AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

steel arch building
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Brassring
Posted 5/15/2007 06:25 (#150143)
Subject: steel arch building

St.Clair Co. IL.
We have been looking into buying a arch type bolt together metal building think the brand is Farm steel out of Canada, not sure about the name dont have the paper in front of me. My question is they said to put a "floating" foundation under it a 18"x24" footing, now I'm not too keen on this idea, I thought you should have a footing under the frost line with a short wall, what have you guys that have these buildings done and what would you have done differently. I do remember some guys saying to not put it in the channel like the say but instead bolt it onto the top of the concrete.
it's a 60x120 building and I am in the southwest part of IL.
Thanks for any help Bob
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tom Russell
Posted 5/15/2007 06:55 (#150147 - in reply to #150143)
Subject: Re: steel arch building

McLeod County Minnesota
I have a wooden arch type building that was here when I bought the place. Heavy snow loads the past few years have caused the bottom of one wall to push the foundation outward 6-8 inches. The result is the building has quite a bit of sag at the peak. My options are to have someone with heavy equipment demolish the building and build a new one in its place or repair what I have. Environmental laws make demolition more expensive than repairing but cheaper than building new. Zoning and property tax laws make repairing the better option. This year we will be digging a trench on both sides of the foundation and pushing it back where it was when the previous owner built the building. Then we will fill the trench on the outside with cement to hold the foundation in place.

My reason for passing along my experience is to give you some idea of what can happen if your foundation isn’t strong enough to keep the building from moving. According to the contractor who will do the job for me, arch roof buildings keep him busy and provide him with a good living. He does so many that he has a trailer full of specialized tools and brackets. Good luck with your building project.
Ben
Posted 5/15/2007 07:07 (#150148 - in reply to #150143)
Subject: RE: steel arch building

North Mo.
Bob we were going to build a hay shed this year it was arround 50 by 100 q style. We found a all steel web truss building was about the same price especially when figuring in foundation. Neighbor has a q style in the concrete and it is rusting out, so go with the plate on top would be my advise. We went with a grain bin instead. ben
Russell
Posted 5/15/2007 08:47 (#150181 - in reply to #150143)
Subject: I have had one for many years and ....

Springfield, MN
I have one that has the floating foundation. I have a cement floor. When I poured the foundation (floating) we put in rods. When the floor was poured we tied the whole thing together so it cannot go anywhere. I have a crack in the cement floor only in one corner where we may not have gotten things packed well enough. The crack is maybe 2' long. No big deal here.

As far as rust in the cement. I don't remember what it was but the cement was made different when it went around steel than normal cement. This was to prevent rust. I see no problem here either.

Snow loads. I have a deep rib type of Quonset and most of the time the snow melts off quickly. Only once I was advised to help it along. It was a time when lots of other sheds went down when we had over 2' of snow that crusted with ice. A good Quonset should handle around 9' of grain depth without anything special being done to the shed.

I use mine for machinery storage. I park augers and low equipment near the walls and regular machinery (combine and tractors more to the center. I have no wasted space in my shed.

For me it has been good and I wouldn't hesitate to build another. I put in a bi-fold door which is much better than a sliding door. My shed is on the small side at 42' X 60'. The door is 30' X 13'.
Tim in WI
Posted 5/15/2007 09:24 (#150194 - in reply to #150143)
Subject: What we did

Embarrass WI

I built a steel arch building 10-12 years ago, 51 wide I think. I just lined up a row of the "Texas blocks" on each side and, had steel U-channels bent up and anchored down to them, set the edges of the building in them and bolted together. So far, the blocks haven't moved, and the building has withstood some heavy snows.

My goal was to have a truly temporary building. When I decide to hang 'er up, someone can unbolt the building, pick up the blocks and move(and re-use) the whole works. Should be nothing left behind but some gravel.

Ours is American Steel Span brand, if memory serves. I think all the Quonset style buildings are about the same, but there are real differences in gauge of steel used and the coating. We have 2, the other is a Miracle Span, the Miracle is regular galvanized which has dulled and the American has remained brighter. I have seen them listed on Ebay, best deal I found when I was shopping was pricing at the farm shows. You have to be hard-nosed with them, it's about like buying a used car. Offer them 30% less than they are asking, chances are they'll come down more than you have to go up.

I can try to get pix for you, if you are interested.

drfeelgood
Posted 5/15/2007 10:55 (#150222 - in reply to #150194)
Subject: Re: steel arch building

Deckerville MI
We built a Miralce Span in the mid 1970's, 40 X 100, put it on a floating foundation with no problems. I wish we would have put it on a 4' wall as we have nicked it a number of times with too tall equipment. My biggest complaint was the sliding doors, they were too heavy for the support system they had. As far as snow load, I've seen the neighborhood kids ride their snowmobiles over it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)