AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bringing equipment into Canada
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gerard
Posted 12/2/2009 20:15 (#947199)
Subject: Bringing equipment into Canada

Woodham, Ontario
Considering buying a used farm implement in Michigan and bringing it into Ontario. What is required for this? I would cross at Port Huron/Sarnia. Can I pull a farm implement across the border with a pickup truck? Would have to figure out how to mate a 2pt hitch to a F350...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
redoak
Posted 12/2/2009 20:49 (#947285 - in reply to #947199)
Subject: Re: Bringing equipment into Canada

sw ontario
-kearney planters has one of those 2-point hook-ups on a 1-ton...if you are an incorporated business get an import number (like your bn. #-except different letters at end) before crossing--we hire bryans too truck ours--they are reasonable and do all paper work--we hauled 2 pieces back last year ourselves and took about 3 hrs. each time too clear customs as you have too do paper work your selfd and customs sit there and watch--and brokers don't do 1 time entries anymore
hardfrost
Posted 12/2/2009 20:55 (#947297 - in reply to #947199)
Subject: RE: Bringing equipment into Canada

Temiskaming, Ontario
Once brought used tillage equipment into Ontario from Massachusetts, and had a neighbour who brought a used tractor up a few years ago. Stuff has to be squeaky clean, and you'll need a broker. Useful brokers are rare for this sort of thing so we had our local dealer "buy" the equipment and then we bought it from him once it got here, plus his brokerage fees etc.
farmers_edge
Posted 12/2/2009 21:17 (#947335 - in reply to #947297)

Belleville, Ontario
I had Delles Carriers to bring a snapper head into Ontario last year from New York State. Dwayne Bogart done the paper work for me. I am used to paper work doing Nutrient Management and crop planning, but sometimes it is best to let an expert be an expert. Here's Dwayne's contact info. Good luck. Coach.
Dwane Bogart
Import Consultant
S.M. Hewitt(Sarnia)Limited
1-519-332-4411
1-519-332-4650
WD45 Fred
Posted 12/2/2009 21:47 (#947411 - in reply to #947335)

Stayner, Ontario, Simcoe County
FOR TRUCKING CALL BILL ANGLER AT 519 595 8909.
THEY GIVE VERY GOOD SERVICE.
Allan B
Posted 12/2/2009 23:14 (#947587 - in reply to #947335)

Southwest Ontario Canada
I have also used the Delles Carriers/S.M. Hewitt (Tom Knight) combo a few times and have always been happy with the work done and prices, they are good people and work well together.
WTW
Posted 12/3/2009 00:10 (#947671 - in reply to #947199)

Winkler, Manitoba Canada
I have not had any trouble bringing farm equipment to Canada from the U.S.A. Non-powered equipment has not required notice to the American customs while powered equipment requires that you let them know ahead of time. I have never used a broker for doing this. The minimal paperwork has always been completed by the Canada Customs agent.
Jon B
Posted 12/3/2009 06:48 (#947789 - in reply to #947199)

Heck, drive your tractor across the border.

A few years ago (2003), the sugar beet harvesting company that we belonged to sold 2 H&S beet carts back to the USA. We agreed to deliver them to a place in Fort Gratiot (Port Huron). So, since the beet carts were only 15 miles from the border, we thoroughly cleaned, then drove the tractors across with the carts. Traffic didn't like being behind 2 tractors blocking 2 lanes, but it made for a good story. Customs wasn't bad - took the truck entrance. So long as the paper work jives, theres no problem. EDIT - (This is not my own photo - it is from someone else in the harvesting company at the time)

But yeah, most of the time, in normal situations, we deal with Hewitt. Good guys to work with - this isn't their first rodeo

Edited by Jon B 12/3/2009 06:52

(tractor border.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tractor border.jpg (33KB - 99 downloads)
Skylane
Posted 12/3/2009 06:56 (#947795 - in reply to #947199)

Illinois-Ontario
To confirm what was said, a powered unit does require at least 72 hours notice to US customs for exporting into Canada and it does have to be squeaky clean, no dirt. I have brought a few things over and did it myself with no hassle.
Luke Skywalker
Posted 12/3/2009 07:19 (#947813 - in reply to #947199)

Arva, Ontario

Gerard,

If used, squeeky clean. New is easier.

How wide? You may need to ask the MDOT or Bridge authority for a little help if over 12' wide.

You can broker it yourself if you have an importer number, but customs will treat you like dirt (worse than normal).

If you don't cross often, and aren't familiar with the culture, I can recommend a very good firm from London that can process your paperwork that you simply hand in at the booth.

kpnixon (at)   isp  (dot) ca     E-mail if you can break the secret code...

Luke    aka Ken - Arva

Posted 12/3/2009 07:22 (#947816 - in reply to #947199)

curious whos the dealer your buying it from.
Gerard
Posted 12/3/2009 08:45 (#947913 - in reply to #947816)

Woodham, Ontario
Looking at an implement from Fillmore equip in Holland, MI.

It is only 8' wide and weighs only 10,000 lbs. So should be easy to transport. It is used. I don't know yet if I can mate the cat2 2-point hitch to the F350.

We have never done anything like it. I could get the local dealer to do it, but if it is not a big hassle I can maybe save some money. I want to look at it first anyway and if I could towit home behind the truck that would be pretty simple.
Baler Guy
Posted 12/3/2009 10:32 (#948067 - in reply to #947199)

We've brought a few pieces of farm equipment across. As long as it's for your own farm it's no problem. We use the Sarnia crossing and if the equipment is not too wide or high just go through where the cars go. Brought a 30' header on a header cart one time.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)