AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Just bought an AERWAY, Any Tips on it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

wyatt5864
Posted 5/31/2011 23:29 (#1801233)
Subject: Just bought an AERWAY, Any Tips on it?

I just bought a 25ft Aerway aerator.   I plan to mostly use it to loosen up no till ground as well as on pasture if it doesn't tear it up too bad. 

Does anybody have any tips on.....
How to set it for each application. 
Whats the best speed to run it, 
How many pounds of weight can I set on it. 
How short can I let the points get. 
Place that sells after market tines. 

Or anything else you have found to work well with yours.  Thanks. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
panotiller
Posted 5/31/2011 23:36 (#1801252 - in reply to #1801233)
Subject: RE: Just bought an AERWAY, Any Tips on it?

Lewisburg, PA
If you forgot about the rocks you use to have before notill it will bring them back up and you won't be happy . Mine went down the road years ago. Why do you need it to loosen up notill ground??
wyatt5864
Posted 6/1/2011 00:01 (#1801319 - in reply to #1801233)
Subject: Re: Just bought an AERWAY, Any Tips on it?

No rocks here. It was ground that went into no till after having cattle on it with not enough deep tillage between that. The ground all had very very severe bind weed pressure. I started no tilling to control it. I will not work the ground again and loose all that I have gained on the bind weed. All I will do is turn up more seeds.

I have a min till ripper now to rip deep and not disturb too much soil structure.

Most of this ground you cant stick a rod in more than an inch. I did some tillage in spots last summer and the wheat looks so much better where I did. Its proof I have compaction. Bad.

If I could rip on 30 inchs and then aerate over that, I could loosen it up a lot more than it is now and maybe gets some roots to move around.

Also, It was stupidly cheap and if it doesn't work, I can park it and not be out much.
weaverism
Posted 6/1/2011 07:07 (#1801479 - in reply to #1801233)

Hershey, PA
Ditto on the rocks!!! Used one a couple of years ago. Had to till the ground to get rid of the rocks. We renamed it the ROCK FLUFFER. We set it to the most aggressive position and it left ridges in a formerly level field. Never want to see one again.
GangGreen
Posted 6/1/2011 07:36 (#1801508 - in reply to #1801233)

Eastern Iowa
Let me know how it works on your pasture, I'd be interested in knowing how much actual added forage growth aeration with one of these allows. You read lots of stuff, typically from manufacturers, and I don't know just how much of it you can take to the bank.

But I do know I need to do something with my pastures. They are hard enough that adding fertilizer just changes the color of the bare spots, doesn't add many tons of feed.

Edited by GangGreen 6/1/2011 07:41
tater1086
Posted 6/1/2011 21:35 (#1802144 - in reply to #1801233)

Snipesville, GA
Don't have any side by side comparisons but we cut hay four to five time a year and that equals a lot of trips accross a field. I feel like it lets the water, fertilize, and lime get into the soil much easier and lets the root zone get loosened up also.
wyatt5864
Posted 6/2/2011 13:22 (#1803019 - in reply to #1801233)

How deep do you think it needs to go to do any good? Is it hard to get in the ground at times?
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)