AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kuhn - Haybob or Sitrex haymaker (pic)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Larry in AB
Posted 7/25/2013 01:12 (#3227977)
Subject: Kuhn - Haybob or Sitrex haymaker (pic)

Alberta, Canada

Anyone have one of these rigs. I've seen a few companies have them Sitrex, Vicon , Kuhn and they all look the same or similar. How do they work on fluffing up smaller windrows from a 9 to 10foot disc mower. Are there any issues with them like weak points one should be aware of.

Edited by Larry in AB 7/25/2013 01:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slugbait
Posted 7/25/2013 09:27 (#3228341 - in reply to #3227977)
Subject: RE: Kuhn - Haybob or Sitrex haymaker (pic)

Pedee, Oregon
Have one (Kuhn) and run it behind a 9' moco. It will work as a rake or tedder, but they are not great at either. PTO rpm and groundspeed are very critical to get it to do what you want it to. I can rake two windrows together from the 9' mower, barely. If you don't pay attention to how it is working, it will push the wet hay on the bottom into the center of the windrow which doesn't help it dry any. They are pretty robust, have run it over some rough ground. It won't leave a clean field like a wheel rake or a rolabar rake.
Haystax
Posted 7/25/2013 09:51 (#3228375 - in reply to #3227977)
Subject: Re: Kuhn - Haybob or Sitrex haymaker (pic)

DV, NV
We use them on our Timothy hay. There are lots of them around the neighborhood and all different brands of basically the same design. PZ was the original brand we own, can't think of other brands.

Good for single windrow tedding and raking, better at raking and stirring up a windrow than for tedding. Make sure and grind a bevel to the tips of all the teeth or it will grab and throw hay. Get some spare teeth, two types on each side. Spare tire is a must have also. Take center divider shield off and throw it away. Drill lots more holes in the exit tine bars so you can adjust the windrow more. Lots of tinkering to get a perfect job but it is possible.

FWIW I have seen one of my operators run a 100lb 3-string bale plum through the tedder and not break anything - pretty stout little units.
slowzuki
Posted 7/25/2013 10:07 (#3228400 - in reply to #3227977)

New Brunswick, Canada
Common haybob, tough, slow, and eat tines and the little springs for breakfast. Used to be all over here, less so now. Good on rough ground. Good making windrows for small square baler.
Larry in AB
Posted 7/25/2013 10:16 (#3228411 - in reply to #3228400)

Alberta, Canada
Yeah I talked to a salesman and he mentioned its not really made for tedding a heavy 12-14 foot windrow. 9' would be ok and for fluffing up a single windrow they are suppost to be able to do.

Edited by Larry in AB 7/25/2013 10:19
495man
Posted 7/25/2013 14:49 (#3228779 - in reply to #3228411)

Nova Scotia
Kuhn has one another size up that offsets the windrow so you can make a double pass windrow.

There used to be lots of these types of machines around, most got parked as tines and were more money that the machine was worth.

Kuhn started selling these locally this year, local dealer had a couple on the lot. I understand Kuhn bought PZ (original "hay bob" maker")
RodInNS
Posted 7/25/2013 23:19 (#3229801 - in reply to #3227977)
Subject: RE: Kuhn - Haybob or Sitrex haymaker (pic)

I've never used the newer version but I've used some old Haybob's. They work fine on a 10' row. I've never found anything wrong with the job they do... worked fine as a tedder. Granted I never did use one raking. I don't think they're bad tho... lots of them around here. The problem with them, as been mentioned... they eat tines and springs up. A set of teeth per year is nothing if you're on rough ground... and they're slow. It's bad enough to cover 9' once with the mower. Then do it again and again with the tedder... then rake. They're slow. If you're doing 10ac a day... fine. If you've got much more you're going to want a much bigger machine.

Rod
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)