AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

swimming pool thought
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

souldout
Posted 2/23/2010 15:18 (#1089638)
Subject: swimming pool thought

Neighbor of mine used a ring of a Harvestore to make an above ground swimming pool. Thirty years of use and his grandkids still use it every summer. Set in concrete. Certainly doesn't blow away in the western Kansas wind. The dark blue steel sides seem to help warm the water in summer sun (doesn't that sound good this time of year). Does anyone know where a person could get a ring for something similar today - say 20-30 foot in diameter? Kids have 'bout outgrown the stock tank. TIA

From northwest Kansas...Make it a great Day!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
msb
Posted 2/23/2010 16:34 (#1089731 - in reply to #1089638)
Subject: RE: swimming pool thought

Lapel, In
Grain bin panels will work. Install the bolts from the inside. Set the panels on buried concrete blocks and level the bottom with some sand . Buy a pool liner. Save the expense of pouring concrete. Probably would cost less to buy an above ground pool if you don't have the grain bin panels.
julie26haley
Posted 3/30/2010 23:23 (#1144437 - in reply to #1089731)

I would also like to know where did you bought that? I want to add it on my swimming pool.

I would also suggest that you buy the aqua-rite chlorine generator for your swimming pool to have a lively feeling. You can have a warm swim.
IowaMark
Posted 2/23/2010 18:17 (#1089868 - in reply to #1089638)

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
I made a in ground pool for my kids & wife 21 years ago & it wasn't very expensive either. I hired a local dirt contractor to doing some work for me at the time & he had an excavator here. So I had him dig a 25 x 40 kind of a bell shape pool in the dirt. The shallow end is about 3 feet deep & the deepest end is about 8 feet deep. The sides are kind of moon shaped meaning it has a gradual slope to them. I made the steps at the shallow end by forming them out of the dirt. Next I put an ordinary blue tarp like you can buy at like Menard's & use this for the liner. I use old silo bricks I got free from a neighbor who was tearing done to old the liner in place all the way around the top. I bought a used pool pump with a sand filter to keep the water clean. The whole project at the time cost me $1000 for everything including hiring an electrician to come out & bury a wire to the pump. I'm sure it would be more then that now. I wouldn't have made it that big if I had to do it over again.

I just leave the old liner in all winter long & pump out the old water in the spring & pull out the old liner with a tractor & put in a new liner every spring. My kids don't live at home anymore & hardly ever use it but my wife insists on putting in a new liner every spring. She still loves it & uses it alot but I might use it twice a year if I'm lucky. If it was up to me I would have it filled with dirt & mow it every year instead of swimming in it. Some things you just have to do to keep your better 1/2 happy.

When the kids were younger they had alot of fun in it & it got used alot by neighbors, friends & relatives. We do have alot of found memories of use over the years.

On a more serious note pools are alot of responibility & make sure you check with your insurance company for coverage & make sure you put a fence up around it no matter what kind of pool you decide to go with. Good-luck. Mark
sharecropper
Posted 2/23/2010 21:00 (#1090221 - in reply to #1089868)

southern tip Illinois
add the fan and heater and you have a hot tub.
ronna12klein
Posted 3/31/2010 00:35 (#1144511 - in reply to #1089638)

WOW! Is it true? How's the pool today? No problems? I would also like to construct one using the the ring of Harvestore. Swimming pool lifespan is very important. I want my grandkids to enjoy swimming too.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)