted 1/18/2015 09:55 (#4320044 - in reply to #4320001)

Dearfield Co.
In the 80s a local dealer had a offer of a free dyno for our trucks with oil needing changed as well as a dyno with the schaeffer oil. He was so excited about the 15 horsepower gain with his new oil he was convinced he would sell us. Fast forward 10000 miles and he wouldn't leave us alone so I took one back to the cummins shop with the dyno and did 2 sessions one with his 10k oil and then one with the Texaco ursa we used back then. The texaco picked up about 25 horse power to the ground over his oil. He never bothered me again .

with that being said I did this same test one being sponsored with Universal brand hydra clear and then archer--------------they didn't lose the power after 10000 miles like the shaeffers did. with the watchful eye of universal we then started oil sampling with dyno testing up to 20000 miles with no loss of power. They wanted me to go longer with oil sampling every 1000 miles until we showed breakdown but I just couldn't do it . I later tried it on a truck I was planning on trading and about 25000 you could start to see the power loss coming on fast. I did the same with Archer oil and it seems to be a good product as well. we just don't have a easy supply for it. I also replicated the test with deeres plus 40 or what ever its called and found it to be a good oil. I know what has been said about the plus 40 but it has worked well for us .

I did buy a bunch of the schaeffers for the guys around with TDI pumpaduse(sp) engines known for cam shaft issues and have even ran some in our TDI and found it to be similar in these engines to the Mobil turbo diesel truck oil(not to be confused with the regular mobil 15-40) . So I guess my thoughts are if the dealer is local and priced competitive and will service your needs oil is oil unless you are talking walmart brand
gbfarmer
Posted 1/18/2015 10:02 (#4320058 - in reply to #4319977)

SE MN
We used to use it for quite few years and it is good. Have a local sale person that would come around a couple times a year and get our order. Used the engine and hydraulic oil, grease and moly lube from them. Switched to Cenex oils about 20 years ago and have had no problems with it either. Cenex offers a warranty program with their oils also. Have been using Farm Oyl grease with very good results. Schaeffer is very good, but don't think it is worth the extra money. Just my thoughts.
wishbone7803
Posted 1/18/2015 10:07 (#4320069 - in reply to #4320044)

Almond Wisconsin
I use their engine,trans, and gear oils. Grease too. Local service is great. Will drop off anything I need. Price is high, but I'm satisfied.
bullhauler
Posted 1/18/2015 10:13 (#4320083 - in reply to #4320034)

Denhoff,ND right in the center of the State
Our local Coop Elevator started selling it a few years ago, when I purchased a used Dodge pickup with a Cummins in it, the previous owner had used Schaeffer oil in it so I bought some and tried it, eventually changed most of my diesel engines over to it, one thing I did notice is my wife has a high mileage 98 chevy Tahoe that used some oil, so one day it was time to change it and was out of the 10-30 oil I usually use in it so put in Schaeffers 15w40, my wife said it seemed to have better power, and don't know why but the oil consumption went down to nearly none, been using it in there ever since. I used to use Amsoil in my pickups and like it but hated having to order it all the time, its nice to go to the Coop and just pick it up, the Schaeffers is not a full synthetic like Amsoil, I do really like their 85-140 gear lube, use it in all the differentials on the semis and gear boxes on machinery, has a lower pour point than regular 80-90 but a lot more cushion for the gears, seems to have more tackiness to it, does seem to run right off. Terry
Delmarva Ag
Posted 1/18/2015 10:41 (#4320138 - in reply to #4320058)

Seaford, Delaware
To set the record straight there is no minimum to placing an order. You can order one case or pail if you like. The $375 minimum applies for free shipping. Any amount ordered less than that we pass on the shopping charges to the customer. Some reps choose to stock product and will deliver to you directly to avoid the charges. The rep that told you there is a $3000 minimum should have been terminated.

Alan
Ernie
Posted 1/18/2015 10:48 (#4320151 - in reply to #4320083)

North End I-15
Changing from the 10-30 to 15 -40 in my Isuzu Trooper with 3.5 engine .
It dropped oil consumption from a quart to a tank of gas to a quart per 1000 miles . Conoco brand oil on both weights .

I gave the Isuzu to daughter in CA . She says it passed all the emission tests .
1155puller
Posted 1/18/2015 11:27 (#4320244 - in reply to #4320138)

East , central Illinois
We have used it on our farm for over 40 years. Yes it is pricey but we have had very good luck with their products.we have had things happen over the years that make you think the oil saved this motor or that gearbox . I'm sure there are other good oils out their I just hate to change what works for us.
If you ever get to st.louis. Take a tour of their factory , the history there is very interesting!
4th GenerationFarmer
Posted 1/18/2015 11:28 (#4320250 - in reply to #4320138)

NWC Ohio
+1.
I can get Schaffers delivered to my door cheaper than shelf price on Mobil 1 in town. I like the stuff, switching everything over to it. My opinion engines turn over easyier, start faster, run quieter, less oil consumption, longer drain intervals, and a slight mpg increase in mpg over previous oils in my trucks. Brother has done same in his truck, same increase in mpg and less oil consumption and longer drain intervals.
Just my experiences, no guarantees in your situation.
Virginia Veg.
Posted 1/18/2015 12:08 (#4320314 - in reply to #4319977)

Eastern VA. No such thing as too many Magnums.
We use it. And we have for several years. If you decide to try it. Take advantage of the oil analysis. We are doing 400-500 hr oil intervals. No problems on 25 tractors.
OHKen
Posted 1/18/2015 16:50 (#4320929 - in reply to #4320138)

Ohio
Alan it's good to hear from you again ---you can post on topics besides oil !! Are the pinup gals in Delaware still as good looking as I remember ? !! Have used Schaeffer products for close to 40 years . Have had a good rep , no high pressure sales . Have had good results using Wet-SOL in my spray program as well .
69roadrunner
Posted 1/18/2015 18:09 (#4321183 - in reply to #4320314)

North of Iowa
Have been using it for 40 years, has been good to us. No motor failures.
georgeb
Posted 1/18/2015 19:24 (#4321480 - in reply to #4319977)
Subject: try some of there other products also if you change

over. i have used their oil and greases but their other products are fantastic also. citrol for degreasing their penetration lubes and chain lube and a lot more for specific uses. great stuff i believe.
Delmarva Ag
Posted 1/18/2015 20:51 (#4321801 - in reply to #4321480)
Subject: RE: try some of there other products also if you change

Seaford, Delaware
Careful OHKen the pinup girls almost got me kicked off this site a few years ago! Lol. Seriously 99% of the oils on the market today are better than they used to be. Just be careful of some of the low-priced hydraulic oils that some of the farm & garden stores are pushing. The John Deere spec they are claiming they meet has been obsolete for 30 years. Also as 1155puller says stop by the plant and have Mr. Shields give you the Grand Tour. Don't have to be a customer. Interesting story how they have survived for 176 years.

Alan

Edited by Delmarva Ag 1/18/2015 20:55
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)