AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Small rolling shop platform
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Alberta Pioneer
Posted 3/2/2013 21:39 (#2937777)
Subject: Small rolling shop platform

Warburg, AB
Hey all,
I'm wanting to build a small wood platform with castors, to set a 3 piece metal toolbox set on (flush on the floor, at the one end, if I use 4 castors there will be a pair directly under it), as well as 2 other wood cabinets I'm building. The metal set will be around 400 lbs max currently, and probably dumbed down some when I get a bigger rolling set - this one will move to lesser duties. I'm using 3/8" plywood as a skin on top, everything will be set on to it and secured. It will be 18" deep and 8' long, with hopefully only 4 castors under it. I was originally thinking of 2x4s on their flat with braces like a ladder, but I'm thinking they'll need to be on their edge. Am I asking for trouble? It won't move a whole lot. I can also double up the 2x4's on their flat, supposedly that's stronger than a 4x4. I'm trying to keep it lower profile if possible, will go 2x6 on edge if needed, hoping not though. Any ideas?

EDIT:
 photo ToolboxCart_zpsef31f473.png

Here's a rough idea of what I'm after. The big box on the left will be a locker, for PPE, coveralls, boots, etc. Mostly light stuff, can lock it up. Smaller box beside it will be some trays for aerosol cans. The grey box is the same dimensions as mine, except I have a 3rd piece, with 2 drawers, in between the 2. I haven't decided on the middle yet. It could be possible to "box" it more, thus making it more rigid.

Bruce

Edited by Bruce Avison 3/2/2013 23:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)