AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Turning fuel up '96 DT466
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon S
Posted 7/18/2010 12:57 (#1278076)
Subject: Turning fuel up '96 DT466

Does anyone know the procedure to turn the fuel up on a P-Series Bosch pump?

I'm thinking that I can just loosen the spring in the AFC housing by turning the star wheel. I was hoping to avoid messing with the gov springs. Has anyone just moved the star wheel and gotten by?

It's a real turd and I've already checked all the obvious, filters, wastegate, linkage, etc. I have an old rotary pump 466 that'll run circles around this one.

Edited by Jon S 7/18/2010 13:11

(P-series Bosch.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P-series Bosch.jpg (48KB - 1373 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
greenfarmer
Posted 7/18/2010 17:46 (#1278380 - in reply to #1278076)
Subject: RE: Turning fuel up '96 DT466

Central Minnesota
I think your looking in the wrong spot to gain a few more ponies... Go on the back side of the pump, towards the bottom... There should be a small 2 1/2x2 1/2 square plate... With 4.. 8.8mm bolts holding it on... Take your 10mm wrench, pop out the 4 bolts.. Then inside you'll see a small adjustment screw with a nut on it... take that 10mm wrench, loosen the jam nut, and turn that screw in probably a half to one full turn... But... I'm not implying there's any warranty on this advice... Your exhaust temps might get a lil warm if you work it... You also could advance your pump timing a little bit, and that would help with power, and would help keep your exhaust temps a little bit lower. Although, i really wouldn't recommend doing that without talking to someone first about a set of new injectors.

You could also send your injectors in, and have them checked. It's possible that you might have one that's a bit sticky, or possibly low on "pop off" pressure. Or just go out and buy a new set of reman injectors. Usually that's a bit cheaper.

I used to turn the pump up on a 7140 like this... and it worked pretty good... Except if you forgot to turn it back down after going to the county fair, and you would put it on the 800 bu grain cart, she would run a little warmer, but sure didn't have much of a problem pulling the grain cart around! :)
Jon S
Posted 7/18/2010 18:17 (#1278424 - in reply to #1278380)

I'll agree that I might be looking in the wrong spot, but I think I can accomplish the same results with this method. Someone come along and correct me if I am wrong, please.

Traditionally, I have thought that the back plate needs to be removed, and the screw turned in about 1/4 to 1/2 at a time...and then a test drive. I was just looking for an easier way to get similar results. That's why I asked here. I guess I'm lazy. lol.

(Back Plate.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Back Plate.jpg (47KB - 1176 downloads)
greenfarmer
Posted 7/19/2010 08:49 (#1279174 - in reply to #1278424)
Subject: Re: Turning fuel up '96 DT466

Central Minnesota
Jon,

Your in the right area of that cover, but it's on the bottom of the pump... Straight in line with the pump's camshaft.. Right on the bottom.. You can go a quarter to a half turn at a time. This is actually the simplest and fastest way to "turn it up"... That little screw is the actual fuel screw that i'm talking about...
Jon S
Posted 7/19/2010 18:04 (#1279693 - in reply to #1279174)
Subject: Re: Turning fuel up '96 DT466

There isn't any cover on the bottom of this pump. There are two screws (one tamper proof) on the back plate cover that I have pointed out in the picture. I'm pretty sure that cover is what needs to be removed to access the fuel delivery screw that we both are referring to.

I've done plenty of older Deere's, but never an IH.

Could you please be a little more specific?

Dingaling
Posted 7/18/2010 19:03 (#1278487 - in reply to #1278076)

Owings, Maryland 38.6856 N 76.6752 W
You didn't just use the word "turd" in the same sentence with DT466 did you !!!!! heheheheehee. Thats the same pump that is on my DT408, '94 vintage. When you get it figured out let me know. I have been looking for a fix for several years, only thing I ever heard about was the aneroid screw or something like that, truck will not smoke at all, it would be nice to give it some more fuel without drowning it !!!!
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)