AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Some questions for anyone who has had problems with radishes plugging tile
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jbgruver
Posted 9/30/2012 08:58 (#2615533)
Subject: Some questions for anyone who has had problems with radishes plugging tile

How early did you plant your radishes and how big did the radishes get? Also how deep were your tile lines?

I have heard enough anecdotal reports of tile plugging to believe this is a real issue but I wonder if the main problem is that the radishes were planted too early.

Radishes planted mid-summer (following small grains or prevent plant situations) can get enormous, especially if planted at low populations.
Tile plugging seems much more likely when radishes have a chance to get very large.

With adequate moisture and fertility, radishes planted 1.5 to 2 months before the average frost date can accomplish much of the nutrient scavenging, biodrilling, biological activation etc... accomplished by radishes planted in mid-summer (3+ months before frost).

Potential negatives like plugging tile, going to seed, filling the neighborhood with rotten egg odor :->, all should be less likely with later planted radishes.

I have never heard of radishes planted after corn or bean harvest (or overseeded into standing crops) causing any plugging of tile.

Joel
WIU Agriculture

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)