AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cat 3176 engine coolant leak
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jdg
Posted 1/16/2011 20:26 (#1553314)
Subject: Cat 3176 engine coolant leak

Cen IL
I have a 3176 engine in a KW that has a small coolant leak. It appears that it is leaking from the bottom of a long, narrow cover on the rt. side of the engine. This cover has the block heater threaded into it. Part # for this cover is 9Y-4065. How much of a job am I looking at? Looks like I have to remove oil filter base ( a 2 filter base ) and a oil cooler. Also , looks like turbo oil return line must be removed. There are I think 26 8mm bolts holding this cover on. Are they hard to remove ? Are they threaded into iron or alum. ? Is there a service manual available for a reasonable cost ( besides CAT ) ? thanks, jeff
Top of the page Bottom of the page
CATGUY
Posted 1/16/2011 21:06 (#1553421 - in reply to #1553314)
Subject: RE: Cat 3176 engine coolant leak

Iowa

Just nuts and bolts, don't need a service manual.

Yes, the bolts may be seized into that aluminum housing, that will probably be your worst problem of the whole deal, althought the removal of the rear, oil cooler o-ring/sleeve, going into that 9Y4065 cover, will probably make you cuss a little, too.

It's been a long time since I have done one of these. They aren't a common failure, at all. I do remember having a couple of bolts that were stubborn, or stripped out. I also remember that don't be surprized when you remove that plate/cover and it looks warped/curved lenghtways. Just be careful, and gentle cleaning the gasket; it is pretty thin, long piece of aluminum. Try not to over-sand/buff it, when cleaning either aluminum surfaces. You want to end up with two nice "flat" surfaces for the new gasket to be crushed inbetween.(even though that 9Y4065 cover will have a curve to it , until you bolt it back up.)

Now, there is always the possibility of pitting on the inside, once you remove it and will need to determine IF you must purchase a new one. (Depends on how well the coolant as been taken care of and the quality or lack of quality of the water being used in the cooling system, over the life of the engine.)

I will add a couple pictures of parts, that may or may not be your style of oil cooler, but you can kinda see the breakdown of things with these photos.

(3176 _7LG_serial_number_prefix__9Y4065 cover.jpg)

(3176 _7LG_serial_number_prefix__oil_cooler.bmp)

(3176 _7LG_serial_number_prefix__water_lines.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 3176 _7LG_serial_number_prefix__9Y4065 cover.jpg (58KB - 548 downloads)
Attachments 3176 _7LG_serial_number_prefix__oil_cooler.bmp (88KB - 576 downloads)
Attachments 3176 _7LG_serial_number_prefix__water_lines.jpg (37KB - 427 downloads)
jdg
Posted 1/16/2011 22:30 (#1553580 - in reply to #1553314)
Subject: RE: Cat 3176 engine coolant leak

Cen IL
Thanks very much, CATGUY ! I was afraid that those steel bolts went into that aluminum spacer. That truck has 543,000 on it and outside of a new waterpump, it's never had a wrench taken to it. Coolant has also been serviced on a regular basis as well. Appreciate your help. jeff
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)