AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mini-Excavator Brush Rake
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mav
Posted 12/12/2011 23:31 (#2099924)
Subject: Mini-Excavator Brush Rake

Hey Guys,

It seems that there has been some interest in brush rakes recently, so I thought I’d post a couple pictures of one we built a couple of weeks ago. Obviously, I sized it to fit our mini-excavator, which is about a 10,000 lb machine. The teeth are fabricated out of AR400 1” steel plate and the tube is 1020 DOM steel with an O.D. of 5.5” and 3/8” thickness. The bottom piece is 1.5” 1018 cold rolled round. The steel and cutting cost a total of $925. Brother welded everything up with 7018 rod in about 6 hours.

I wanted to make the rake as light as possible, so I tried to design it so the worst case scenario stresses would stay under ½ of the materials yield strength. The result is a rake that weighs in at around 300 lbs.

We have only used it a couple of times now, but so far the rake has held up to everything the excavator has dished out. The most important attribute, however, is it has made handling and burning brush a rather pleasant experience. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and thanks for viewing.

Mav

(Mav13.jpg)

(Mav14.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Mav13.jpg (69KB - 648 downloads)
Attachments Mav14.jpg (81KB - 633 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
firefighter9208
Posted 12/13/2011 08:26 (#2100221 - in reply to #2099924)
Subject: Re: Mini-Excavator Brush Rake

Springville Alabama
Just curious how much an "off the shelf" rake would cost if you bought one??? With steel prices soo high how much did you save???

Chris
Old Pokey
Posted 12/13/2011 09:35 (#2100333 - in reply to #2099924)
Subject: RE: Mini-Excavator Brush Rake

Great job Mav. Quality materials and everything. I doubt you'll be hauling that back to the farm to do a bunch of time consuming straightening and rewelding. Nice size machine. It always amazes me what a machine that size can actually do. Aint hydraulics great.?!

Mav
Posted 12/13/2011 18:35 (#2101028 - in reply to #2099924)
Subject: RE: Mini-Excavator Brush Rake

I am not really for sure what a similar sized rake would cost. A while back I did some searching for brush rakes and it seems that only one website actually listed some prices. I seem to think the model for a Deere 50D was somewhere around $3,000 plus the cost of shipping. Also, I think the lighter model for a 35D was around $2,000 plus the cost of shipping. But really, the deciding factor for us to build it hinged on the concept that it would specifically be tailored to our machine.

Lastly, it is amazing what those little hoes will accomplish. They cannot always do what the bigger hoes can do, but with a little persistence they can sometimes yield similar results.

Mav

firefighter9208
Posted 12/14/2011 10:38 (#2102285 - in reply to #2101028)
Subject: Re: Mini-Excavator Brush Rake

Springville Alabama
Just curious. I know that I have looked into building attachments before and the cost of steel made it almost as cheap to just buy.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)