AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

kenworth t600 turn signal problem
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dieseldoc
Posted 7/13/2014 19:51 (#3966541)
Subject: kenworth t600 turn signal problem

Iowa
86 kw t600. The turn signals do not work and has no power to the turn signal switch. Its a signal stat 900 switch. were does the power come from . I was assuming the brake light switch but not sure were its even located. If anyone knows were the power that goes to the turn signal switch comes from I would appreciate it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Offroadnt
Posted 7/13/2014 20:32 (#3966633 - in reply to #3966541)
Subject: RE: kenworth t600 turn signal problem

Southern Alberta Canada
It'll have a fuse or breaker, do your tractor brake lights work and does the one you switch the signal light switch to go out? If so you are looking at a power source problem. I don't know Kenworths of that vintage that well so I don't know where your fuses and breakers are. Newer trucks have them located in front of the driver's left foot in the kick panel.
dieseldoc
Posted 7/13/2014 21:53 (#3966838 - in reply to #3966633)

Iowa
no brake lights either only marker lights
Offroadnt
Posted 7/13/2014 23:09 (#3966984 - in reply to #3966838)

Southern Alberta Canada
You need power to run the turn signals and power supplied by the brake pressure, it's possible your flasher has failed but they usually just stay on and don't flash. I think you should have power even with the key off because the four way flashers need to work. 1986 is a little weird because it was through that time they switched from combination brake/signal lights to independent brake and signal lights on trailers.

Here's an idea how it works. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=83927...
Here's how it is wired. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachments/signalstat900-20wiri...
dieseldoc
Posted 7/13/2014 23:57 (#3967024 - in reply to #3966984)

Iowa
turn signals work if I run a hot wire right to the flasher but still no brake lights. I have no idea were the brake light switch is located. I am assuming if I can find the switch it should have a constant hot wire to it and then a hot wire coming out when air pressure is applied?
Offroadnt
Posted 7/14/2014 07:18 (#3967181 - in reply to #3967024)

Southern Alberta Canada
I think back then Kenworth used breakers with the threaded posts and I bet one of them has failed. I can't find any info on them on the internet. My guess is if you pull the center section of your dash out you will find them there. The brakelight switch is an air operated switch, in the newer trucks they were under the dash, on yours they might be on the firewall on the drivers side, if your truck has the floor mounted pedal it might be under cab below the drivers feet. I bet it's a breaker though.
Sorry I'm not too much help but I didn't really work on the older version. If you call or drop into your local Kenworth dealer they should be able to give you more precise information.
dieseldoc
Posted 7/14/2014 08:44 (#3967336 - in reply to #3967181)

Iowa
No breakers. only has fuses and relays. they all check out good. In the center section of the dash there is what I think might be the switch . But I cant really trace wires in a million wire harness. But anyway there is no power to either side of the switch.
Offroadnt
Posted 7/14/2014 13:33 (#3967681 - in reply to #3967336)

Southern Alberta Canada
So you have headlights and taillights which means you seem to have a reliable battery power supply. I'm pretty sure brake and signal lights also ran off unswitched battery power on those trucks also. Somehow you have an open circuit between battery and your signal and stoplight switches. You could use your jumper wire to see if your brakelights work when you hotwire that switch you found. I'm sure that truck has breakers for the lights, the old breakers were steel with two #10 threaded posts coming off them like this http://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/images/ProductImages/6513976-23.jpg , I don't believe Kenworth ever used these http://img2.fastenal.com/productimages/0760368.jpg . They've been using breakers in trucks since the mid seventies.
dieseldoc
Posted 7/14/2014 21:12 (#3968391 - in reply to #3967681)

Iowa
everything works if I run a hot wire to one side of the brake light switch. the truck does not have breakers like in your link. if it does I sure cant find them. only thing I see is a fuse panel with relays and fuses. I want to just run a different fused hot wire and be done with it but I know its not the right way to do it and cant let myself do it just because its easy.
Offroadnt
Posted 7/14/2014 22:25 (#3968603 - in reply to #3968391)

Southern Alberta Canada
Is this a tractor or just a straight truck? It's interesting it has no breakers, are the fuses labeled? What kind of fuses does it have the glass type or plug in, how many (roughly)? I was thinking you might short out a headlight and see if you burn a fuse or cause a breaker to click leading you to the breakers.

I wonder if it would help if you asked the question (Does anyone know the wiring and breaker locations on an '86 T600?). There must be someone that knows these trucks pretty good out there. Have you asked on any truck forums?
dieseldoc
Posted 7/14/2014 23:59 (#3968733 - in reply to #3968603)

Iowa
straight truck. it used to be a tractor. it has the flat blade type fuses and they are marked. the only thing I can think of is there is a problem behind the fuse for stop lights. it looks like one heck of a mess to get behind were the fuses push in. I did run a jumper wire for a fuse and it is getting power to both sides but I cant be sure if the wiring behind fuse is good.
Offroadnt
Posted 7/15/2014 07:00 (#3968896 - in reply to #3968733)

Southern Alberta Canada
You said there are relays in there also? Any of them labeled brake lights? Does it click when you push the brakes? Are they this style http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00EeLabrAtJWqo/Automotive-Relay-... ? I've never had one of those give trouble but didn't think they were that popular in trucks back then. I'm thinking they used something more along this line back then http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/threepostrelay.jpg those were kind of crappy. I'd be surprised if your wiring behind the fuses was bad, how many amp is the brakelight fuse?
dieseldoc
Posted 7/15/2014 10:18 (#3969264 - in reply to #3968896)

Iowa
they look like the one in you first link. I did put a known good relay in. 30 amp fuse for brake lights.
Offroadnt
Posted 7/15/2014 20:55 (#3970066 - in reply to #3969264)

Southern Alberta Canada
Can you look into the relay plug, can you see all four electrical connectors? Sometimes they will push back out of the plug when you install the relay. The same applies to the fuse. Have you used a test light to see if any of the connectors have power and a proper ground? Only problem there is your signal stat also has no power... Hot wiring the brake switch itself also energizes the signal lights, is that correct? Where is the fuse box in your cab anyway?
dieseldoc
Posted 7/16/2014 08:33 (#3970772 - in reply to #3970066)

Iowa
relay plug and fuse look good. both test good . The signal stat gets its power from the hot side of the brake switch. The fuse box is down by the clutch pedal. I will look at it some more today I should have the time.

Edited by dieseldoc 7/16/2014 08:34
Offroadnt
Posted 7/16/2014 22:54 (#3972085 - in reply to #3970772)

Southern Alberta Canada
I didn't think Kenworth changed to that style until the '90s, sonofagun... Does it look like this http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo169/moparmike72/fusebox002.jpg ? This is what I'm used to in Kenworths, this one is also filled with breakers except for engine ECM, radio and a couple others. If you can't find the problem a solution might be to use one of the auxiliary fuses from the battery circuit, they should be labeled "spare" or "aux" I believe. If the fuse holder has both female connectors then you should have some wires with round plugs labeled "Spare Batt" and/or Spare Ign behind the left gauge panel up on your dash. You just install a fuse into one of the slots in the fuse panel and check which wire has power and plug into that for brakelight/signal light power.

I also read that it's possible some connections in the plug out the back of your fuse box may have poor connections, might be worth it to try working them around with the four ways on and see if they work then. Had that problem with a T800 no start a few years ago, apparently they can be a problem area.

Edited by Offroadnt 7/16/2014 22:57
dieseldoc
Posted 7/17/2014 08:45 (#3972497 - in reply to #3972085)

Iowa
yea it looks similar to the one in your picture. Anyway I did find the problem last night. I took the fuse box apart and the wire on the backside of the stop light fuse was broken. its probably a good thing I took it apart because someone else must have been in there before and a few things didn't look to good. So since I had it apart I fixed it all and put it back on the truck and everything works now. Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it. Hope I can return the help to you sometime.
Offroadnt
Posted 7/17/2014 13:36 (#3972846 - in reply to #3972497)

Southern Alberta Canada
Good work! Allot of problems are caused by people Mickey Mousing electrical. One of the first things I do when we buy used equipment is check and cleanup the electrical systems, I've probably removed over a mile of wire people have installed over the years. Was the fuse box hard to get into?

Should post a new thread with the solution for anyone else out there.
dieseldoc
Posted 7/17/2014 15:52 (#3973002 - in reply to #3972846)

Iowa
the fuse box wasn't to bad except for the rubber plug ins on the top. they really didn't want to come apart.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)