AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cab Roof Removal on JD 6430 Premium
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Schmerko
Posted 9/10/2012 21:34 (#2585006)
Subject: Cab Roof Removal on JD 6430 Premium

East Central Iowa
Anyone have any experience in removing the cab roof from a John Deere 6430 Premium tractor (with the window/hatch)? We need to access the tubing for the front windshield wiper/washer and apparently the top part of the roof needs to come off to do that. Question is:

1) How big of a job is it to do this? Manpower and time?

2) Do we only need to remove the two bolts on top and take out the 3 screws/bolt along the sides under each roof edge on the right and left side or is there more to it?

Thanks!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JLynn
Posted 9/10/2012 22:27 (#2585167 - in reply to #2585006)
Subject: RE: Cab Roof Removal on JD 6430 Premium

NW VA

I'm thinking there's a few more screws than that around the edge, but maybe i'm confusing the 7x30's.  Thinking maybe the rear work lights may have to be taken loose to access some of the screws, my memory's a little fuzzy without checking, but with the 2 top bolts and all the edge screws out it should come off.

Edited by JLynn 9/10/2012 22:28
Campbell Farms
Posted 9/10/2012 23:17 (#2585284 - in reply to #2585006)
Subject: Re: Cab Roof Removal on JD 6430 Premium

Sw Mo
Not sure on the window and hatch situation but on plain roof the bolts you stated and also take front and rear clearance lights loose and a bolt under each one, iirc thats all. Two people and 30 min should have it off.
johnypop
Posted 9/10/2012 23:33 (#2585307 - in reply to #2585006)

ND

I would remove the window first and then remove front and rear lamps or whatever is in the way of those little screws around the edge.

Oliver
Posted 9/11/2012 21:23 (#2586421 - in reply to #2585006)

Shaftsbury, Vermont (SW VT)
I'm thinking there's two big bolts on top (16mm ?) you need a 15/16" on; four more you need maybe a 10mm wrench on-those are the ones on top.
Perhaps 3 or 5 torx headed screws on each side, and you need to let the corner lights dangle on their wires while you get at two more front and rear.
I never had to deal with the window/hatch in the roof, so I don't know what all is involved there.
Then you have to hand it off to a helper to get it down safely.
I like the roof part of a Sound Guard cab better, but the rest of newer cabs are WAY better.
If you wanna have fun, try replacing the "Panoramic" windshield on one of the newer cabs. First one I did, in the field, took two helpers, and over four hours. It would go quicker next time.
On second thought---next time---I'd let one of the younger guys take the call, and we'd see how smart#$$ he was afterward.

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)