AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Polaris Ranger won't start
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

chaddivin
Posted 4/30/2013 11:34 (#3071764)
Subject: Polaris Ranger won't start

South texas
I have an 07 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI that won't start. Initially thought it was a battery, but that isn't the problem. Could jump solenoid and it will turn over, but not start. Decided to replace key switch and solenoid. Still does nothing, just clicks in solenoid when you turn the key. Dash lights don't even come on. Any ideas, or what am I overlooking? Thanks for you help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
1modirtfarmer
Posted 4/30/2013 12:00 (#3071798 - in reply to #3071764)
Subject: RE: Polaris Ranger won't start

Malden, MO
Check ground wires! Not sure if you may any after market accessories, but I have RangerWare windshield w extra lights that comes with a standard auto battery. In the kit they put a negative and positive(isolator) stud through the metal plate that goes to the fuse block under the seat. The ground is notorious on losing connection, and does the exact same thing you described, no dash lights or connection to starter!
Hopefully this helps and goodluck
JoeR
Posted 4/30/2013 12:15 (#3071820 - in reply to #3071764)
Subject: Re: Polaris Ranger won't start

NW Iowa
Ours will do the same thing now and again. Let it sit come back a few hours later and fires right up. Not sure what's going on...
IQBID
Posted 4/30/2013 13:46 (#3071936 - in reply to #3071764)

1modirtfarmer is right with the ground issue on some Rangers. Clean up the grounds and check the ends of the ground cables closely to make sure they are not loose or corroded inside. I had a cable go bad on mine once. Also, check the wires from the switch to the solenoid to make sure they have good connections and aren't damaged in the route somewhere. Once you get the connections cleaned up try coating them with dielectric grease. Helps alot long term.
Millhouse
Posted 4/30/2013 14:36 (#3071989 - in reply to #3071764)

South-central Nebraska
Make sure it is simply not grounding out. My 09 had wires against the engine that rubbed/vibrated the insulation off and would ground out and do the same thing as yours. Once found, wrapped them in plastic conduit and problem solved.
KDD
Posted 4/30/2013 21:11 (#3072619 - in reply to #3071764)

Leesburg, Ohio
Can't believe that the official NAT approved atv would ever cause trouble....;-)

(Actually, the only Polaris I ever had wouldn't run right from one day to the next. Got a Gator and a Kubota, no trouble after five years.). But I digress.....
tkjfarm
Posted 5/1/2013 00:38 (#3072979 - in reply to #3072619)

Galva, Illinois
Our 800 has a wire that will come out unpluged around the the driver side rear tire. it wont start until it is plugged back in.
braidy
Posted 5/2/2013 09:25 (#3075445 - in reply to #3071764)

NW Minnesota
I would check the brake switch. Do the brake light come on when you press the brake? The switch is located down on the frame in the brake line going to the rear wheels. The switch has two pins and the connector just slides onto it. Pull that connector off and check for corrosion. Clean the contacts and use electrical grease. Also you should be able to jumper the switch at the connector to see if its your problem. Its pretty common. One more thing did you check the fuses under the hood?
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)