AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Using RTK GPS to survey property lines
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

stxman
Posted 5/27/2014 15:50 (#3889361)
Subject: Using RTK GPS to survey property lines

Since I now have all of kinds of RTK GPS equipment, handhelds used for scouting, soil sampling (Ag Leader SMS Mesa). I got to thinking that I could maybe use it mark out some property lines that the fence posts are no longer there (I know this would not be official, but should be really close)

How could I go about taking the legal property description and turning it into GPS points that I could than mark with my RTK receiver? Is there a free or inexpensive easy to use software program that I could use on the Ag Leader Mesa? Other ideas?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
swenzel
Posted 5/27/2014 16:35 (#3889407 - in reply to #3889361)
Subject: RE: Using RTK GPS to survey property lines

NW IL
You can use the Mesa (running SMS Mobile) to map the boundary. You can also map boundaries with the Integra as well. We mapped most of our boundaries using RTK and a Integra/ParaDyme on a Polaris Ranger. On my list this week is to move some hardware over to the Ranger to map a few more boundaries before all the soybeans emerge.

Once the boundaries are mapped you can them import them into SMS (either basic or advanced). Also in SMS, you can manually edit or modify the boundaries if needed.
stxman
Posted 5/27/2014 20:27 (#3889684 - in reply to #3889407)

I know I can map boundaries with the Integra and/or Mesa as long as I know where the boundary line is. I was hoping to be able to take the legal descripition (i.e Sec 32, T8N, R1E, E 1/2 of NW 1/4 Ex Com at NW Cor of Sd E 1/2 of NW 1/2, Th E Alg N Ln of Sec 140 ft, S Parl with N&S 1/4 Ln of Sec 311 Ft. W Parl With N Sec Ln 140 ft, N 311 Ft to Beg) and turn this into the corner points since I don't know exactly where they are at around the field. I can find most of the survey markers in the road to use as a reference to measure off of
Drilldo
Posted 5/28/2014 14:30 (#3890855 - in reply to #3889684)

Texas
The short answer is no you can not do this with any level of confidence that is is correct. Land surveying is very complicated and many times things are not what they appear to be.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)