AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Craig's list .....what would they be trying to pull here ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Dave9110
Posted 1/25/2014 19:00 (#3634996)
Subject: Craig's list .....what would they be trying to pull here ?

north-central Indiana west of Fulton
Just went to one of the local Craig's list locations and was looking under ATV/UTV and snowmobles and clicked on an '08 Ranger for only 2975 dollars (too cheap). Looked like new with full cab. Minimal information given....no location no phone number. Then I got to looking, and on just the first screen page, I found 10 or more near identical adds.....Rangers, Gators or ATV's with no location or phone number, but priced at about 25 to 35 percent of probable value. All had E mail only, some the same.... some different but similar, some all together different. What would someone think they could pull here ? Sure threw a red flag with me with the first add let alone a dozen like it !
Top of the page Bottom of the page
iseedit
Posted 1/25/2014 19:02 (#3635004 - in reply to #3634996)
Subject: RE: Craig's list .....what would they be trying to pull here ?

central - east central Minnesota -

Dave9110 - 1/25/2014 19:00 Just went to one of the local Craig's list locations and was looking under ATV/UTV and snowmobles and clicked on an '08 Ranger for only 2975 dollars (too cheap). Looked like new with full cab. Minimal information given....no location no phone number. Then I got to looking, and on just the first screen page, I found 10 or more near identical adds.....Rangers, Gators or ATV's with no location or phone number, but priced at about 25 to 35 percent of probable value. All had E mail only, some the same.... some different but similar, some all together different. What would someone think they could pull here ? Sure threw a red flag with me with the first add let alone a dozen like it !

Phishing for email info and phone numbers from you . . . . Best thing with ad's like that, flag them to be taken down.

It's pretty easy to figure out the non- legitmate ads and scams ads'

Dave9110
Posted 1/25/2014 19:08 (#3635022 - in reply to #3635004)
Subject: RE: Craig's list .....what would they be trying to pull here ?

Can't imagine anyone responding to an obvious red flag......seems the poster would at least make it somewhat believable !
iseedit
Posted 1/25/2014 19:35 (#3635095 - in reply to #3635022)
Subject: RE: You would think . . .

central - east central Minnesota -

Dave9110 - 1/25/2014 19:08 Can't imagine anyone responding to an obvious red flag......seems the poster would at least make it somewhat believable  !

Yes, You'd think no one would respond . . .but there are probably hundreds that do and multiply that across the USA, it all adds up.

If you look across the different craiglist locations, you'll find the exact same ad's . . . . 

Seems they go in cycles . .  they hit Mn locations for a week, and with heavy flagging, are gone for a few months.

Dusty Trails
Posted 1/25/2014 19:43 (#3635120 - in reply to #3634996)
Subject: Re: Craig's list .....what would they be trying to pull here ?

Typical SCAM , do not send them any MONEY.
Haleiwa
Posted 1/26/2014 01:59 (#3635788 - in reply to #3634996)

West Chazy, New York
If you respond you will get a story about how the owner is in (fill in the blank with a far away country) and has entrusted his cousin/wife/sister/brother to sell it as he needs the money. Then they will tell you that it is not "here" but someplace in a distant state, and when you buy it the "agent" will arrange for it to be shipped to you. Just send or wire the money and it will be at your door in a few weeks.
tedbear
Posted 1/26/2014 09:49 (#3636280 - in reply to #3635788)

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Along this line. I have two current items for sale in the Classifieds here and on Craigslist. I got several legitimate responses.

I did get a phone call message to reply to an 800 number from something called Machinery Daily as to whether my used planter was still for sale. There was an extension listed and quite a bit of background conversation.

I also got an email yesterday asking about my $1300 saddle tanks and if that was my bottom dollar. The reply phone number was from N.Y. It seems quite unusual that someone from N.Y. would be interested in my tanks which are located in Southern Minnesota.

I haven't replied to either of those requests. I hoping to sell these items to someone locally for our mutual best interests.
Dave9110
Posted 1/26/2014 09:56 (#3636304 - in reply to #3636280)

It amazes me of all the "creativity" some people come up with to try to con others out of their money. No surprise we tend to be skepticle of almost anything any more !
rocky grounder
Posted 1/26/2014 10:43 (#3636412 - in reply to #3636304)

blairsville,pa
Dave9110 - 1/26/2014 10:56

It amazes me of all the "creativity" some people come up with to try to con others out of their money. No surprise we tend to be skepticle of almost anything any more !

yep, if half this energy / intelligence was put forth onto honest work they probably would have a decent job and wouldn't need to choose this path.
F150Mustang
Posted 1/26/2014 15:18 (#3637040 - in reply to #3636280)

Southern Mn
I sold a $1200 John Deere 800 swather to a guy in new york, he needed one quick to get a crop in and he arranged the trucking out of green bay, I was happy and so was he. Im sure he spent way more on the trucking than he did on the swather.
tomosakis
Posted 1/26/2014 13:29 (#3636802 - in reply to #3634996)

Osakis, MN
They are looking for the people who have no clue as to what a scam is! They only look at that ranger as a good deal and the other person surely doesn't know they might be selling it too cheap. They are the clueless people that they prey on! Most people see the scam right away, its the two people out there that read it and go to the ends of the earth to get a "good deal".
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)