AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DOT tie down rules
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Buster 50
Posted 3/5/2013 16:13 (#2944044)
Subject: DOT tie down rules

North West IA/western AZ
I've been going thru the law, but I'm still unsure about the chain stregth needed. The vehicle being transported is a skidsteer weighing 7500#. I get the 4 separate chains with tightners, does each one need to be 7500# strength or 1/2 that? Do I need a separate chain over the lowered boom?
Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BCFENCE
Posted 3/5/2013 16:18 (#2944063 - in reply to #2944044)
Subject: Re: DOT tie down rules

Every state is diffrent but, In ky under 10 thousnd pounds needs one chain on front and one on back, Then if it has an attachment or a backhoe it also needs to be chained down. I think indiana has to chain every corner. I dont have an awnser for ya but if i was in question i would just throw a 3/8 chain on every corner and roll on. Thats my opinion anywys.
iseedit
Posted 3/5/2013 16:19 (#2944064 - in reply to #2944044)
Subject: RE: DOT tie down rules

central - east central Minnesota -

Buster 50 - 3/5/2013 16:13 I've been going thru the law, but I'm still unsure about the chain stregth needed. The vehicle being transported is a skidsteer weighing 7500#. I get the 4 separate chains with tightners, does each one need to be 7500# strength or 1/2 that? Do I need a separate chain over the lowered boom? Thanks

I take a crack at it .  . .  see how many agree or disagree ~    ; ~ )

If the machine/vehicle, on trailer, is less then 10,000 lbs, you only need a chain on the back and a chain on the front. No chain neccessary on boom/bucket.  (that pertains to excavators/backhoe booms/buckets).
The chains need to be of succuficent strenght to secure the 7500 #'s.
Now, you have to satify DOT, if they start asking questions as to the weight of machine (ID plate with S# and other info) and proof of chain/binder strenght and certifacation.

Edited by iseedit 3/5/2013 16:21
emtbd1979
Posted 3/5/2013 16:22 (#2944077 - in reply to #2944064)

west central illinois
Use 2 3/8 chain, one on front and one on the back. Criss cross the chains and use 4 binders. That is how I was taught to do it.
Dingaling
Posted 3/5/2013 16:25 (#2944084 - in reply to #2944044)

Owings, Maryland 38.6856 N 76.6752 W
Grade 70 chain... I think that is right,, if not the professionals will seep from the woodwork and correct me....
tim42163
Posted 3/5/2013 16:32 (#2944096 - in reply to #2944044)

Western Iowa
Lowell, I have a appointment with a DOT officer who is coming to my house on Thursday. I also have a large skid loader and trailer here. And I will print out your post and present it to the officer, if okay with you. I will let you know what the officer says.

I am sure four chains is overkill. I use two chains on the main machine, and one on the boom/bucket. Binders on the drivers side so I can see them in my mirror. I use 3/8 chains, and 5/16 or 3/8 chain on the boom. Maybe the 5/16 chain is sufficient, but I use the 3/8 on the main machine.
durallymax
Posted 3/5/2013 16:37 (#2944109 - in reply to #2944077)

Wi

emtbd1979 - 3/5/2013 15:22 Use 2 3/8 chain, one on front and one on the back. Criss cross the chains and use 4 binders. That is how I was taught to do it.

Curious how to criss cross one chain?

Ive criss cross with two (4 total).

To the OP, there are some rules and regs but it is ultimatley still at the drivers descretion of what is safe. Think to yourself, what is enough to keep it from falling off and in an extremely odd case, klilling someone.

For a skid steer I always run one chain through rear tie downs angled back. One binder on each side.

Then another chain through front tie downs angled forward. Try to avoid having it not in a straight line (rubbing tires etc.) Binder on each side. 

There is always the question of preferred chain fastening to the rails.  On a trailer with stake pockets I go down next to the pocket then up through the pocket and hook the hook on the edge of the pocket. Its the method I used fastening loads for a company and it just stuck.  There is a very low chance for slack, gravity keeps it from releasing when it is still loose and it is quick. 

On mini backhoes they want you to secure the blade, I would think with something like that then they would also want you to secure boom on SSL, there are hooks on most of them for doing it. I see alot of farmers securing the entire skid steer with one chain through the boom.

Edited by durallymax 3/5/2013 16:38
HT67
Posted 3/5/2013 16:38 (#2944112 - in reply to #2944044)

Virginia
Lowell, a google search on DOT regulations for securing cargo can give you lots of information.
durallymax
Posted 3/5/2013 16:39 (#2944117 - in reply to #2944096)

Wi

tim42163 - 3/5/2013 15:32 Lowell, I have a appointment with a DOT officer who is coming to my house on Thursday. I also have a large skid loader and trailer here. And I will print out your post and present it to the officer, if okay with you. I will let you know what the officer says. I am sure four chains is overkill. I use two chains on the main machine, and one on the boom/bucket. Binders on the drivers side so I can see them in my mirror. I use 3/8 chains, and 5/16 or 3/8 chain on the boom. Maybe the 5/16 chain is sufficient, but I use the 3/8 on the main machine.

Is your passenger side mirror broken?

Most want binders on each side as it is anyways.  

It is much safer to check binders on the road on the passenger side. 

frmerndel
Posted 3/5/2013 16:39 (#2944118 - in reply to #2944044)

Here's one to add.... Just had a similar meeting and he dot officer stated that if you use one chain with two binders they automatically cut the rating of he binders in half of whatever their rating is. If it's two chains and two binders binding is rated for whatever it's printed on the binder at. Doesn't matter if he bind rating exceeds chain rating singly. And yes on the grade 70 chain, nothing less.
emtbd1979
Posted 3/5/2013 16:42 (#2944121 - in reply to #2944109)

west central illinois
Hook ends of chain to machine and hook your binders to the trailer. This is on a lowboy not a small trailer. You should always criss cross the chains. Had guys with 30 years experience hauling heavy equipment teach me the different techniques. I have been stopped and checked at scale houses before and always passed.
Buster 50
Posted 3/5/2013 16:54 (#2944146 - in reply to #2944096)

North West IA/western AZ
tim42163 - 3/5/2013 15:32

Lowell, I have a appointment with a DOT officer who is coming to my house on Thursday. I also have a large skid loader and trailer here. And I will print out your post and present it to the officer, if okay with you. I will let you know what the officer says.

I am sure four chains is overkill. I use two chains on the main machine, and one on the boom/bucket. Binders on the drivers side so I can see them in my mirror. I use 3/8 chains, and 5/16 or 3/8 chain on the boom. Maybe the 5/16 chain is sufficient, but I use the 3/8 on the main machine.

Thursday is the day I make the move. I plan on missing the scales, but want to look good enough that the odd driveby won't feel obligated to stop me.
hillfarmer
Posted 3/5/2013 17:05 (#2944168 - in reply to #2944118)

maybe

14000 lb backhoe

one chain and one binder on each corner 5/16 G43 SWL 3900 lb or 5/16 G70 4700 lb

one chain and binder over the backhoe digging bucket ,What weight is the "hoe"?

one chain and binder over the loader bucket "not sure witch, perfect angle, is stated "just over"

3/8 G43 5400

3/8 G70 6600

Like multiple choice !!

emtbd1979
Posted 3/5/2013 17:38 (#2944227 - in reply to #2944118)

west central illinois
frmerndel - 3/5/2013 15:39

Here's one to add.... Just had a similar meeting and he dot officer stated that if you use one chain with two binders they automatically cut the rating of he binders in half of whatever their rating is. If it's two chains and two binders binding is rated for whatever it's printed on the binder at. Doesn't matter if he bind rating exceeds chain rating singly. And yes on the grade 70 chain, nothing less.
that is what I was told also.
dakotadirt
Posted 3/5/2013 17:44 (#2944245 - in reply to #2944044)

this reminds me of a previous post. if you hauled it in the back of one of those toy-hauler RV's your wife could bring it home with no chains. i'd put on 4 3/8 chains, 4 binders, and carry some cash for bail money just in case.
durallymax
Posted 3/5/2013 17:51 (#2944274 - in reply to #2944044)

Wi
frmerndel - 3/5/2013 15:39 Here's one to add.... Just had a similar meeting and he dot officer stated that if you use one chain with two binders they automatically cut the rating of he binders in half of whatever their rating is. If it's two chains and two binders binding is rated for whatever it's printed on the binder at. Doesn't matter if he bind rating exceeds chain rating singly. And yes on the grade 70 chain, nothing less.

I remember hearing that multiple times.

emtbd1979 - 3/5/2013 15:42 Hook ends of chain to machine and hook your binders to the trailer. This is on a lowboy not a small trailer. You should always criss cross the chains. Had guys with 30 years experience hauling heavy equipment teach me the different techniques. I have been stopped and checked at scale houses before and always passed.

I was having troubles visuallizing it, thanks.

I have always been taught to criss cross as well. I don't on skid steers, but larger loads on low boys it is much easier to do.
Burdick
Posted 3/5/2013 18:08 (#2944319 - in reply to #2944274)

sullivan il.
guess i have been doing it wrong all these years all you need is good parking brake we dont need no stinking chains. lol
winger
Posted 3/5/2013 18:09 (#2944320 - in reply to #2944044)

swmn/soin
On the chains...if they are new..great, but if they have been stretched any amount, don`t use them. Also if the chain shows any place where it has been drug along on the ground, that section of chain, if used, cuts down your overall capacity. It will get you a ticket especially if you are only using one in the front and one in the back. A chain that the DOT officer deems as damaged can be considered partially unsecured. Use the four heavier chains and good wratchet binders and secure the excess loose chains. Should be good to go..good luck.
E718
Posted 3/5/2013 19:01 (#2944468 - in reply to #2944044)

Sac & Story county IA
The federal rules are for an object over 10,000 pounds. 4 chains, each with their own tightening device. Each chain to have capacity of 1/4 of the weight of object. If the chain has no marking as to capacity, the lowest capacity for that size chain will be assigned. ( The 10,000 pounds almost takes you off the hook.)
It has been my experience, if you look good and safe, you will be fine.
If you have an extra chain and binder, put it on the bucket.
There is one more scale on 29 south of Mo Valley, northbound. Not open, much. Later in the day, usually.
I knew the guy that owned the truck where these new rules came from. They had crushed cars on a flatbed going to Council Bluffs. Not secured adequately, cars fell off, killed 2 girls driving to school.
Hay Hud Ohio
Posted 3/5/2013 20:02 (#2944690 - in reply to #2944044)

SW Ohio
Why speculate? go read the rules yourself and then you can make your own interpretation ( isn't that what the LEO/Reo's do? interpret??)

Read till you get blurry eyed http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmc...

Oh I forgot, you could just look in your copy of FMCSA rules that is in your glove box, it is in there right?? !!!
Lizton farmer
Posted 3/5/2013 20:03 (#2944694 - in reply to #2944044)

lizton IN

Here us a link to what Purdue put out.

Securing the load  

Ray (ecks)
Posted 3/5/2013 20:20 (#2944748 - in reply to #2944084)

You are right it all has to be certified transport chain with that little 70 stamped on it.

I have never had dot question the size of the chain just made sure it was transport chain and you had at least one every 10 ft. Also have to make sure u don't go thru a link and keep on going such that if something happened the chain could slide thru the link and let the machine move.
tim42163
Posted 3/5/2013 22:24 (#2945184 - in reply to #2944146)

Western Iowa
Buster 50 - 3/5/2013 15:54

Thursday is the day I make the move. I plan on missing the scales, but want to look good enough that the odd driveby won't feel obligated to stop me.

Of course you didn't mean to say that you "plan on missing the scales", did you?? (I won't be printing out any post or mention that the questions originated here.)

There is a DOT officer that lives near Lawton, and one lives near Bronson. Both drive their official vehicles from their home & back again after their work shifts. They usually work out of the I29 scale south of Salix. One often travels Hwy 20 and I29 on his commute. The other one often commutes to/from his home using D38 East out of Sgt Bluff, & Old Hwy 141. (That one cost me over $200 last summer.)

Otherwise, it looks like you are getting plenty of advice here. I'm sure I could learn plenty, so I am going to read it all. Good luck.

Buster 50
Posted 3/6/2013 07:23 (#2945589 - in reply to #2945184)

North West IA/western AZ
tim42163 - 3/5/2013 21:24

Buster 50 - 3/5/2013 15:54

Of course you didn't mean to say that you "plan on missing the scales", did you?? (I won't be printing out any post or mention that the questions originated here.)

There is a DOT officer that lives near Lawton, and one lives near Bronson. Both drive their official vehicles from their home & back again after their work shifts. They usually work out of the I29 scale south of Salix. One often travels Hwy 20 and I29 on his commute. The other one often commutes to/from his home using D38 East out of Sgt Bluff, & Old Hwy 141. (That one cost me over $200 last summer.)

Otherwise, it looks like you are getting plenty of advice here. I'm sure I could learn plenty, so I am going to read it all. Good luck.

The planning is to take a shorter route, not actively bypass scales. LOL
HT67
Posted 3/6/2013 18:39 (#2946811 - in reply to #2944690)

Virginia
+1
IADAVE
Posted 3/6/2013 21:48 (#2947474 - in reply to #2944694)

The sum of the working load rating on the securement devices must equal 1/2 the weight of the object being secured. Booms and buckets must also be secured. Chain or straps should be marked for load rating. If they are not marked it will be assumed they are of the lowest grade. The officer should have a chart of this as I believe does your DOT handbook. If a chain has drag marks or is stretched it can be considered as not there.
There are also rules about reduced capacity on straps. They don't care if you tie them down with shoelaces as long as the load rating is high enough on them.3/8 grade 40 chain is roughly equal to 5/16 grade 70.
shaun3480
Posted 3/6/2013 22:42 (#2947673 - in reply to #2944044)

Phillips Co NW Kansas
Here in KS I believe we are required to have four tie-down points and if you have an attachment or bucket it has to have a chain over it too. Four points does not mean one chain front and rear with two boomers on each chain. It means 4 seperate chains unless your chains are long enough you can make loops out of it. My old boss was very very particular about the DOT regs and always made sure he was up to date on them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)