AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to mount spray bar to planter for application of pre-emerge herb?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Husk
Posted 1/27/2012 12:37 (#2189409)
Subject: How to mount spray bar to planter for application of pre-emerge herb?

Mankato, MN
Over the years I have had good success with applying pre-emerge herbicide to corn shortly after planting. To make the process more efficient overall and to increase my odds of catching an incorporating rain after planting, I would like to apply the pre-emerge with the planter. I have a JD 7000 with mounted liquid tanks which to this point I have used only for starter fertilizer. I would like to mount a spray bar of sorts behind the closing wheels which in itself is not too difficult, however I also need to protect the spray pattern from wind. I know by mounting the bar closer to the ground and increasing the number of spray nozzles, I could get good coverage and somewhat minimize the wind impact. In addition, I'm looking for ideas in constructing some type of wind barrier to mount on the spray bar to block the wind from interfering with the spray pattern. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark (EC,IN)
Posted 1/27/2012 12:48 (#2189433 - in reply to #2189409)
Subject: RE: How to mount spray bar to planter for application of pre-emerge herb?

Schlegel Farms, Hagerstown Indiana
It's kind of hard to see in the picture because they are folded down for storage, but Shoup sells these arms that mount on a 7000.

I use flood jet nozzles at 12 psi and have never had a wind issue (I've done it this way for years). I carry saddle tanks on the tractor.

(IMG_1138 (600 x 450).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1138 (600 x 450).jpg (92KB - 612 downloads)
kagen
Posted 1/27/2012 14:16 (#2189568 - in reply to #2189433)
Subject: RE: How to mount spray bar to planter for application of pre-emerge herb?

Panhandle of Ne.
Same as Mark said, except we had some shop built brackets on 1 planter and JD built brackets on the other 2. We also use flood tips and didn't have any trouble with drift unless wind was excessive, probably above 30 mph.
SandyHills
Posted 1/27/2012 15:41 (#2189676 - in reply to #2189568)

John deere has a pre kit.

(pre blowup.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments pre blowup.gif (18KB - 688 downloads)
Borgman05
Posted 1/27/2012 13:19 (#2189475 - in reply to #2189409)
Subject: Re: How to mount spray bar to planter for application of pre-emerge herb?

South Central, Iowa
Back when dad sprayed with his 7000 he built arms that mounted on each row, they had a pipe with a set screw so you could adjust them if you needed to them closer to the ground. Don't have a pic, but they were L shaped and had a piece of angle iron that was bolted to the unit then the set screw pipe was welded to that, with the L shaped piece moveable. I don't think he ever had much trouble with drift, he just got tired of the saddle tanks.

Not very descriptive, but hope it helps a little.
AR Plowboy
Posted 1/27/2012 17:29 (#2189821 - in reply to #2189409)

East Central Arkansas

This worked good for me last year. The planter had the factory spray that just sprayed the band behind the press wheel and I added the brackets for the extra tip to spray the middles. I used the Greenleaf Turbodrop 11002 but I ended up using a regular tip that was smaller on the outside middle to get my rate right where it was doulbled on each pass.

(100_5559 (Medium).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_5559 (Medium).jpg (102KB - 699 downloads)
mcofmc
Posted 1/27/2012 20:55 (#2190170 - in reply to #2189821)

Thumb of Michigan
We use a band sprayer kit(homemade)with floodjet tips on 30 " rows. It works fine on corn pre. We've done it for many years. We have double disc fertilizer openers and in sandy soil they can cause ridges to be formed. Then when rain comes, soil can wash off the ridges and take the herbicide with it,leaving untreated soil. We use a 37' roller to firm up those sand spots ahead of the planter to reduce this problem.
Flash515
Posted 1/27/2012 21:59 (#2190319 - in reply to #2189409)

NC IA
I have some of these left don't make them much any more after round up, it does keep the wind off. You can find pics @ accu-spray.com
Pfarms
Posted 2/1/2012 22:15 (#2200129 - in reply to #2189409)
Subject: Start with a boom...

EC MN - Hour North of 'The Cities'
Either wet or dry. We went with a wet boom.

Our first go of it was a nozzle on each row unit, but if you plug one or the mount comes loose it loses it's effectiveness in a hurry. We also were running the spray system with a ground drive pump.

Mounted 3 10' booms on our 12R30 planter. The supports consisted of a 3/8 plate that mounted under the 7x7 bar and were attached with U bolts. Then a 2x4 tube was welded under the plate and extended out the rear approx 6' from the back of the 7x7 bar. This 2x4 tube was cut and had a hinge in it to park the boom up for servicing and narrower transport.

The tube has a couple sets of bolts to mount the wet boom support to it which is a 2x2 tube. We set the height to be 20" above the ground from the nozzle tip. This is with a 20" spacing wet boom.

I'm also thinking of adding a wind screen, something along the lines of what I see on some Flexi-coil sprayers.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)