AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Used Weigh Wagons??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

beefmaster
Posted 2/14/2011 21:49 (#1614552)
Subject: Used Weigh Wagons??

SW Minnesota
Where would a guy look for a used weigh wagon from a seed dealer/etc? I remember seeing one for sale a few years back for like $2000 or so, but don't know where to start looking for one now. Or would I be better off by putting a scale on my grain cart. I think I could do that for about $4500. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
repairman
Posted 2/14/2011 22:33 (#1614671 - in reply to #1614552)
Subject: RE: Used Weigh Wagons??

South Dakota

A fair weigh wagon will cost you $3000, so if you are not a seed dealer doing it for others and just doing your own I think that the scale would be a better deal as you could use it all harvest. I had one and sold it as I did not have the time to put in to doing the weighs and get our own harvest done, and I sell a seed. I just call up the DSM and say this guy wants to do some weighs. That is there job at least that is what my DSM says.

redfox
Posted 2/15/2011 01:06 (#1614921 - in reply to #1614552)
Subject: Re: Used Weigh Wagons??

nc ia
Once you have the scales on your cart you will be using it a lot. A weigh wagon is too small to even hold a combine hopper full. Their slow to unload. With the cart you know how much your putting on trucks to get max load hauled.
ag4life
Posted 2/15/2011 06:37 (#1614996 - in reply to #1614552)

Southern Illinois
if you have the bucks to spend, get a seed tender with scales and belt conveyor that you can use fall and spring. I have a parker 1550 weigh wagon and it is ok for short row plots but when the combine has to fill you up and wait 5 mins for enough to get off to empty the rest of the hopper it is hard to get a weigh the next year. I am also about a grand deep in replacing the lower auger since I had to torch it off the hydraulic motor, it was only supposed to have about 5000 bu through it when i got it and I put about 2000 through it last fall and the flighting laid over on bottom. I was thinking it would last a little longer? I paid $4000 for it from Pioneer as a sales rep. I would like to tend seed beans in it but the auger is pretty rough on crops.
beefmaster
Posted 2/15/2011 07:25 (#1615039 - in reply to #1614996)

SW Minnesota
Thanks for the advice....I had thought about using it for a seed tender in the spring also, so think I will go back to having the sales reps do my calibrating as I don't have the money or time to do it myself!! Just one of those "brain farts" that when you think it through isn't very practical.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)