AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

custom hire tree spade - how much?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dewgubbe
Posted 4/16/2012 23:16 (#2340162)
Subject: custom hire tree spade - how much?

Northeast Nebraska
Neighbor has some 10-12' blue spruce trees he is willing to sell. What should I have to pay to have someone come spade them out at his place, bring them 3/4 of a mile down the road, and then spade them in at my house?

Whats a fair price for the trees? $10/ft?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
3w farms
Posted 4/17/2012 09:01 (#2340598 - in reply to #2340162)
Subject: RE: custom hire tree spade - how much?

S.E. Iowa
Might want to do some reseach, I seen figures that say , the percent of big trees transplanted that survive is pretty low. A 12ft evergreen needs a recomended root ball of 92 inches U of Minnsota has a good online pamphlet on using tree spades
Rockman
Posted 4/17/2012 09:45 (#2340672 - in reply to #2340162)

Depends some on how large of spade will be required. We moved trees that were larger (approx 15-20 ft. tall) and up to 1 ft. diameter at the base. A 90" tree spade was the largest I could find. Our guy charged $100/tree to move them across the yard. He wouldn't guarantee them, but the trees are doing fair. We've had to water them regularly.
Sodbustr
Posted 4/17/2012 09:47 (#2340674 - in reply to #2340162)

Western Iowa
Aa good friend of mine has 44" spade and doing a job like you are talking would be $100 a tree. A 44" spade moves a 6ft tree, but works a lot better with a 4ft spruce tree, as it will take the transfer better.

You would need more like a 90" spade with a tree the size you are talking. I would expect that to run $150-200 per tree.

In urban areas those prices I quoted are low...........
ag4life
Posted 4/17/2012 10:11 (#2340709 - in reply to #2340162)
Subject: Re: custom hire tree spade - how much?

Southern Illinois
1' of ball per inch caliper of trunk. IE a trunk diameter of 4" needs a 4' root ball. the bigger trees have less chance of survival, be sure to stake them good or a wind will blow them down. I planted about 50 oaks, ash, sycamore about 8 years ago with plans of transplanting them when I built a house. They were about 3" caliper trees at the time and the guy didn't have to go over 100 yds to get the tree and plant it in the yard and he charged me $15 per tree and I had to help him. He had a skid steer with spade on front. He had me to stake them on 3 sides, fertilize and water them. He recomended stakes for atleast a year, more if I didn't get tired of mowing around them. I would say with spruce that will catch alot of wind I would definately stake them good. We had a drought that summer and I carried 20 gal of water to each tree about 3 times a week for June, July, August, and Sept, definate pain in the butt but I didn't loose any trees either. good luck.

Edited by ag4life 4/17/2012 10:11
Oliver1
Posted 4/17/2012 13:26 (#2340872 - in reply to #2340162)

Alton, Ia
Guy I used was $140 per tree plus $2/mile both ways 18 months ago. He had a 90" bucket. Better hurry, they probably should not be moved after May 1, the mover can say for sure. I did not stake mine and they were definitely hit by wind. That's why I moved them there. Watered them 3x a week till freeze-up, then 3 x again next spring for a month or so. Youngest daugher is a pro at moving the hose every 20 minutes.

He may come to your area. http://www.countrypinestreefarm.com/home.html

I have 25 more blue spruce that need to be moved for a bin. Put them on craigslist a couple times, LOTS of interest until people see the moving cost. Then they are willing to buy a $25 2' tree and wait 20 years. Whatever. If your neighbor wants $10/ft you may have to pay it, but I would be very surprised if he can get that from others.

Edited by Oliver1 4/17/2012 13:27
dewgubbe
Posted 4/17/2012 18:10 (#2341124 - in reply to #2340162)
Subject: Re: custom hire tree spade - how much?

Northeast Nebraska
Looks like I might buy some 2' trees.

If the neighbor gave them away I would pay for the spade. I doubt he will understand that his other trees will suffer if he doesnt get rid of every other one. There is about a 2' gap between them now. I'm not paying $100 for the tree and $100 to move it. I'm glad I asked on here before I called someone and fell over when they told me a price.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)