AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Greenstar Rate Controller Pressure Sensor
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Wade CMN
Posted 4/26/2011 18:48 (#1746345)
Subject: Greenstar Rate Controller Pressure Sensor

Willmar Minnesota
I was working on some changes to my liquid starter fertilizer system today and going to add a pressure sensor to the system and found that the part # AA39845 sensor was $355.00 through parts, but my parts man at the dealership found that sensor is part of a bundle # BA26721 for $211.00. Only drawback to this is it will take a little longer to get here but for a $144.00 savings I can wait, Too WET here anyway. I thought I would pass this info on because I recall some posts about this pressure sensor here lately but couldn't find the specific posts. Hope this can be usefull to somebody.

Wade CMN
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dewgubbe
Posted 4/26/2011 22:07 (#1746933 - in reply to #1746345)
Subject: Re: Greenstar Rate Controller Pressure Sensor

Northeast Nebraska
Thanks wade, too bad I already bought mine....lol

I'm not sure what the Raven sensor cost, might want to look into that too. Stellar Support said the greenstar rate controller can use either a 5 or 12 volt sensor.
tedbear
Posted 4/27/2011 07:27 (#1747570 - in reply to #1746933)
Subject: Re: Greenstar Rate Controller Pressure Sensor

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I believe the Raven pressure sensor is priced somewhere in between the prices listed above.

We used to install mechanical pressure gauges in our fertilizer systems but discontinued the practice. Since the viscosity of fertilizer changes fairly significantly based on temperature, the readings were not very meaningful and tended to confuse our customers. Given the cost of the Pressure sensor I wouldn't bother with it.

Our systems utilize a flow based flowmeter control system like a sprayer or a positive displacement ground driven pump.

Edited by tedbear 4/27/2011 07:31
Mobile6
Posted 4/27/2011 16:50 (#1748537 - in reply to #1746345)
Subject: RE: Greenstar Rate Controller Pressure Sensor

Central Illinois
Pressure gauge still a good idea as reference point. Will also help identify plugged screens and other problems. Just experience on my system??? That being said--Tedbear has forgotten more than I know about this stuff. I certainly respect his knowledge.

Edited by Mobile6 4/27/2011 16:52
tedbear
Posted 4/28/2011 06:11 (#1749766 - in reply to #1748537)
Subject: RE: Greenstar Rate Controller Pressure Sensor

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Regarding the plugged screen situation: We always recommend using a visual flow indicator (Old Redball - now Wilger) for each row. These are the vertical column devices that give a visual flow indication of the flow to each row.

The operator can tell at a glance if all the rows are getting the same amount of product. If one ball is floating lower than the rest there is some type of problem. With many tractors now using Autosteering, the operator can turn around and observe these as well as other aspects of the planting process.

On my own planter several years ago on the first day of the planting season, I noticed that I had a row higher than the rest. I couldn't figure this out and concentrated my efforts on that row. I couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Turns out I got some "bad" fertilizer that had been allowed to freeze over winter. The problem wasn't with the row that was high but with the other eleven rows that were partially blocked by crystals at the row orfices.

After returning the fertiizer and swapping it for some good stuff, I wondered how I was going to get my planter system cleaned out (ground driven pump, Wilgers etc.) so that I wouldn't be plaqued by the bad fertilizer that was still in the system. I came upon the idea of teeing in a garden hose fitting and a shutoff valve in the line leading out of by fertilizer tanks to the pump and the rest of the system. I hooked up the garden hose and ran pure water through the system for quite a while to flush the system.

This actually turned out to be a good idea anyway. Now I can use the garden hose for preseason to check for leaks etc. prior to putting real fertilizer into the system. This also allows me to flush the system anytime I would want to.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)