AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mining CEO discuss future of gold market
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Gottlieb
Posted 11/24/2012 08:04 (#2713758)
Subject: Mining CEO discuss future of gold market

This miner, Rob Mcewen say dollar has lost 85% of its purchasing power in last eleven years. Yet, he say, people think there is no inflation.
When people realize government does not have all the answers then individually they assume more responsibility for their own financial future.
Mcewen predict $2000/ounce gold next year
$5000/ounce gold in four years and silver...$200/ounce

http://www.arabianmoney.net/gold-silver/2012/11/24/supply-constrain...

today, i was reading the paper and this say to watch Mcewen Mining, ja. gottlieb.
http://www.sfgate.com/business/prweb/article/PennyStocks101-com-Rep...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ehoff
Posted 11/24/2012 09:24 (#2713883 - in reply to #2713758)
Subject: Re: Mining CEO discuss future of gold market

Central Missouri
The article is misleading as to where MUX has its assets. It owns 49% of a gold mine in Argentina, it owns the 5th largest copper deposit on earth in Argentina which it plans to sell in the next 12 months to finance its gold/silver mine builds. It operates a gold/silver mine in Mexico called El Gallo and is ramping up production. After El Gallo phase 2 goes into production in 2014 it will put its gold Bar property in production which I think is in the U.S. It will be mining 280k ounces gold equivalent by eoy 2015. Only 1 drawback and that is the float is 280 million. I love the company. Rob Mcewen built gold corp from nothing to the largest gold producer on earth and is gonna do it again with MUX. He personally owns 25% of all shares. Great company great management great properties in a great industry.

Edited by ehoff 11/24/2012 09:26
badger@uw
Posted 11/24/2012 10:27 (#2713989 - in reply to #2713758)
Subject: Long and wrong.

East Troy, WI

"Growing demand" is an artifact of currency volatility.   PM behave more like bonds these days than a scarce resource - especially as gold has no industrial value   All that has to happen to burst a bubble is a failure to match alternative yields ( minus risk premium of course).

buckeye
Posted 11/24/2012 10:30 (#2713998 - in reply to #2713989)

So Badger do you own pm's?
badger@uw
Posted 11/24/2012 17:20 (#2714546 - in reply to #2713998)

East Troy, WI

I do not have a position in PM's.  I would consider other rare earth metals as a good buy during a recession.  I have a mix of cash, equities, and bonds -  both domestic and foreign.  The article in the Original post reflect comment from a Gold miner - who is long and wrong. 

Conceptually, I like a gold.  I do not, however,  think it is trading in a manner that reflects a perfectly informed "independent"  currency.   Its pricing is at risk in expanding economies and appeals to the general public as an inflation protected asset - which it is not.     John Burns brings up many  good point and practical way in which price is supported at current levels.  I have the opinion that it is overpriced and represents too much speculation on currency instability. 

Not my image, assume the discounting is correct:
 inflated gold price

Gold is demanded by some cultures, required by some banking systems, and sought by many in times of projected instability.   My underlying assumptions is - things just are not that bad and are likely getting better.  Unless there is true gold demand (or disappearance) or equity values do not reflect local inflated pricing, there is no driver of gold to go much higher.   The entire risk premium is in and diluted buying power is not likely to support skyrocketing prices.  As far as there being a bubble - I have no proof.  The price of gold might settle slowly - or simply flat line (gold will not pay earnings, unfortunately).     I do not, though,  want to be a buyer of tulips --- ever . 

John Burns
Posted 11/24/2012 10:51 (#2714041 - in reply to #2713989)
Subject: Bond market

Pittsburg, Kansas

When the public figures that out about the bond market............................

There is no "risk-less" measuring stick any more.

Actually, I would say gold is acting more like a currency these days. At least that is the way the Eastern central banks are treating it by diversifying their reserves.

John

Edited by John Burns 11/24/2012 10:54
Gottlieb
Posted 11/24/2012 12:24 (#2714186 - in reply to #2714041)
Subject: RE: Bond market

ja, John, gold acts like currency. If it was not so then worlds' central banks would not keep it in their reserves, ja.

Deutsche Bank say in Sept. that gold is getting ready for zero...as in zero growth, zero yield, zero velocity, zero confidence...

say dollar will plummet in first 1/2 of 2013 to less than a 2,000th of an ounce of gold. Deutsche Bank say good money is gold and bad money is fiat currency.

People maybe don't understand gold so well. Bank say that Gresham's Law will have "good money (undervalued money) leave the country or disappear from

circulation into hordes while overvalued money (bad money) will flood into circulation." This thinking comes directly from Deutsche Bank so we consider the

source, ja. Now look at what is happening since Germany has called back its gold because of price suppression. Austria now wishes to do same.

Austrian Times just say: http://austriantimes.at/news/Business/2012-11-22/45593/Call_to_brin...

Gottlieb.

This explain Gresham Law more thoroughly, ja.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gresham%27s_law

John Burns
Posted 11/24/2012 12:41 (#2714204 - in reply to #2714186)
Subject: fractional reserve gold market

Pittsburg, Kansas

LOL.

I always wonder what "leasing" is all about (tongue in cheek).

Let's see.............. If I go into a bank and "lease" some gold what am I going to do with it? Put it in a safe so I can return it when the lease is up and pay the lease interest fee for the privilege???  Or will I perhaps be a jeweler that will turn it into jewelery and sell the jewelery to the public or maybe a speculator that will sell it into the physical market using the cash proceeds for other speculations, all with the intention of buying it back later at a cheaper price to return it when the lease is up? Or maybe the interest rate on the lease is so low I just intend to take the money I got when I sold the gold and invest it elsewhere to make lots of money and just continue paying the pittance of interest it costs me to least the gold?

Leasing gold. Good luck in getting it back from the Lessee as the price continues to rise. 80 to 100 ounces of paper gold exists for every ounce of the real stuff there is to back the "fractional reserve gold market".................... This also is also not going to end well. 

John

Edited by John Burns 11/24/2012 12:42
ehoff
Posted 11/24/2012 10:36 (#2714013 - in reply to #2713758)

Central Missouri
As long as real rates are negative long is right. And real rates will stay negative as long as Bernanke is fed chair and Obama is President. So long is right and will remain so for the forseeable future. http://www.321gold.com/editorials/hamilton/hamilton112312.html

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article37602.html

Just here to help an academician understand some economics.

Edited by ehoff 11/24/2012 10:47

(gold_vs_levels_of_interest_rates_1970-2012-400.jpg)

(real_interest_rates_vs_gold_price_1970-2012-400.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments gold_vs_levels_of_interest_rates_1970-2012-400.jpg (14KB - 70 downloads)
Attachments real_interest_rates_vs_gold_price_1970-2012-400.jpg (12KB - 74 downloads)
John Burns
Posted 11/24/2012 11:00 (#2714060 - in reply to #2714013)

Pittsburg, Kansas

Agree.

And either real interest rates stay negative or the US and Fed together blow up their balance sheets. The Fed with bad paper on the books and the Treasury by not being able to stand the interest cost. Low interest rates are about the only card they have left to play to keep the debt super-cycle from imploding. And low interest rates are not a fix, only a stall tactic.

This is not going to end well.

John

buckeye
Posted 11/24/2012 11:07 (#2714069 - in reply to #2714060)

Badger,
My advice to you is to listen to what Eddie and John are saying, and ACT! Wealth is being destroyed as we speak. Do not hold large amounts of dollar denominated assets!
badger@uw
Posted 11/24/2012 17:45 (#2714582 - in reply to #2714069)

East Troy, WI

How is this better than holding international funds?    Are you concerned about global economic downslide?   Which assest classes are eroding? 

buckeye
Posted 11/24/2012 11:08 (#2714072 - in reply to #2714060)

edit for double post.

Edited by buckeye 11/24/2012 11:09
ehoff
Posted 11/24/2012 11:17 (#2714086 - in reply to #2714060)

Central Missouri
and so back to the origin of this thread ...... The only hiccup in Mcewens ability to work his plan is his ability to sell the Argentinian copper project which he says he will get done. My guess is it will be for 400 million plus. He needs 200 million to finish el gallo 2, I suspect he will pay a dividend and he will have some 100 million left to buy another property or company which he can then use the profits from el gallo, and gold bar to finance the new project and so on.

But lets first just look at his projection of 280k ounces of production in 2015. If the all in cost of production climbs to 1300 an ounce and gold is selling at 1800 an ounce, profit will rest at 500 an ounce or so which amounts to 140 million or 50 cents a share. 18 times earnings gets 9 bucks a share. each 500 dollar increase in gold price from there adds 9 bucks a share theoretically. Just a few back of napkin numbers. If the general public starts to buy pm equities valuations can go way up from 18 times earnings depending on the compnies reserves, management and growth profile.
John Burns
Posted 11/24/2012 12:28 (#2714190 - in reply to #2714086)

Pittsburg, Kansas

My problem is, to buy more of his company I have to sell something else I own (I stay fully invested all the time). So what do I sell? That is always my problem. To own more of something I have to sell something I already have that I also like (or at least liket at the time I bought it). My luck seems to be just as soon as I sell something, it doubles in price. So I'm always reluctant to sell and second guess my original research and reason for buying.

Casey and some of the other advisers are big on when something doubles sell half of it and take a "free ride", meaning that the shares you have left you have no cost left in them because the profit from the other half paid for the whole lot. From my perspective I completely disagree with that idea. I understand their logic and from the perspective of a newsletter writer it makes all the sense in the world. By taking some profits off the table is is easy for them to claim "wins" and wins are what sell newsletters. People tend to have short investing memories and the fact that the writer made the person a lot of money earlier will be lost if there are not a few "wins" along the way to  keep the investor interested in keeping the subscription going.

But looking at my own portfolio over the years, it is the handful of the really spectacular "blow out the lights" stocks that have really added the "juice" to my returns. Had I followed the "free ride" logic I'm satisfied my overall returns would have been lower because I would have sold half the shares of some of my best gaining stocks. For every ten stocks I buy, being realistic with myself, I have no way of knowing which one is going to do well. I can study everything and more likely than not the one that I think will be the "no brainer, can't miss" will not be the one that shoots out the lights. No one can predict when something like a mine collapse or other catastrophe will happen. So over the years I have chosen not to second guess myself. When I buy I'm in for the long haul.

Has it worked? Well it is not uncommon for me to have a few stocks every year that go to nothing. Zero, zip, nada. Belly up. Funny thing is one of my very best years of returns I have ever had came in the same year that I had the most stocks go belly up. Go figure. I just have to do my homework, place my bets, and let fate happen. I'm just not good enough at analysis to tell which one is going to be the right one and which one is the bad one and sure as I second guess my original decision and sell something, it turns around and shoots out the lights.

So that is my dilemma. In order to buy more I have to sell something. I do sell, but usually years after the initial purchase. Usually when the market is telling me I'm in the wrong asset class. I do have some MUX as well as MCEEF. Will probably have it for at least another five years or so.

John

badger@uw
Posted 11/24/2012 17:59 (#2714610 - in reply to #2714086)

East Troy, WI

Most cost of productions projections are around the $500-700 range (plus energy inflation).  That is a real concern.  

ehoff
Posted 11/24/2012 20:44 (#2714917 - in reply to #2714610)

Central Missouri
It is great to see both sides of the coin. One thing is for sure, when the coin is flipped it isn't gonna land standing on edge.
John Burns
Posted 11/24/2012 11:28 (#2714099 - in reply to #2714013)
Subject: Here is what Keynes said about capital

Pittsburg, Kansas

A quote from Keynes "General Theory".

Interest today rewards no genuine sacrifice, any more than does the rent of land. The owner of capital can obtain interest because capital is scarce, just as the owner of land can obtain rent because land is scarce. But whilst there may be intrinsic reasons for the scarcity of land, there are no intrinsic reasons for the scarcity of capital.”
. . .
“Thus we might aim in practice (there being nothing in this which is unattainable) at an increase in capital until it ceases to be scarce, so that the functionless investor will no longer receive a bonus[.] (emphasis added by me) “

(I pulled this quote of Keynes from Kyle Bass blog here)

In other words Keynes thinks capital should have no value. To me this is typical of looking at something from an academic point of view where everything is just numbers. For example, say a guy works hard and saves money to start a business up. From Keynes perspective those dollars that the guy put his sweat and blood into to save has no more value than the dollars that the Fed can conjure up out of nothing from a printing press or computer keyboard. To Keynes capital does not represent work and productivity but simply something abstract that can be created at will. I think people that work for a living and save and work hard at a business they own would take exception with that.

We have a whole generation of economists that have been trained to think along the lines of Keynes, with a small group of economists as exceptions to that rule. This is the road we are being lead (or some of us pushed) down.

That is the difference between gold (and silver) and dollars. It can't be conjured out of nothing. It represents a real asset that takes effort to procure and can't be created out of nothing at a cost of nothing. The East knows this. China and India account for over half the worlds gold consumption and a significant portion of the world population that is actually seeing increases in living standards and real income instead of those standards decreasing.

The 80's gold run up was  pretty much a US centric thing and came to an abrupt halt when real interest rates turned positive (ala Paul Volker). We (the Fed and Treasury) can't stand to have positive real interest rates today as it would bankrupt both. Today the US accounts for 8% of gold consumption. We are the tail that is attempting to wag the dog. Those that fail to see that connection will easily be fooled into following the wrong path to wealth preservation.

John

Superfarmin
Posted 11/24/2012 12:07 (#2714160 - in reply to #2714099)

John can you explain further what you mean from the last paragraph.... more so the last couple sentences... I'm a little slow today..
The 80's gold run up was pretty much a US centric thing and came to an abrupt halt when real interest rates turned positive (ala Paul Volker). We (the Fed and Treasury) can't stand to have positive real interest rates today as it would bankrupt both. Today the US accounts for 8% of gold consumption. We are the tail that is attempting to wag the dog. Those that fail to see that connection will easily be fooled into following the wrong path to wealth preservation.
John Burns
Posted 11/24/2012 13:25 (#2714262 - in reply to #2714160)
Subject: lot of ground to cover

Pittsburg, Kansas

There are a several different subjects in those statements. Not sure which one you mean. If you have read a lot of my posts for the last three or four years most of that was covered and so my comments here were shorthand for things that have been talked about pretty extensively. I'll attempt to explain in something less than a tome but all of those subjects are of significant depth so doing so is difficult.

The 80's gold run up was pretty much a US centric thing..............   Gold had been illegal to own (as bullion) for US citizens from 1933(??) till sometime in the early 70's. Chinese citizens have not been able to own or buy gold and silver till the last decade. China in no way participated in the 70's gold run up yet just within the last couple months have become the worlds largest buyer of gold (surpassing India). They are a big market with a big appetite for gold with a government encouraging their citizens to buy gold and a population with a historic affinity to gold and silver because of Chinese history of paper currency failure. These are huge ranks of people with growing disposable income with a thirst for gold, a government encouraging it, and a distrust for government paper money. None of this demand existed in the 70's (because it was illegal for Chinese citizens to own gold). India's love of gold is well known and is long lived.

came to an abrupt halt when real interest rates turned positive (ala Paul Volker)........... Paul Volker, then Fed chairman, raised interest rates to double digits to put out the flames of runaway inflation. We had went off the gold exchange standard (Bretton Woods agreement) in 71. Money had been created out the Wazoo both to finance Johnsons "Guns and Butter" programs then the Vietnam war. The monetary inflation had caught traction causing price inflation. People started anticipating the inflation that started the feedback loop that eventually leads to hyperinflation. Paul Volker brought it to a screeching halt with high interest rates. 

We (the Fed and Treasury) can't stand to have positive real interest rates today as it would bankrupt both.............. We 1. don't have that option available today and 2. don't have the political will to do so even if the option were available. Tall Paul was not a popular person for what he did. He took the punch bowl away while the party was in full swing. Bernanke today, to the contrary, is spiking the punch bowl and making sure it is kept full. His solution is "party hardy". Why can't we raise interest rates to double digit should price inflation get out of hand? Consider first the Fed. A chart of their balance sheet has been posted on here a number of times so I will not look it up and post one now, but it has ballooned. A good share of what is on it is questionable mortgage debt instruments. Should interest rise, more housing defaults, and that paper quickly goes from bad to worthless. Right now it is carried on their books at full face value. High interest rates would bankrupt our central bank. High interest rates would also bankrupt the Treasury (US government). Right now the interest on the trillions of government debt is only somewhat sustainable because interest rates are almost nothing. Should interest rates go up even a few percentage points...............  well think Greece. We are between a very large rock and a very hard place. Monetarily and fiscally speaking.

Today the US accounts for 8% of gold consumption................ And we think we (as in the US) somehow determine or are the driver behind the price of gold? Me thinks we think too highly of ourselves.

We are the tail that is attempting to wag the dog.......................... when it comes to the price of gold. Gold price is determined currently in two markets. The US Comex paper futures market and the London gold exchange (where gold is traded with a 100 to one fractional reserve leverage). China and India consume half the worlds gold production. You do the math if demand over runs paper gold that has one physical ounce backing promises to one hundred paper ounces.

Following the wrong path for wealth preservation?  Look at bonds where the "full faith and credit of the US government" is backing government debt that is increasing at the rate of over a trillion dollars a year and new money is being created with abandon........... and gold that increases in quanity at about the rate of 1% per year.

Actually, I like silver.

My opinion, worth what you paid for it. Hope this helps.

John

Edited by John Burns 11/24/2012 13:37
Superfarmin
Posted 11/25/2012 11:27 (#2715846 - in reply to #2714262)

Thanks john
Redman
Posted 11/24/2012 14:12 (#2714323 - in reply to #2714099)
Subject: RE: Here is what Keynes said about capital

SW Saskatchewan
Do you understand the economic theory of rent?

Yes, it does refer to land.

Matter of fact, the renown journal "The Economist" was formed in the 1840's to lobby for the Corn Laws which had increased the rents to United Kingdom Farm Land.
sandiego77
Posted 11/25/2012 19:47 (#2716746 - in reply to #2714323)
Subject: McEwen talking his book of course

San Diego
MUX has a big problem being in argentina, that's why it dove near 2.00 earlier in the year

grains bulls have been mentioning argentina imploding as well..
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/23/us-argentina-bonds-invest...
(Reuters) - Fears of a looming default on Argentine bonds are sending all but the bravest investors to the exits after a U.S. judge ruled against the country's government in a decade-old dispute over sovereign debt.

golds stocks have not done well, one reason is that nowadays the funds can use GLD SLV GDX style etfs instead of taking single stock risk, another being the costs of building mines at the $1Bil usd minimum, equipment and energy costs thru the roof (takes alot of caterpillars and crude oil)
...junior miners have had about their worst year in history, that's because unlikely they'll get any mine built due to the above

it's very unlikely currency will fail...the world keeps on muddling thru... if currency did fail nobody would take precious metals in payment for anything, life would be more like the nbc show 'revolution' where the gun holders kill you..

the 30 year bond being near a 20 year high, makes nibbling on TBT an inverse etf a good idea...if bond yields finally do get off the bottom and start uptrending then it will hurt gold as it's always done

always watch NIKK at nite!
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$NIKK&p=D&yr=1&mn=4&dy=0&id=p24919...

cheers!
John Burns
Posted 11/26/2012 11:26 (#2718005 - in reply to #2716746)
Subject: gold in a rising interest rate environment

Pittsburg, Kansas

Rather than me saying it, this article states it much better than I could.

Interest rates is one aspect of the valuation of gold in terms of a currency. But it is certainly not the only aspect nor a hard and fast rule.

John

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)