AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Making a Briggs and Stratton Quiet????
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CND
Posted 6/26/2010 22:06 (#1251734)
Subject: Making a Briggs and Stratton Quiet????

Anamoose, ND
Anyone figure out how to make a Briggs and Stratton engine quieter. I have one running on a water pump in my spray trailer, a 48 foot reefer trailer, and I think I am going deaf. How about routing the exhaust down and out the floor? Any type of quiet muffler I can put on? Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jon Hagen
Posted 6/26/2010 22:25 (#1251765 - in reply to #1251734)
Subject: Re: Making a Briggs and Stratton Quiet????

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Routing the exhaust outside may be cheaper and less fumes.
These mufflers work, but pretty expensive.
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strapmain.cfm
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 6/26/2010 22:48 (#1251807 - in reply to #1251734)
Subject: RE: Making a Briggs and Stratton Quiet????

just a tish NE of central ND
When they get quiet it can be a BAD thing because it means they quit working! (I just had to say that!)
Although I don't have my pumps in trailers myself yet, I would think that some steel flex hose plumbed to the exhaust and routed out the floor with a muffler on the end would be a welcome sight/sound/in your situation.But I suppose you would have to manufacture a adapter from the engine block to the flex hose out of tube and a plate to bolt it on in place of the original exhaust.
Just wondering..... have you hand to hand out any cigars yet?
Best wishes! ss

Edited by School Of Hard Knock 6/27/2010 08:44
Dennis SEND
Posted 6/26/2010 22:57 (#1251834 - in reply to #1251734)

Yea, I have a peice of flex pipe on my 13hp honda guy I bought the pump from made it has an elbow and a peice flex peice brazed together works good helps with the noise but most important gets the exhaust smell out of the trailer used to always have to open the side doors to let air move through now only have to open the back enought to start the pump and even when filling the sidedresser (1650 gallons) only takes 9 minutes thanks to a 3" pump but still no smell at all in the trailer even with the back door only open a foot or two. Only problem is that pipe gets HOT and fast will melt right through a plastic AMS bag and then you can smell melted plastic bag instead. Dennis SEND

Edited by Dennis SEND 6/26/2010 23:34
Jon Hagen
Posted 6/26/2010 23:00 (#1251841 - in reply to #1251807)

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
School Of Hard Knock - 6/27/2010 21:48

When they get quiet it can be a BAD thing because it means they quit working! (I just had to say that!)
Although I dont have my pumps in trailers myself yet, I would think that some steel flex hose plumbed to the exhaust and routed out the floor with a muffler on the end would be a welcome sight/sound/in your situation.But I suppose you would have to manufacture a adapter from the engine block to the flex hose out ot tube and a plate to bolt it on in place of the original exhaust.
Just wondering..... have you had to had out any cigars yet?
Best wishes! ss

Hooking a flex hose to those small briggs engines should not be much of a problem, most have both the holes for a bolt on muffler plus pipe thread in the hole so you can install a pipe stub. A full size car muffler under / outside the trailer with the flex hose plumbed in should eliminate all but the engines mechanical noise.
IH Driver
Posted 6/26/2010 23:20 (#1251872 - in reply to #1251734)

Northeast Arkansas
Your lucky to have your Briggs and Strattons actually making noise in my opinion!
CND
Posted 6/26/2010 23:35 (#1251886 - in reply to #1251734)

Anamoose, ND
I have had this same Briggs and Stratton pump for almost 10 years now. It actually starts great and it runs as good as the day I bought it. Thinking I might have to drill another hole in the floor and route the exhaust out that way.

Steve-No cigars yet...sounds like Monday unless he surprises us tomorrow! Got caught up spraying today so I am ready to spend a few days with him when he arrives.
Haleiwa
Posted 6/26/2010 23:53 (#1251911 - in reply to #1251734)

West Chazy, New York
One of the easiest ways  to lessen the impact of exhaust noise is to get it above your ears.  Running the pipe up above the roof of your trailer will make it seem quieter than running it down through the floor.
PeteMN
Posted 6/26/2010 23:53 (#1251912 - in reply to #1251734)

E.Central MN
Two years ago I remember listening to the noisy engine in the van trailer with the guy that sprayed our crops. I couldn't stand it due to previous damage to my hearing, figured it would take its toll on him, too. Last year I noticed right away that he had built a small enclosed platform under the trailer deck and mounted the pump under there along with a hose reel. When it was time to fill up, the guy would start the engine and grab the fill hose which was mounted right next to the pump. It worked pretty slick. Don't take chances with your hearing.
mike85
Posted 6/27/2010 00:03 (#1251917 - in reply to #1251886)

E.C. IA
I have a briggs on a flatbed. Removed muffler and used a 1/2" pipe and 90 to get away from the engine. Then used a bent piece of 3/4 emt conduit for exhaust pipe. Slipped emt over the pipe thread and ran under trailer deck, attached muffler to end. Lowers the noise a lot if your're working on top of the trailer deck. Briggs always worked fine for me, btw.
olf20
Posted 6/27/2010 07:44 (#1252009 - in reply to #1251912)

NW ILLINOIS
Briggs and other aftermarket make a "Quiet Tone Muffler"
Makes a big difference.
olf20 / Bob
Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 6/27/2010 09:06 (#1252083 - in reply to #1251834)

Chebanse, IL.....

Dennis

We need a similar fix to yours. I'm using a 13 hp Honda knock-off. Was the flex pipe easily adaptable to the Honda? I'm not sure how the basic exhaust starts out...yet. Would wrapping the flex pipe with some type of exhaust insulator wrap help your heat problem? My pump is on top of a drop-deck trailer & I'd like to exit the exhaust BELOW the drop deck for noise reasons. Since our setup is an open station model, fumes is not the problem, just the operators proximity to the pump/noise.

Thanks

tommyw-5088
Posted 6/27/2010 15:42 (#1252523 - in reply to #1252009)

south Texas , York Rife Freemason
I have a muffler from a c farmall on mine , it works good , and was cheap enough at TSC (one of the few times they had somthing i needed''''''''''''' :)
Dennis SEND
Posted 6/28/2010 01:04 (#1253107 - in reply to #1252083)

Ron..NE ILL..10/48 - 6/27/2010 08:06

Dennis

We need a similar fix to yours. I'm using a 13 hp Honda knock-off. Was the flex pipe easily adaptable to the Honda? I'm not sure how the basic exhaust starts out...yet. Would wrapping the flex pipe with some type of exhaust insulator wrap help your heat problem? My pump is on top of a drop-deck trailer & I'd like to exit the exhaust BELOW the drop deck for noise reasons. Since our setup is an open station model, fumes is not the problem, just the operators proximity to the pump/noise.

Thanks

Ron, You can kinda see it in this pic, like I said got it from the guy I bought the pump from all I did was drill the hole in the floor and run a pair of self-tapping screws in the muffler to hold it on.

Edited by Dennis SEND 6/28/2010 01:06

(jse_Farm_Pics_015.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments jse_Farm_Pics_015.jpg (74KB - 879 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)