AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

air carts??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dawdge
Posted 5/31/2011 23:00 (#1801148)
Subject: air carts??

NE colorado. & south central SD
what are the benefits of a tow behind over a tow between cart??

what are the drawbacks??

is it worthwhile converting a TBT to a TBH??

currently running a TBT deere 1860/1900

Top of the page Bottom of the page
versatileman
Posted 5/31/2011 23:40 (#1801256 - in reply to #1801148)
Subject: Re: air carts??

Roseau, MN
I had a TBT and now have a TBH and I perfer the TBH better. It's easier to see the whole seeding tool to have a piece of mind when seeding and it's easier to fill the cart when it's behind the seeder. The benefits to a tbt is you load the tractor down with drawbar weight, other than that their isn't any other benefit in my eyes.
Steiger Man
Posted 5/31/2011 23:44 (#1801266 - in reply to #1801256)

Sunburst Montana

TBH tanks drag the seeding tool down hill on a slope which is why we have a TBT and why others have them too. 

DidSomeoneSayDonuts
Posted 6/1/2011 00:20 (#1801357 - in reply to #1801266)

waaaay east central Colorado
What Steiger Man said. I got a TBH for visibility and maneuverability reasons without thought to hillsides. Definitely does some serious dragging of your tool offline if you have to deal with slopes.
versatileman
Posted 6/1/2011 08:04 (#1801542 - in reply to #1801357)

Roseau, MN
I never thought about side hill scew but I would sure think a big cart would pull hard downhill. I forget what it's like to work in hills since where I farm it is table top flat...... good point!
blue collar
Posted 5/31/2011 23:46 (#1801275 - in reply to #1801148)
Subject: RE: air carts??

Manitoba
we have had both also and prefer the tow behind. it is much easier trimming up on headlands around power poles and things like that. the drills response time to any change in direction from the tractor are much quicker, i've hit a pole before and snapped it off, granted I was half (almost entirely) asleep but just the same it is trickier. it is also easier to tuck into the tight corners with tow behind. you will notice compaction in the tire tracks with a tow behind more than TBT but if its that muddy out there that the cart tracks won't grow you probably shouldnt be out ther seeding anyways. you can also get much larger carts in the tow behind version, except for deere, I believe they hav all sizes in either configuration. bourgault goes to 450 bu for sure in tbt, maybe even 550, but you can get a 750 tbh and a 950 by next year. depending on your size of drill it doesn't take a very big tow between cart before you can only see the end few feet of the drill. there is a lot of parts back there, and a lot of dollars in seed/fert. going in the ground that you can't see. just my two cents.
dawdge
Posted 6/1/2011 00:46 (#1801389 - in reply to #1801148)

NE colorado. & south central SD
thanks for all the input.... i have a old morris laying around thats a tbh but its only 180bu and the auger is a pia to use and fill with id like too find a good tbh cart and sell/trade the deere cart. is this a doable or is it just a better idea to replace whole unit. i have seen and heard lots about the bourgault carts and would like to try one but seems like im kinda far south of the boarder too find one.
its very flat on the area i farm currently so the side hill draft is not a big concern for my location. and i really hate not being able to see the tool portion of the machine. would a tbh pull harder than a tbt with the same size tractor...... have the 270tbt deere to how a 350tbh would pull with the same size drill.
TheDonkey
Posted 6/1/2011 07:57 (#1801529 - in reply to #1801389)

dawdge - 6/1/2011 00:46

thanks for all the input.... i have a old morris laying around thats a tbh but its only 180bu and the auger is a pia to use and fill with id like too find a good tbh cart and sell/trade the deere cart. is this a doable or is it just a better idea to replace whole unit. i have seen and heard lots about the bourgault carts and would like to try one but seems like im kinda far south of the boarder too find one.
its very flat on the area i farm currently so the side hill draft is not a big concern for my location. and i really hate not being able to see the tool portion of the machine. would a tbh pull harder than a tbt with the same size tractor...... have the 270tbt deere to how a 350tbh would pull with the same size drill.

having gone from a deere cart to a 6000 series bourgault, deere can keep their crappy cart.
Posted 6/1/2011 12:57 (#1801768 - in reply to #1801529)

TheDonkey - 6/1/2011 07:57

having gone from a deere cart to a 6000 series bourgault, deere can keep their crappy cart.

The Deere kool aid pitcher must be empty.
TheDonkey
Posted 6/1/2011 23:07 (#1802331 - in reply to #1801768)

9120 - 6/1/2011 12:57

TheDonkey - 6/1/2011 07:57

The Deere kool aid pitcher must be empty.

whatever you say little buddy.
mennoboy
Posted 6/2/2011 00:18 (#1802500 - in reply to #1801529)

Rivers, MB
What don't you like about the JD cart. I suspect we will be trading drills this winter and am really leaning to a JD drill w/ cart. What don't you like about the JD and what is better on the Bourgault.
TheDonkey
Posted 6/2/2011 07:38 (#1802688 - in reply to #1802500)

mennoboy - 6/2/2011 00:18

What don't you like about the JD cart. I suspect we will be trading drills this winter and am really leaning to a JD drill w/ cart. What don't you like about the JD and what is better on the Bourgault.

the deere constantly had metering issues. intermittent air leaks, inconsistant seeding. the stairway is awkward. the auger is very ill handling. hard to fill.

the bourgault has a more "simplistic" metering system, but it almost never acts up. the auger is way better and the cart is way nicer to fill. the bag lift is nice. way less product hoses to wear out or plug. plus bourgault stands behind their product like deere never will.
Rosco
Posted 6/1/2011 01:15 (#1801407 - in reply to #1801148)

Galahad, Alberta
Another down side to a tbt cart is that if you get stuck with a full cart, you can't unhook the cart. The only way out if you realy bury the seeding tool is to split the drill from the tank, and pull the stuck tractor and tank out together. With a tbh, just pull the pin, get the tractor out, and hook on again with a long cable and pull from dry ground. With no-till the wet spots can be tough to see at night. I prefer a tbh for this reason. Guys "here" with tracked tractors (Deere, Cat) seem to prefer tbt for the weight transfer.
Rosco
Ham
Posted 6/1/2011 01:24 (#1801413 - in reply to #1801148)
Subject: One other thing..

Blvd d'Espair Bowhill, Sth Aust

I think EVERY brand of cart sold around here as a TBH, has had a failure of the cart front wheels, which then go under the cart, doing really major damage to the plumbing.
Doesnt happen on a TBT, because ther are no front wheels for the cart.

Most of the other upsides/downsides to either are going to depend entirely on your own situation.
In the big picture it likely wont make very much difference, but having said that I use TBT and dont intend to go away from that.

mike treweeke
Posted 6/1/2011 03:58 (#1801448 - in reply to #1801148)

Nth New South Wales Australia
Front cart wheels only fail when they have not been maintained "here". I replace front wheel bearings every 2nd season and have not had a failure. This is on a 7 series Morris (1998 mod) that has done 15,000 acres a year since new with a lot of roading as we work up to 100km from home base. Not having a dig at you personally Ham but I have seen said "failures "up this way too and the common theme was lack of any maintainence, and your right when it happens it is not good, makes a big mess.

Mike.
Ham
Posted 6/1/2011 07:32 (#1801499 - in reply to #1801448)

Blvd d'Espair Bowhill, Sth Aust

Mike...  You must  think Im easily offended.  : )

No offence taken...  Can't imagine why I would  take offence  because I simply  reported  what I had observed.. 
I have no personal experience of the issue, or TBH in general

I can only assume  you are correct in your  explanation of the reasons...but the  fact remains.. they go wrong, and its very ugly when they do..

mennoboy
Posted 6/2/2011 00:22 (#1802508 - in reply to #1801448)

Rivers, MB
How many times have you replaced the metering wheels and the metering boxes with those many acres/year for that many years. I'm in awe! We have a '97 7240 tank since new and its starting to show its age. And that's with about 3-4000 ac/year.
mike treweeke
Posted 6/2/2011 02:57 (#1802594 - in reply to #1802508)

Nth New South Wales Australia

We are on our 3rd set of meter wheels, not because they were totally worn out but I replace the bearings on each end of the meters every few years and thought new wheels were easy since it was all apart.
Apart from replacing chains every few years and bearings on all the drives (easy to replace) it has been a really good reliable cart.
Still on original electric clutch and fan hyd motor has never been touched.
I reckon so long as rust is kept out of the bottom of the bins everything else is rebuildable.

(Early 2011 Olympus 029 [1024x768].jpg)

(Dirran sports&Farming June 09 067 [640x480].JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Early 2011 Olympus 029 [1024x768].jpg (48KB - 136 downloads)
Attachments Dirran sports&Farming June 09 067 [640x480].JPG (76KB - 138 downloads)
glensts
Posted 6/1/2011 08:15 (#1801558 - in reply to #1801148)

One reason I like the TBT cart is I can manouver to the semi, fill up with seed and fertilizer and back out. Don''t have to bring the semi to the unit for a fill each time. Sometimes I get the semi in the field and it is soft and can't be moved until it is emptied. Now in some soft spots the sinking of the cart tire makes the front castors of the drill sink worse. Duals on the cart would fix my problem
MeanGreen
Posted 6/1/2011 14:53 (#1801852 - in reply to #1801148)

S.E. Michigan
I run a TBT JD 1900/1860 and like it, but i'm on smaller acreages. I'll admit seeding winter wheat with a bigger cart would be nice. I do like the way it tows and I can back the drill into corners if necessary. I always wondered the benefits of the TBH other than bigger tank. We bring the cart to the supply wagon, not the other way around. I don't mind pulling the seeder behind, i'd rather not drive over the seed just planted.... mostly beans.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)