AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rivets on kenworth cab
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

winner2011
Posted 1/26/2014 17:18 (#3637348)
Subject: Rivets on kenworth cab

Northwest Illinois
Bought a used daycab t600 that has these fairings coming off back of cab. It is an aerodyne cab converted to daycab and I believe these fairings were installed then because it's the stock location for the exhaust. I want to remove them. The easy part is removing but was questioning the replacement of the new rivets. The rivets are solid aluminum round head. I believe these are installed with an air huck riveting gun with interior out and a hammer on the back. Am I wrong or how is this done. The rivets are factory location and was wondering if a blind pop rivet would be a good enough replacement. Basically don't want to buy a special gun for solid rivets or remove interior.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jimgen
Posted 1/26/2014 17:47 (#3637444 - in reply to #3637348)
Subject: Re: Rivets on kenworth cab

central mich
you are correct they are pulled from the inside with a Huck puller. Kenworth has the rivets and the Huck. We have a Huck and they are pretty pricey. If you only have a few maybe just drive it to KW and have them pull the rivets.
Big Ben
Posted 1/26/2014 17:51 (#3637453 - in reply to #3637348)
Subject: RE: Rivets on kenworth cab

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
Hucks are installed with just the huck gun on the inside, no hammer involved. They are better fastners than pop rivets, but depending on what you're attaching the rivets can work well enough.
You'll have huck pieces rattling around in your cab if you cut them off the outside but don't remove the interior.

Edited by Big Ben 1/26/2014 18:02
winner2011
Posted 1/26/2014 17:59 (#3637478 - in reply to #3637453)

Northwest Illinois
Thanks guys. I think I'll try finding a huck gun and removing the interior. Somebody locally should have one.
durallymax
Posted 1/26/2014 17:59 (#3637479 - in reply to #3637348)

Wi

winner2011 - 1/26/2014 16:18 Bought a used daycab t600 that has these fairings coming off back of cab. It is an aerodyne cab converted to daycab and I believe these fairings were installed then because it's the stock location for the exhaust. I want to remove them. The easy part is removing but was questioning the replacement of the new rivets. The rivets are solid aluminum round head. I believe these are installed with an air huck riveting gun with interior out and a hammer on the back. Am I wrong or how is this done. The rivets are factory location and was wondering if a blind pop rivet would be a good enough replacement. Basically don't want to buy a special gun for solid rivets or remove interior.

You will need a tool for installing the blind huck rivets from the inside. Removing the interior is not hard, if you don't want to buy a gun take it to the dealer or somebody else who has a gun.

Otherwise here is on place that sells a lot of them

http://www.gagebilt.com/Riveter%20Kits.htm 

a4t-1600
Posted 1/26/2014 18:05 (#3637494 - in reply to #3637479)

Dearfield Co.
No need to huck them they make what is called a shave able rivet that only a few would notice the difference . When we remove extenders on about anything that's what we use
GREEN FARMER
Posted 1/26/2014 20:34 (#3638085 - in reply to #3637348)

central mn
Do you have any pictures of the shavable rivets? I wanna remove the extension on my sleeper.
a4t-1600
Posted 1/26/2014 22:52 (#3638509 - in reply to #3638085)

Dearfield Co.
no everyone is out that I have used them on---------------you might try google ? The only bad thing is when you misplace the little tool that shaves them down.I intially found the kit at Lousiville at the truck show.I will see if I can find a link to the company in the box
a4t-1600
Posted 1/26/2014 23:00 (#3638519 - in reply to #3637348)

Dearfield Co.
They are olympic shaveable rivets---------The paper that came with the kit says if you dont want to buy the tool you can use a dremel tool for decent results.I have had some fail upon installation and had to drill them out but no more holes than you have to fill and for the cost no big deal.It seems the rivets are about $2 apiece the last time I bought some but my source was not my normal one but handy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)