AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Replacing Pencil injectors on JD 2940 engine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

BOGTROTTER
Posted 6/18/2014 07:03 (#3924754)
Subject: Replacing Pencil injectors on JD 2940 engine

Kingston,Mi
Engine started to run a little rough, checked injectors by cracking high pressure line on each injector and found the bad one. Question is; how important is the use of the carbon cutter JDE 39 when replacing the injectors? The cost at 1 of the John Deere on line stores was $169 and its a tool that I might only use on this 1 engine. Can a Flexihone (dingle berry brush) do the same job and if so what size? Any other suggestions welcome.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DTEK-24
Posted 6/18/2014 19:31 (#3925664 - in reply to #3924754)
Subject: RE: Replacing Pencil injectors on JD 2940 engine

Its not if injectors came out normal. No build up and head bores look good. Break clean. Blow out and install.
Oliver
Posted 6/18/2014 19:35 (#3925672 - in reply to #3924754)

Shaftsbury, Vermont (SW VT)
I never found it necessary to do anything to the hole in the head when replacing injectors. Just plug and play.
I have an expandable spring wire tool for cleaning valve guides that I could use, but never have felt a need to use it. If you feel the need to make sure there is no carbon to mess up your new carbon dam seal, you could take the seals off your old injector, and work it up and down in the hole with a little penetrating oil, and follow up with a rolled up wipe rag on a screwdriver, or use a rifle bore bore brush and then a patch pulled through one of the tips with a slot in it.
BOGTROTTER
Posted 6/18/2014 19:39 (#3925677 - in reply to #3925664)

Kingston,Mi
Thanks DTEK-24, that's exactly what I did, just got in from installing the last injector. After I posted this morning, I checked with a farm mechanic about doing the job (2 to 3 weeks and I would have to move it to his shop 30 miles away) he said if they come out fairly easily just blow out the bore and install. Biggest hurdle was breaking the fuel line nut without twisting something, thank goodness for crowfoot wrenches.
DTEK-24
Posted 6/18/2014 20:48 (#3925783 - in reply to #3925672)

X2 on oliver. Some places offer lowering kits for injectors for better starting .
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)