AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bob Streit Column
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WeaveFarmer
Posted 6/2/2012 21:32 (#2411165)
Subject: Bob Streit Column

Boone Co. Iowa
http://www.farm-news.com/page/content.detail/id/503220/CROP-WATCH.h...

About halfway down this column he talks about Rootless Corn and a product that is now used to keep wheat from lodging....

"Back in the mid- and late-1980s, Rhone Poulenc was experimenting with a growth regulator known as cerone. It was an ethylene-based product in a phosphate fertilizer base. It was and is being used widely on wheat today to eliminate lodging problems."

Can anyone else comment on cerone?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jocoshar23
Posted 6/2/2012 23:18 (#2411352 - in reply to #2411165)
Subject: Re: Bob Streit Column

SE IA
I have heard Mr. Steit talk before and I respect him as an agronomist, but cannot agree with his theories. Doesn't surprise me to see him and Dr. Huber jumping on another "natural" symptom and preach about some miracle micro-nutrient that will solve the problems associated with rootless corn. How many years have guys observed rootless corn? It hasn't happened here very often and the biggest problem is the shallow planting corn.

I really don't think we can or should call rootless corn a disease. It is an environmental condition that can occur with the wrong environmental stresses occuring.
Ed Winkle
Posted 6/3/2012 16:02 (#2412365 - in reply to #2411352)

Martinsville, Ohio
I will agree that I find a lot of micronutrient deficiencies in fields and this may help this condition in years like this.

Thanks for posting the column, lots to think about in it.

Ed
johnny skeptical
Posted 6/3/2012 22:38 (#2413014 - in reply to #2411352)

n.c.iowa

jocoshar23 - 6/3/2012 10:18 I have heard Mr. Steit talk before and I respect him as an agronomist, but cannot agree with his theories. Doesn't surprise me to see him and Dr. Huber jumping on another "natural" symptom and preach about some miracle micro-nutrient that will solve the problems associated with rootless corn. How many years have guys observed rootless corn? It hasn't happened here very often and the biggest problem is the shallow planting corn. I really don't think we can or should call rootless corn a disease. It is an environmental condition that can occur with the wrong environmental stresses occuring.
x2,streit is chasing around another"problem"with another quick cure product.    

Edited by johnny skeptical 6/3/2012 22:39
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)