AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pull type scraper
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tornado2
Posted 11/12/2010 10:01 (#1432431)
Subject: Pull type scraper

Kansas
Been looking at pull type scrapers lately to fix terraces and clean out waterways myself. I'd prefer used as it will only be used on occasion. Are there any brands to stay away from? What are the weak points? What should I check for on used scrapers? Is hydraulic eject worth the extra cost? I have been told with out eject, sticky dirt will not come out very well. What is everyone else's opinion. I am looking for one in the 8 yard range. TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sbeet
Posted 11/12/2010 11:22 (#1432556 - in reply to #1432431)
Subject: Re: Pull type scraper

10x1000 places to fish
In my opinion a push out is the only way to go. Much less of a hassle in damp conditions and you can controll the speed that the dirt comes out better so you can spread it out nicely. That saves a ton of time when trying to level out the piles. My two favorite brands are the Toreq and the Ashland. They are both top of the line scrapers IMO.
The new guy
Posted 11/12/2010 13:20 (#1432660 - in reply to #1432556)

I have also been thinking about getting a scraper to clean drainage ditches. What are the pros and cons of a direct mount vs. a dolly style?
lancef53
Posted 11/12/2010 13:32 (#1432667 - in reply to #1432431)

Portland, ND
I have one small direct mount and a larger pull type, and they both have advantages. The direct mount is nice for backing into ditches, waterways, etc. It is more of a hassle to hook up, that usually means that you don't always hook up to it when you have a couple of hours of work to do. Sometimes the weather window closes before you get it hooked up. The direct mount is also a little more prone to tip. The pull type is easy to hook up and is more stable.

If I had only one, I would go pull type. The direct mount is better in poor conditions, but it doesn't always get hooked up when it should.
seedcleaner
Posted 11/12/2010 13:33 (#1432669 - in reply to #1432431)

Mid-Missouri
I like the looks of Ashland over Toreq, but I recommend an 8 yard Holcomb with dolly wheel for what you describe. They are plentiful, atleast here in mid-mo. What tractor will you use? Goodluck.
Bookmark
Posted 11/12/2010 13:54 (#1432690 - in reply to #1432431)
Subject: RE: Pull type scraper

Princeton, In
I have owned both, and you want the hyd. eject. We have an old Cat cable scraper that is converted to hydraulic. It is over built since it was designed for crawler tractors, but I don't think you will find one below about 12 yrd. I agree with the other posters in that for what you are doing, the dolly wheels are a better fit than direct mounting.
I have ran both the Ashland and the Holcomb, and I preferred the Ashland, although it was a newer scraper. Another brand you might look at is Garfield. They lower the entire scraper to load, so the floor of the "box" is almost flat, looks like it might load easier. I have never ran the Garfield, just always thought the idea was sound. Good luck.....Mark
JAR
Posted 11/12/2010 14:07 (#1432705 - in reply to #1432660)

Madision County, IL
We currently run a Leon 1000 with dolly and it works well for us. We don't have any experience with direct connect.

I believe the dolly style and direct mount should both work well.

In my opinion, direct mount would work better for the following reasons:
Weight transfered to tractor instead of dolly wheels
The increased distance from blade to tractor axle will make the direct mount better at leveling

Good luck!!!!

Jay

wishbone7803
Posted 11/12/2010 14:27 (#1432729 - in reply to #1432431)

Almond Wisconsin
I have a 6yd Ashland direct mount dump style. Work mostly with light soil and it works well. Once you have your own scraper you will wonder how you got by without one.
blakezr2
Posted 11/12/2010 16:03 (#1432794 - in reply to #1432660)

WC Iowa
we just got our first direct mount scraper this year (ashland I-155) and it is awesome. We have been converting older cat 70 cable scrapers into hyd for years and still have 3 of them. The pros to the dolly style is no need to change drawbars on the tractor and its probably easier on the tractor since there is no weight on it so it will just spin. The pros of the mounted style is it pulls soooooooo smooth. it dosent have that jumpiness and push the tractor like the dolly machines do. The weight on the tracor is nice also since it gives you better traction. Overall I would say the only down side to a mounted machine is the whole drawbar issue. we have been tossing around the idea of mounting it on the 3point so it could be quick to hook on and yet a so called mounted machine, maybe a winter project.

(100_3369.jpg)

(104_0681.jpg)

(103_0897.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_3369.jpg (55KB - 1362 downloads)
Attachments 104_0681.jpg (55KB - 1436 downloads)
Attachments 103_0897.jpg (49KB - 1364 downloads)
stevo4455
Posted 11/12/2010 17:40 (#1432887 - in reply to #1432729)

Northeast Kansas
I have owned a direct mount Garfield 800 and now own an Ashland I-950 and would never buy another Garfield after running the Ashland. The Garfield's apron lip doesn't open wide enough to eject wet slabby clay and when stripping sod if you get a heaping load when you go to dump it will shear it over the back of the ejector and when you go back with the ejector it will pack behind and you have to stop and spade it out. I have not loaded anything in the Ashland that it wouldn't push out. I have run several different brands cable and hydralic scrapers and Ashland in my opinion rates up at the top.
Tom N
Posted 11/12/2010 18:01 (#1432910 - in reply to #1432794)

Missouri river bottom south of Sioux City, IA
I had an Ashland I -115 direct mount on a Cat MT765 but could not use it on a Cat MT835 that I have now. It has the steerable drawbar/3pt hitch and Cat does not want you to put any direct mount scraper on it. You need to remove it and bolt on the proper direct mount hitch ($2,500 worth) to the frame of the tractor. That was out of the question so I hooked onto an old Wapco 21 yard dolly scraper and it’s been working great. I’ve used Reynolds, JD and Ashland scrapers. All were direct mounts and gave smoother cuts especially if pulled by a tracked tractor. Using Trimble’s FieldLevel II does make a dolly scraper perform almost equal to the direct mounts now. The automatic hyd control can react so much faster then doing it manually.

Does JD ok the use of a 15 yard direct mount scraper to your tractor?

Tom N.

hey
Posted 11/12/2010 18:16 (#1432922 - in reply to #1432431)

I have a fairly new one for sale if you interested. Email me and I will get you some pics and info next week
KDD
Posted 11/12/2010 18:55 (#1432968 - in reply to #1432431)

Leesburg, Ohio
Bought a used Holcomb with front dolly last year...I think it's a 10 or 12 yd. Got it for about half or 2/3 of new price, and it seems to be in great shape. Pulling it with our 8420 or 8300, but even had it hooked to the 4450 with no duals for a small waterway repair, and it did just fine with small bites. It will stop a big tractor right now if you lower it down a bit too much.

Two neighbors have had Garfields for several years, and they seem to like them better than the Holcombs, but they both look the same to me, and the Holcomb dealer says the Garfields are a copy of the Holcomb...not sure about that, tho.

I would not want one without hydraulic eject. I can see where a mounted type would trasnfer weight and give more traction, but I haven't seen a problem with the dolly wheel type, and they are very easy to hook up if we set the blade down on a couple wood blocks when unhooking...the hydraulics will lift the dolly wheels off the ground, and when you go to hook up next time, you can pick the tongue up and swing it into place by hand.
collegeboy
Posted 11/12/2010 18:58 (#1432970 - in reply to #1432431)

Slicker than a Yes album.
This guy has a bunch.

http://www.gncmp.com/Used%20Scrapers.htm
Angus in ncmo
Posted 11/12/2010 19:33 (#1433036 - in reply to #1432431)

After reading all the replies, I'd like to add that the ejection style can also be used to 'finish' blade your project by simply leaving the crowd gate forward and using it like a box blade.  Even if it has a bucktooth bit, it will still do very good on 'roughing in' finish work.  With a dump style you can 'finish' with them, but it will take what seems like forever, compared to the ejector scraper, constantly reloading dirt when trying to finish and then have to 'dump' that in a pile, and then smooth that new pile. 

I've run both ejection and tip/dump style and for what you're wanting to do, I agree with the others -- forced ejection is what you want.  And if you're not going to be doing a lot of projects where you'll be hooked up for any length of time, get the dolly wheel style.  Quick to hook up, and use standard drawbar.

JAR
Posted 11/12/2010 20:07 (#1433107 - in reply to #1433036)

Madision County, IL
"I'd like to add that the ejection style can also be used to 'finish' blade your project by simply leaving the crowd gate forward and using it like a box blade."

Good point. I figured that out this year and it will do a nice job. I think that is one situation where a direct connect would shine.

I didn't realize a direct connect what such a pain to hook up.

Jay
collegeboy
Posted 11/12/2010 20:08 (#1433111 - in reply to #1432910)

You have pics of your Wabco? This is a 23 yd from Humboldt Iowa. He said he had another one in Florida to get, though I don't know why we need 2...lol

(scraper1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments scraper1.jpg (51KB - 1417 downloads)
neks
Posted 11/12/2010 21:35 (#1433244 - in reply to #1433107)

Riley County Kansas
We run a Holcomb 8 yard with hydraulic ejection and dolly wheels and can honestly say it is probably one of the best purchases we have ever made.
dondozer
Posted 11/13/2010 08:39 (#1433634 - in reply to #1432431)

NW Ohio,near Findlay
Reading all the post on pull scrapers, used them long time ago here in Ohio building ponds and waterways. Did lots of work cutting streets in subdivisons and building sites for buildings. Pull scrapers with dolly wheels are a pain the butt. In the late 60's went to JD 5010 self elevating (chain ) scrapers and as you guys say never looked back. Later got a 760-A, run JD 860's and JD 762's. A self elevating scraper is so much more efficent loading with no spinning, breaks up dirt, unloads better, the harder the clay ground the better. Yes you're going to say don't want to maintain another machine and chain, but sooo much better. Chains and sprockets last 3000 hours in our clay dirt, long time for a farmer using it part time. Pure sand can shorten chain life, but we never run all that much in sand. But pulling the heck out of a expensive 4 wheel drive tractor can't be cheap either. Look online under consctruction and price self elevating scrapers. Might be suprised how reasonable they are right now. Try one on a demo, purchase lease, will never go back.
shortbox
Posted 11/13/2010 08:49 (#1433652 - in reply to #1433634)

dondozer - 11/13/2010 08:39

Reading all the post on pull scrapers, used them long time ago here in Ohio building ponds and waterways. Did lots of work cutting streets in subdivisons and building sites for buildings. Pull scrapers with dolly wheels are a pain the butt. In the late 60's went to JD 5010 self elevating (chain ) scrapers and as you guys say never looked back. Later got a 760-A, run JD 860's and JD 762's. A self elevating scraper is so much more efficent loading with no spinning, breaks up dirt, unloads better, the harder the clay ground the better. Yes you're going to say don't want to maintain another machine and chain, but sooo much better. Chains and sprockets last 3000 hours in our clay dirt, long time for a farmer using it part time. Pure sand can shorten chain life, but we never run all that much in sand. But pulling the heck out of a expensive 4 wheel drive tractor can't be cheap either. Look online under consctruction and price self elevating scrapers. Might be suprised how reasonable they are right now. Try one on a demo, purchase lease, will never go back.

I was always interested in these but I doubt that they stand up on stoney land. Or am I wrong???
Tom N
Posted 11/13/2010 10:22 (#1433830 - in reply to #1433111)

Missouri river bottom south of Sioux City, IA
The Wapco that I have actually had an engine and transmission on it that was taken off and a hitch added. As you know the weight of the scraper allows you to cut through any hard compacted soils. I bought it for $10,000 so it was reasonably priced for the number of yards it holds. It needs a new coat of paint otherwise its working good for me.

I may talk to Gary about the one he is getting from Florida if it’s not already sold. I guess there has been a run on new and used scrapers because of the dry open fall.

Tom N.

(21 yard Wapco scraper.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 21 yard Wapco scraper.jpg (60KB - 1238 downloads)
dondozer
Posted 11/13/2010 12:59 (#1434043 - in reply to #1433652)

NW Ohio,near Findlay
Bigger than a basketball can be a problem during loading. Most of the time it won't pop a big one in, just lift and go over. Can pick big ones up empty by running floor back, back over and shut floor and go dump it. Can load pure stone up to 4 inch stuff, stripped many of old road beds with ripper teeth on cutting edge.
Angus in ncmo
Posted 11/13/2010 13:39 (#1434088 - in reply to #1433107)

I didn't realize a direct connect what such a pain to hook up.

biggest pain is switching drawbars, the rest doesn't really amount to much

blakezr2
Posted 11/13/2010 16:44 (#1434282 - in reply to #1433634)

WC Iowa
I can haul just about as much with a tractor and Cat 70 scraper and more with our ashland I-155 and a MFWD tractor than our JD 860A (15yd.) ever would. Plus i can actualy hear when i go home. That old Detroit 2 cycle was a loud SOB. I do agree that chain was nice for getting a full load and also you could unload very smooth. The local welder has a 760a that he is taking the "tractor" off and making the scraper 3point mount, will be neat to see how it works out.
tornado2
Posted 11/14/2010 12:27 (#1435396 - in reply to #1432922)

Kansas
I am interested. What is your email?
collegeboy
Posted 11/14/2010 22:50 (#1436319 - in reply to #1433830)

Ours had a power unit, too. Found a manual with some diagrams and such, but no real good pics. Been used very little, so it will last us a long time. The last I heard about that other scraper was 2003, so who knows where it is now. Obviously, Gary is the one to talk to about it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)