AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old Steiger wiring questions. (pic)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 2/11/2013 20:58 (#2892661)
Subject: Old Steiger wiring questions. (pic)

I have an old 1978 ST-270 with a cat 3306. On the back of the injection pump there is a device that looks to be a solenoid of sorts. It has a wire to it from the factory harness, then someon adde an additional wire to it that they had attached to a toggle switch inside the cab.

Question is, why the additional wire? Was there an issue that a toggle switch was supposed to solve?

Also, the power wire to the glow plug solenoid has fried. I cant find a breaker schematic and when I called Big tractor parts, they did not have one either. Might someone know which breaker, or where the power wire to the glow plug solenoid originates?

Thanks.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lefty11
Posted 2/11/2013 21:21 (#2892750 - in reply to #2892661)
Subject: RE: Old Steiger wiring questions. (pic)

Coaldale, Alberta, Canada
We have an '84 3306b DIT. That solenoid is the shut off, and powered from the key. Perhaps the key switch or the original wiring had a break, so they put in a toggle to act as a key switch. Power to solenoid to run I believe,

H
Pat H
Posted 2/11/2013 21:58 (#2892869 - in reply to #2892661)
Subject: Re: Old Steiger wiring questions. (pic)

Usually glow plugs are wired to a timer or a special circuit with a dash indicator to let you know they are on. wiring them to the fuel shut off relay would probably be a mistake since the glow plugs are not supposed to be on all the time
willvr
Posted 2/11/2013 22:02 (#2892888 - in reply to #2892661)
Subject: Re: Old Steiger wiring questions. (pic)

Bow Island, Alberta
I have a 75 Steiger Cougar 2 with the same engine. I think the manual has a wireing diagram, which I could send you. Probably different, but may be similar enough to help. On mine, the glow plugs are controlled by the starter switch. Turn to the left for glow plugs, turn to the right to activate starter.
Old Pokey
Posted 2/11/2013 22:56 (#2893023 - in reply to #2892661)
Subject: RE: Old Steiger wiring questions. (pic)

It's a series 3 cougar. The glow plugs have a dash rocker switch and is labelled start aid. The hot wire that feeds the solenoid is hot all the time and the solenoid is activated using the rocker switch. Both wires are in the same loom wrap, but the activation wire seems unhurt. I was able to buy a new glow plug lead that goes out from the solenoid to all the glow plugs from the local cat dealer. They even had it in stock. But forward of the solenoid is a Steiger, so they were unable to help me on that.

It appears everything is breaker supported instead of fuses, which I thought was rather cool. But there is no labelling or schematic on any surface or in the op manual. I may just have to take the time and use a continuity tester and see where that takes me.

Thanks.

Old Pokey
Posted 2/12/2013 06:43 (#2893243 - in reply to #2893023)
Subject: Thank you so much for those.

Yes, they are very readable. And thank you very much for taking the time to scan and upload them. I shall print them and put them to good use.

Thanks again for your efforts. I will let you know how it goes.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)