AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For all those that had CASE tranny problems....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Farms With CASE
Posted 9/5/2011 17:01 (#1947721)
Subject: For all those that had CASE tranny problems....

North Liberty and South Bend, Indiana
I haven't been a member all that long but every time someone mentions a Case tractor it seems like they are the black plague. Obviously I am biased as we all probably are. I would like to hear what was actually wrong with the tractor from all the people who had issues. Not wanting to hear it just quit but what were the symptoms or was the final determination. There is so little actually inside a Case powershift it is stupid. I just can't imagine haveing one in to a shop several times and them not fixing it. There are for sure some incompetent or corrupt shops around. On a side note it is ususally said they are Expensive to fix... what does it cost to fix a Deere powershift, an IH torque, or an Allis powershift?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TP from Central PA
Posted 9/5/2011 17:10 (#1947736 - in reply to #1947721)
Subject: RE: For all those that had CASE tranny problems....

Umm, grew up with IH and crab steer Cases............Loved the crabs, but they were expensive to repair with a shop doing the work, neighbor put a ton of money into one and it still wasn't right and didn't shift right after it was in. I personally think the lack of knowledgeable people who know them is the problem. With that said, their isn't much to doing a TA in an IH and they aren't priced very high.

I always wanted to buy one just to tear it down and have a look inside. A well known local knew them well and loved them and had no issues after he went inside, but sadly he passed on. Unfortunately I think that is what happened to alot of guys who "KNEW" those tractors.
JohnKS
Posted 9/5/2011 17:21 (#1947750 - in reply to #1947736)
Subject: Re: For all those that had CASE tranny problems....

Kansas
Another problem with the Case mechanics might be that after the CaseIH merger, more of the IH dealers got to keep selling than the Case stores and they might not have been very apt to take on any of the Case folk.
Offroadnt
Posted 9/5/2011 17:30 (#1947761 - in reply to #1947736)

Southern Alberta Canada
My opinion is their biggest problem was the valve body the aluminum body with steel spools and bolted to a steel housing seems to cause them to start binding over time. I think if Case had of built the valve body out of steel it would have eliminated allot of problems, or if they made the valve body separate from the transmission housing.
I think this led to allot of failures (and misdiagnosis) inside the transmissions. With sticking spools you wound up with two gears engaging at once, slippage, shock loading and other problems which if not taken care of immediately wound up leading to extensive damage within the transmission.
Also leaving the powershift in third or reverse when doing stationary work is a quick way to destroy the transmission.
Cattle Feeder
Posted 9/5/2011 21:20 (#1948129 - in reply to #1947761)

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JohnKS
Posted 9/5/2011 17:18 (#1947748 - in reply to #1947721)

Kansas
I'm the same about the Scania motor in the larger Case 4wd's. We've had 3 of them (2870, 4890, current 4894) and no problems with the motor in any of them, yet many scream they are junk. As to the tranny; the powershift in the 4890 went out while still in warranty but I believe it was the dreaded leaving in reverse while running PTO thing, so not so much the tractor's fault.
dutch
Posted 9/5/2011 18:36 (#1947822 - in reply to #1947748)

West Texas
I know it's in a different applications but those engines run millions of miles in trucks in Europe with any major problems. But then again, that's in trucks.

Back in north east Texas we had a V8 Cat engine on a river pumping station that ran many, many hrs without ever needing work. But it very rarely got run over 1800 RPMs and was hardly ever pulling a big load.
cocodrie
Posted 9/5/2011 19:15 (#1947883 - in reply to #1947748)

Mississippi Delta
We used to have a Scania power unit on an irrigation well. It was the first power unit my father and grandfather ever bought. It ran for 33 years before letting us down. There were several deere and cummins motors that didn't last half as long as the Scania did.
croptecsolutions
Posted 9/5/2011 18:56 (#1947848 - in reply to #1947721)

ok
I agree I run a 2290 and a 3594 simply because they are cheap. I have been into the 2290 a couple of times thru out the 7000 hours. The first time was front pinion shaft bearing. Was a fairly easy fix. The next time was the spider gear shaft in the rearend. Again an easy fix. The next time was the pto sealing rings wore out. The last time was the clutch. Spun the center out of it. While in there I went ahead and went thru the powershift just because I was there looking at it. I did find that the needle bearing was going out, so I got lucky and caught it before anything happened to it. These tractors are EASY to work on. Much easier than a jd in my opinion. This tractor has 7000 hours on it and I would guess that 85% of them are running a swather, baler, or shredder. if it's running it's almost a guarantee that the pto is on. My 3594 I bought it with 8600 hours on it with a blew up engine. I gave $6000.00 for it. I overhauled the engine did EVERYTHING that it needed. Including belts, hoses, heads worked, Radiator flushed, New turbo, New injectors. Virtually a new motor. I used EVERYTHING from CIH new not remaned, and Still have less than $10,000.00 in this tractor. Granted I did everything myself, I don't see why some people hate these tractors the way they do. I would LOVE to find some of these tractors that are supposedly setting in the weeds as people say with tranny problems. I would be willing to buy some of them.
TheDonkey
Posted 9/5/2011 19:12 (#1947876 - in reply to #1947721)

the sweetest thing about the older case 4wd's is you could have a betting pool on what would blow first-- the motor or trans.
TP from Central PA
Posted 9/5/2011 20:28 (#1947999 - in reply to #1947876)

Don't see much difference with JD.............Won't have trans issues, but the tinny frames and 619 will in the big ones. Give me a 504 powered Case anyday over one of those.
ayrporte
Posted 9/5/2011 19:18 (#1947888 - in reply to #1947721)

Eastern Ont
That 2290 is a bomb waiting to happen when the tranny goes it isnt a 3k job it is a 10-12k job
Neighbours 3394 crunched 1 st gear along with some other gears 15k to go in and repair everthing
4 months latter he was doing some plowing for us asked if we wanted to go or a round or two we did heard a crunch and that was it the tractor kept going
Got to the end of the filed didnt hear anything else but decided to stop for the night. the first repair didnt make that big of a noise
Floated the tractor from the filed to the local shop 1 mile
toar it apart AGAIN
3 teeth of the BRAND NEW CASE IH GEAR were gone. Find out that CASE didnt harden the gear you could drill a hole through it with a regular drill bit
No warranty from case
Neighbour still has the 3394 guessing 12-14 k hours on it
Has had injection pump problems with took 7 and I mean 7 reman pumps before they got a good one from case that worked
Overall has been a good tractor but at what price
Unless you know the history and I mean all the tranny history of an 88 series IH you couldnt give me one Seen way to many horror stories with that series of tractor. Nice looking tractor but can be extremley expensive to fix

milofarmer1
Posted 9/5/2011 19:34 (#1947916 - in reply to #1947721)

Texas/New Mexico Stateline
The only problems we have had:

Granddad's 1270 case just started slipping in the high range on the powershift, seems like quite a bit past 5000 hrs. I don't think there was any real "problem" other than it was just worn out and the clutch packs were shot.

The 2390 seemed to not be releasing the clutch packs fully and ended up getting overhauled at about 3500 hours. Don't really know what it was but suspected crud was in the spools or they were binding. (as another poster alluded to)

The 2390 was a much better tractor than the 1270 but really they were/are pretty good tractors. Personally I would rather pocket the difference in price from a JD and have Cases.
Larry in AB
Posted 9/5/2011 20:26 (#1947993 - in reply to #1947721)

Alberta, Canada
I have a 970 that we've had on the farm since 1974 and its been an excellent tractor, sure its had some work here and there mostly maintance type of stuff.

Then we got a 2090 in 1978 and still have it too this is what I've done to the trans over the years. Unfortunatley it was one of the first ones made and it needed that rear end update which the dealer did twice as they put the wrong part in!!! We got it home that winter and had to take it right back in a month later when the noticed what they did on the parts they used.

Then one day out of the blue it wouldn't move in when you put it in 2 or 3 on the power shift!!!. Expecting big issues so I split it myself and found that one of the oil tubes from the valve body to the oil distributor thing I guess you would call it popped out of place!!! I also found the front C1 clutch was worn out. The rest of the powershift was good so I just got a seal kit some discs for the C1 clutch and put it back together.

I also had the issue with a bearing going out in the trans case off the cluster gear shaft I think it was. I can't remember now but there was a change up bearing for it and the case guy at the dealer was suprised it was still in there. Makes me mad as I asked them when I had it apart for the powershift if there is anything that needs to be changed up etc. It wasn't a hard fix and could be done through the side inspection cover. I suspect I got filings in the oil from that and I think that made my spool vavles all sticky. So I pulled that off and took out the spools and ran valve lapping compound on them in the vavle body. That fixed that problem.

Then one winter I pulled the rear pto housing off to replace a stupid $1 "O" ring cause it was leaking oil out of where the pto shaft goes. Good thing I did as when I did that I noticed one of the bearings in the pto housing had some play. So I took it apart and sure enough the bearing was going bad!!

Then we've noticed over the years the powershift was not working correctly and getting worse (poor shifts) so I got to looking in my manual and it says to check the linkages first. Well it was all out of wack and it needed a new cable. I set it as per the book and its never shifted this good since new!!!

The last thing with the trans of late is the parking brake lock. Its not working again, about 6 years ago I found a little pin was broke so i supect my drivers were not careful and broke it again. Funny thing is we never had a problem for 25 years with that thing now it happend twice in the last 6, I'm thinking its driver related. I will say this tractor did have to work very hard doing tillage over the years and it also did pto work during haying season.

So there you have one case that has been fantastic and one that its a good thing I'm a mechanic lol! I will say so far I haven't had to spend any big $$ on the trans buying gears or planetary stuff its all been mostly my time and little things. I've now got a newer tractor to do the tillage duties that the old 2090 always did and now all it does is run a baler for the most part.

Edited by Larry in AB 9/6/2011 00:48
Pofarmer
Posted 9/5/2011 20:28 (#1948001 - in reply to #1947721)

This is going back a ways, but there was a plate in the powershift with pins in it that were too light. By the time they got to the 94 series they were pretty good. Neighbor had a pretty nice 2590, that the whole time he owned it, maybe four years, never made an oil change without being in the shop for something major. He could have bought a Magnum easy for what he ultimately put in that thing.
Farms With CASE
Posted 9/5/2011 21:13 (#1948109 - in reply to #1948001)

I think you are refering to the bolts that hold C2/C3 clutch packs together. Early ones were too small but could easily be drilled to a larger size to prevent shearing. Having been inside several and seeing the differences from the 70 series to a 94 series I'd for sure opt for a 94 as everything is bigger but the others can be retro fitted with the larger parts on some stuff. I would like to know what all went wrong that your neighbors 25 was in the shop so much? Curiousity before harvest has set in!
Pofarmer
Posted 9/5/2011 22:36 (#1948371 - in reply to #1948109)

Well, brakes went out and plugged screens, axle broke, dropped valves, head gasket, just off the top of my head.
Farms With CASE
Posted 9/6/2011 08:02 (#1948802 - in reply to #1948371)

Thankyou that is what I need, factual breakdowns.
farmdreamz
Posted 9/5/2011 20:31 (#1948007 - in reply to #1947721)

It's mainly irrational bias. The "green" guys are against heritage Case because of the association with IH, and the heritage red guys are against heritage Case because they just can't stand to see that four letter word on the side of a hood with their red paint on it.

A couple of pages back there is a post about JD 4650 and the general consensus of that post was that the transmission and head gasket failures were fairly common - AND - the conclusion was that it is a good tractor. Once someone with a JD / IH bias has problems with a Case - it is the biggest piece of junk ever. (of course - the other side is that - as noted above - there are a few remaining Case guys that have had transmission problems and they didn't consider it a big deal).

The true "Case" tractors ended 20 - 25 years ago - I think most rational people understand that a tractor of that age could have some pretty serious problems - regardless of what color it is painted.
chadh
Posted 9/5/2011 21:42 (#1948206 - in reply to #1948007)

NW Indiana
we have had case tractors since the 70's and still have some around the farm that get the **** jobs and have never had any major issues with any of them. still for us they r good cheap horse power. let everyone bash and run the price down. chadh
RDB Farms
Posted 9/5/2011 21:15 (#1948115 - in reply to #1947721)

ne neb
X2
Farms With CASE
Posted 9/5/2011 21:15 (#1948116 - in reply to #1947721)
Subject: So we have one

Appears as all the guys that had a bad one haven't posted yet. Looks like we have one that had a range gear issue. With all the bashing I expect to see a lot more with factual problems. Just would like to know what went wrong with those.
Cattle Feeder
Posted 9/5/2011 21:17 (#1948120 - in reply to #1947721)

The main problem was you had to use a little common sence when running one. I have NEVER had trouble with one. My help could ^&** one up in a short time. I really like them and I don't get people haveing troubles with them. My 4230 I have spent $15000 in the last 10 years my dad 4630 was $12000 in parts in the last 5 years and needs more. The case trans is not that expencive to fix.
TheDonkey
Posted 9/5/2011 21:19 (#1948128 - in reply to #1947721)

lol @ you people trying to re write history. there's a reason 4490's and 4690's sell for $4500 at auction sales. junk tractors made with junk components and backed by a junk company.
cocodrie
Posted 9/5/2011 22:37 (#1948377 - in reply to #1948128)

Mississippi Delta
If you want to talk about JUNK tractors, that older green and yellow one in your avatar, now that is JUNK. Lotta 4890's and 2870's around here outpulled and outlasted 8630/40/50's. Don't know that I ever saw a 86 pulling pans, but there were several case's on pans in this part of the country. This is coming from a guy that had two 8630's and never a case 4wd.
TP from Central PA
Posted 9/5/2011 23:28 (#1948520 - in reply to #1948377)

Oh man, you took the words right out of my mouth...............
cocodrie
Posted 9/5/2011 23:59 (#1948579 - in reply to #1948520)

Mississippi Delta
Those tractors were the biggest post we have ever had on the farm. Can't believe someone would make a comment about the junk cases when he had a pic of a 86 up there.
TP from Central PA
Posted 9/6/2011 00:15 (#1948612 - in reply to #1948579)

I am not a fan of the JD's either, they had alot of flaws IMO but like alot of green stuff, it wasn't better, just had a more forceful company backing it.
TheDonkey
Posted 9/6/2011 03:10 (#1948691 - in reply to #1948579)

cocodrie - 9/5/2011 23:59

Those tractors were the biggest post we have ever had on the farm. Can't believe someone would make a comment about the junk cases when he had a pic of a 86 up there.

weird. i didn't make a comment about an 8640 being a good tractor. butthurt much?

at least deere would give you a free upgraded engine if your 30-40 series engine blew up. what did case give you? more over priced under built parts with no warranty.
cocodrie
Posted 9/6/2011 11:16 (#1949026 - in reply to #1948691)

Mississippi Delta
Deere didnt replace our 30 motors. Notice that was plural.
packerfan
Posted 9/5/2011 22:44 (#1948401 - in reply to #1948128)

Western illinois
and we all know the green ones never have problems. that's
why the deere dealers don't need to have a shop or any mechanics
on their payroll. give me a break.
Duke_76
Posted 9/5/2011 21:41 (#1948203 - in reply to #1947721)

My 2 cents from an IH guy!:

Case made a really good tractor. However I’m going to add context to the topic. Like other tractors of that era, you had to know HOW to drive them! Let’s look at the IH and TA. The TA really gets maligned more than it should, but you had to know HOW to drive them. If you did, the TA lasted for many, many years. I would also say the same for Case and their transmission. Maintenance is assumed when I make this statement. Here are 2 points I want to add as well:

1) When these tractors were designed and sold in their day (60's and 70's), generally there were a lot less hired hands. A farmer would buy the tractor and would be the primary user, as well as the family. As the years rolled into the 80's and 90's, more hired hands showed up on the farm scene, again in general, because farming was changing. Throw into this mix these old horses. They now were a few years old, so plunking a hired hand on these older machines that had older transmission designs caused problems that were greatly amplified, in my opinion. Many TA’s in IH’s were blown when unknowing, inexperienced hired hands used them for road-speed brakes, let alone in hills!!! Case was no different in their design and use, as well as the other manufacturers.

2) From 1970 onwards, Case was a shrinking company, and by the time of the merger with IH in 1985, was a shadow of it’s former self. By the end, Case was only into tractors, shedding everything else (eg combines, haying equipment, etc) years earlier. By 1974 IH had made 5 million tractors, and was set to have crossed 6 million by 1987 if the merger hadn’t happened, from what I’ve read. My point is this - after the merger there were a heck of a lot of IH tractors around, far more than Case. So much so, that when it comes the TA, not only does CaseIH sell replacements, so do at least 2 other after market companies as I recall - simply a volume of old IH tractors still out there, and demand issue for parts. Case tractors - not the same. Few were made in comparison, so only CaseIH makes parts, so you are going to pay!!! The Case transmission designs are unique - there is not a lot of demand that would have had other after market manufacturers get into the game for Case transmission parts, as far fewer Case tractors were made. Let alone those still around who know how to work on them - again a numbers thing given how many Case tractors were made compared to IH.

Bottom-line is this: If you know where a Case tractor comes from, and you know that those who had it KNEW how to use it (and assuming maintenance), then don’t be that afraid. Let’s face it, any make of tractor that was abused or used improperly is going to need some “TLC”, so really it’s universal advice for any color tractor - especially if it’s 30 years old! Except with Case, point # 2 above comes into play.

I love my 986, and it has the original working TA since new in 1981. I bought it used, but knew where it came from and how it was used, so not an issue. If it were a Case, I’m sure it would be the same (and the nicest looking Case was the 70 series in the “Black Knight” demonstrator colors!!). However, if you’re looking at a Case that has an unknown past, you better have deep pockets if that transmission goes.
ahay68979
Posted 9/5/2011 21:54 (#1948241 - in reply to #1948203)

Saronville NE
Ive had 2 Cases a 2090 and a 2390, still have the 2390, lost the motor in the 2090 and shipped it down the road, the 2390 had the tranny slipping a yr ago, but a good case mechanic just tightend the torque limiter bolts that had somehow worked loose and havent had a promblem since, they tightened em without splitting the tractor, just went in thru the side somewhere. Everybody claims to have promblems but I sure dont know why but know I have had 2 JD 15sp PS take a dump and if you wanna spend some cash quick, that is a good way to do it.
dnkag
Posted 9/5/2011 22:12 (#1948289 - in reply to #1948241)

Lantry, SD
It amazes me how many people have driven one and didn't see the "stationary" part on the sticker where it says "do not have powershift lever in reverse when doing STATIONARY pto work" I have a JD4440 and I would sure trade it for a nice 2294...
ayrporte
Posted 9/5/2011 22:52 (#1948421 - in reply to #1948203)

Eastern Ont
I think that you are forgetting that CASE BOUGHT INTERNATIONAL
Jim in Sask
Posted 9/5/2011 23:17 (#1948491 - in reply to #1948421)

ayrporte - 9/5/2011 20:52

I think that you are forgetting that CASE BOUGHT INTERNATIONAL

Oh you're gonna get flack for that statement (don't ask me how I know). Some of the IH guys go apoplectic when they hear that and scream "Case didn't buy out IH, Tenneco did!"

Edited by Jim in Sask 9/5/2011 23:19
Corn Belt
Posted 9/6/2011 01:28 (#1948661 - in reply to #1948491)

Northwest OH

Well, Tenneco did!  Case was Tennecos' money losing whipping boy.  Top Tenneco brass seen the writing on the wall if they did not act quick.  They saw a opportunity to buy IH at good price.  Initially Tenneco was going to operate IH and Case as two sepperate companies just like CNH is doing.  But the 80s took its toll on every large ag company, so they "merged" both lines together.  Tenneco wanted the IH name, dealer network, and products to save their adopted money pit, which it altimately did.  It is well noted that Tennecos oil intersest, not Case were helping them keep afloat in the 80s.  Tenneco even tried to pawn off Case in the mid 70s to no takers.  They were stuck, and made a smart bussiness move in 84 to save their staked claim in Case. 

ayrporte
Posted 9/6/2011 06:20 (#1948714 - in reply to #1948661)

Eastern Ont
Case, Tenneco the fact still remains that IH was Bankrupt at the same time, sunk all their money into the 88 series, parts sucked , they couldnt make tranny housings, holes didnt line up their whole manufacturing process went for a crap, Harvesters that didnt have the cutterheads lined up becasue the bearing holes were out 1/4 inch, disk frames,loader frames that were welded crooked.
Pofarmer
Posted 9/6/2011 19:13 (#1949503 - in reply to #1948714)

I. Don't. Think. So.
ayrporte
Posted 9/6/2011 20:13 (#1949585 - in reply to #1949503)

Eastern Ont
Dealer ship had the first 5088 in the area 2 days after customer recieved it tranny puked
Took 3 housing from IH to rebuild. the housings holes didnt line up in the housing (couldnt make 2 holes in the same place line up

Had cultivators and disks that had to be cut and rewelded from the factory because they were not square (when you got a payloader and chain on one side trying to pry wings so you can get the bolts in Something aint right 7 out of 15 disks that year I can go on

IH was Banckrupt Case bailed there sorry a$$ out of it.
Corn Belt
Posted 9/6/2011 20:34 (#1949620 - in reply to #1949585)

Northwest OH

Sounds like you and your neighbors were buying their "new" IH equipment out of a chop shop.  Seems like alot of heresay to me.  And for the record IH never declared bankruptcy "technically" 

Edited by Corn Belt 9/6/2011 20:44
ayrporte
Posted 9/6/2011 20:38 (#1949630 - in reply to #1949620)

Eastern Ont
The "chopShop" was Eastern Canadas largest combine dealer when the axial flow came out
farmdreamz
Posted 9/6/2011 19:06 (#1949492 - in reply to #1948661)

That's strange - your story is a bit different than what I read off of the CaseIH website a few years back. The Case division of Tennaco (Ag + Construction) made money leading up to the time that Tennaco bought IH and merged it with Case. Appoximately 10 years ago - CaseIH had the individual histories of IH and Case on their website - the history for Case was quite detailed and interesting - and it showed the Sales numbers and Profit for JI Case every year. 1982, 1983, and 1984 profits were pretty thin, but still positive.
Corn Belt
Posted 9/6/2011 20:32 (#1949616 - in reply to #1949492)

Northwest OH

What would you expect CIH to say?  "Yeah, CASE was loosing money real bad so we bought IH, to save us".  Yeah, they would put that on their website alright.  In the early to mid eighties I worked for a Tenneco owned Construction only Case dealership, Cases' Construction equipment was good, real good, the construction division was keeping ag afloat.  I remember many early morning meetings about the goings on with tenneco, we were all worried about our jobs at that point, Cases future was uncertain, eventually the dealership I worked for dropped Case all together, owners just tried to sell parts and work on older machines for a while, now the building is bare, a car and truck service shop is what it is now I think. 

Edited by Corn Belt 9/6/2011 20:42
farmdreamz
Posted 9/6/2011 21:36 (#1949782 - in reply to #1949616)

I don't doubt that Case Construction was making up for weakness in the Ag sector. I was just really surprised that kind of information was organized the way it was...and even more surprised that JI Case posted a profit - the first time I saw it ...of course it isn't there anymore, and I was unable to find it in other internet searches. For the IH side of the history there was no financial information. It was interesting to note the steep losses posted from 1985 on through the mid nineties.....They made a big deal out of it when they finally had positive profit again - something like 1994 I think - just a few years before Tennaco exited stage left and it became Casecorp.
panotiller
Posted 9/5/2011 23:21 (#1948504 - in reply to #1947721)
Subject: RE: Looking for case weights

Lewisburg, PA
My tranny is holding up just fine 770 rear end behind 900 horsesLOL can't complain lots of time on the old 70 series and will say also it is how you drive them. I am looking for 90 or 94 series weights that have a case stamp in the casting for my toy.

(To West Virginia (Small).jpg)

(Snyder County Pull (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments To West Virginia (Small).jpg (41KB - 1165 downloads)
Attachments Snyder County Pull (Small).jpg (59KB - 1288 downloads)
Varment
Posted 9/6/2011 00:34 (#1948630 - in reply to #1948504)

Ontario's West Coast , Huron County
I have a 770 that i use as a sprayer tractor and love it . Not really that many of them to be seen in the country side .

Joe
Larry in AB
Posted 9/6/2011 01:00 (#1948645 - in reply to #1948630)
Subject: Re: For all those that had CASE 970 pic

Alberta, Canada
My old 1974 970 still is still dependable and gets put to "work" still too! A few years ago I put an engine kit in and a painted it.

Edited by Larry in AB 9/6/2011 01:06

(970.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 970.jpg (78KB - 1278 downloads)
panotiller
Posted 9/6/2011 06:27 (#1948716 - in reply to #1948645)
Subject: Re: Sharp!!

Lewisburg, PA
Put a turbo on that and you have a whole knew tractor. My dad has s 77 970 bought knew we put one on after 3000 hrs and its still going at 7000 plus.
RDH
Posted 9/6/2011 08:34 (#1948858 - in reply to #1947721)

For you that know/
What trans. options were there on the 100-150 H.P. tractors.
milofarmer1
Posted 9/6/2011 08:41 (#1948869 - in reply to #1948858)

RDH - 9/6/2011 07:34

For you that know/
What trans. options were there on the 100-150 H.P. tractors.

The xx70 series were 12 speed, 4 range X 3 speed power shifts.

The xx75 series were 8 speed, 2 range X 4 gear manual trans.

The xx 90 series were like the 70 series, 12 speed.

The xx94 were either 12 or 24 speed similar to the 70 and 90 series, but electrically controlled.

Edited by milofarmer1 9/6/2011 08:42
RDH
Posted 9/6/2011 11:14 (#1949020 - in reply to #1948869)

Thanks milofarmer.
I would think a straight gear one would be a good old horse.
milofarmer1
Posted 9/6/2011 11:21 (#1949030 - in reply to #1949020)

Yes. My dad has a 1175 that has had it's guts pulled out and is still dependable. One clutch at 7500 hrs. Just regular stuff like injectors a couple times. The ones I have been around (3 different 75s) did not shift very well. I don't know if they had a clutch brake or not, or if it was out of adjustment, but they are hard to get in gear if you don't have the right touch. Seems like they are about 115hp.
Farms With CASE
Posted 9/6/2011 12:56 (#1949102 - in reply to #1948869)

One correction there, not all the 94 series could have the 24 speed. Only the large framed 2wd's... 2394, 2594, 3394, 3594. Not sure about the 4wd's.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)