AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best skid steer for farm/ranch
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

GregChuckles
Posted 6/8/2013 21:40 (#3144797)
Subject: Best skid steer for farm/ranch

Curious as to everyone's opinion on the best brand of skid steers on the market for the farm/ranch. The pros and cons of every brand. I'm in the market for a good low houred used model, and there is a Bobcat S650 with. 750 hours for sale locally , appears to be in good shape . Anyone have one if these. I've noticed that there are a lot of Case models on here for pics, not familiar with them and there aren't many around here. I've noticed reading other forums that a lot of people speak highly of the NH's. it's mostly Cats or Boncats around here. I know my dad many years ago worked construction and said if he could have ever afford one he'd get a NH. I want to use it primarily for cleaning barn and pens, lifting things around the place, moving bales, putting up fence, moving snow among other things. I'd love to get a track model as those would be great for moving and piling manure but they are out of my price range for good used ones. So what's everyone's experience and which one would you go with?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
CanadianCowMan
Posted 6/8/2013 21:43 (#3144808 - in reply to #3144797)
Subject: RE: Best skid steer for farm/ranch

Chilliwack BC Canada
Personally I like Bobcat the best of the brands I have driven. The sight lines are the best that I can tell, smooth operation, good hydrolics As for mechanically which one is best IDK im not a mechanic.
Bob ncmo
Posted 6/8/2013 22:18 (#3144911 - in reply to #3144797)

Just outside downtown Prairie Hill
We have a bobcat and a john deere. My preference is the bobcat partially because it has foot controls. I've been running foot control machines so long...all the others just aren't as smooth. Had a dealer tell me once that people didn't like foot controls because if they went into a ditch or dip they had nowhere to brace their feet. I told him that information was good to know since I'd been running one twenty five years and was unaware of that problem. Depends a lot on what you are used to running and what kind of service is available. You will love having a skid steer.
NDcattleman
Posted 6/8/2013 22:26 (#3144938 - in reply to #3144797)
Subject: Re: Best skid steer for farm/ranch

North Central ND
I think it depends alot on what service centers you have close and what kind of service you receive from them. My choice is Bobcat but that's because we have a store 60 miles away and they have been great to us even though we bought ours private treaty.
GregChuckles
Posted 6/8/2013 22:27 (#3144945 - in reply to #3144797)

Personally I like the joystick controls. Again just personal preference. I used to spend a lot of hours in one with foot controls and my feet would get tired st the end if the day, doesn't happen with the hand controls. But again, that's a personal preference.

I like the NHs but the view kinda stinkos on them IMO. These newer S and M series Bobcats seem to have em beat. Cats are nice to but I want everyone's opinion.
Billyfox
Posted 6/9/2013 00:50 (#3145088 - in reply to #3144945)

BC, Canada
Running a new Bobcat S570 to load feed on our dairy and love it. Demoed a comparable sized Deere machine and the visibility was very poor out the sides. The dark arms of the Deere made it darker in the cab as we load out of covered bunkers but the white arms of the Bobcat seem to reflect the light. Little things i know
thumb farmer
Posted 6/9/2013 05:35 (#3145138 - in reply to #3144797)

Port Austin Mi.
I have a 325 John Deere with pilolet controles and love it. I think having a good dealer is the key.
dairyman78
Posted 6/9/2013 07:15 (#3145220 - in reply to #3144797)

S.C. Wisconsin
I am prejudice because I work on them and we put a lot hours on them,CAT.
bellyacre
Posted 6/9/2013 07:58 (#3145287 - in reply to #3144797)

SWMN
Great dealer support 6 miles away made my NH choice very easy. They always have a loaner available but I've never needed it. If you need that machine every day it's a confident feeling to know you can call the owner or his son on Christmas morning and they will get you going or give you a loaner.
vardaman
Posted 6/9/2013 09:18 (#3145459 - in reply to #3145287)

SW Iowa, Clarinda
We have 2 CAT skidders with tracks.....we like them both.
jgb2152
Posted 6/9/2013 10:06 (#3145574 - in reply to #3144945)

clark county Iowa
Depending on what on what your doing,If your off concret a lot tracks are only way to go.
Dodgefarmboy
Posted 6/9/2013 10:31 (#3145616 - in reply to #3144797)

Ill be the odd ball out here.... I really love all the Gehls we have had over the years and IMO the T-bar controls are second to none! we have had 5 or 6 new Gehls over the years and have put 5-6k hours on each before trading and we have never replaced a motor or hydro in one yet! Just changed fluids and put new tires on when needed and keep on going.

Also the Gehls have very basic gauges and no fancy frills in the cab which I like just keep it simple

Edited by Dodgefarmboy 6/9/2013 10:32
mr.agco
Posted 6/9/2013 11:22 (#3145697 - in reply to #3144797)

Watonwan County MN
Case, hands down. Our 60xt gets more use than any other piece of machinery on the farm.
garvo
Posted 6/9/2013 12:48 (#3145845 - in reply to #3144797)

western iowa,by Denison
bobcat hard to beat-user friendly and have good resale
mndairyfarmer
Posted 6/9/2013 13:07 (#3145883 - in reply to #3145616)

swmn

another vote on gehl. have had good luck w/ them.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)